MCAT goal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toddrickburton

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking the MCAT for the first time this May and don't know what to expect. I am in a master's program currently with a GPA of 3.95 but my undergrad GPA was 3.07 with an upward trend... I have 2 years research experience, co-authorship on a publication, was a member of tri-beta, 400+ volunteer hours, and 50 shadowing hours. I traditionally score a little above average on standardized exams (ACT = 28, GRE combined = 316) so although I've been studying for months, I am worried I won't score super well, like above 510, for the MCAT. Which would be problematic considering my very low undergrad GPA.

What score would make me a competitive applicant?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You’ll quickly find out that it’s a different kind of test. Take a diagnostic to see where you stand. If you want to go MD, shoot for 515+ (that undergrad GPA is going to be difficult to overcome even with a really great score). For DO, shoot for 508+. It’s not to say that you can’t get in with a lower score, but again, the undergrad gpa thing.

Reactions: 1 users
I like the benchmarks above. Push for 515 and see if you can open pretty much all the doors you can.

Take a practice test and don't freak out. It's just the beginning of your MCAT journey, but it'll help you gauge how long your plan will be to be and where you'll need to focus the most.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
You’ll quickly find out that it’s a different kind of test. Take a diagnostic to see where you stand. If you want to go MD, shoot for 515+ (that undergrad GPA is going to be difficult to overcome even with a really great score). For DO, shoot for 508+. It’s not to say that you can’t get in with a lower score, but again, the undergrad gpa thing.
Thank you!
I like the benchmarks above. Push for 515 and see if you can open pretty much all the doors you can.

Take a practice test and don't freak out. It's just the beginning of your MCAT journey, but it'll help you gauge how long your plan will be to be and where you'll need to focus the most.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Approach it as a non-traditional applicant, which you are. I didn't have a clue how med school admission really worked, when I began this process a year ago, but I've seen people with a 3.2 GPA and MCAT of 505 get into a MD program or DO program and sometimes both, and I've seen people with a 4.0 and 524 MCAT who didn't get into a single program. I suspect they applied to top schools and didn't have enough volunteering or clinical exposure. Every applicant is a unique case. Did you go to a very competitive undergrad school or take a difficult major such as engineering. All I can say is EVERYTHING matters. When they say holistic review, they are not joking around. Otherwise, those with near perfect records would have 10-15/25 schools accepting them (vs zero). Do yourself a favor and start looking at the Tier 3 schools from this year now. 2019-2020 Allopathic School Specific Discussions. You can learn a ton by looking at the schools you plan to apply to now vs. waiting later in the cycle. One thing I learned is most people apply as soon as the cycle opens. Start writing your personal statement and 12 broad topic essays NOW, not when it is a month from the due date. Many had essays written before they actual prompts even came out, causing some frustration because they focused so heavily on the prior year's essays rather than writing the 12 broad based essays. Its much easier to tailor from a general broad based essay than taking it school by school, which you will end up doing anyways once you realize that 95% of essays can be easily tweaked for another school. Duke and Vandy are the exceptions, due to Duke requiring 9 500 word essays and Vanderbilt requiring a 1200 word autobiography.

Last edited:
Approach it as a non-traditional applicant, which you are. I didn't have a clue how med school admission really worked, when I began this process a year ago, but I've seen people with a 3.2 GPA and MCAT of 505 get into a MD program or DO program and sometimes both, and I've seen people with a 4.0 and 524 MCAT who didn't get into a single program. I suspect they applied to top schools and didn't have enough volunteering or clinical exposure. Every applicant is a unique case. Did you go to a very competitive undergrad school or take a difficult major such as engineering. All I can say is EVERYTHING matters. When they say holistic review, they are not joking around. Otherwise, those with near perfect records would have 10-15/25 schools accepting them (vs zero). Do yourself a favor and start looking at the Tier 3 schools from this year now. 2019-2020 Allopathic School Specific Discussions. You can learn a ton by looking at the schools you plan to apply to now vs. waiting later in the cycle. One thing I learned is most people apply as soon as the cycle opens. Start writing your personal statement and 12 broad topic essays NOW, not when it is a month from the due date. Many had essays written before they actual prompts even came out, causing some frustration because they focused so heavily on the prior year's essays rather than writing the 12 broad based essays. Its much easier to tailor from a general broad based essay than taking it school by school, which you will end up doing anyways once you realize that 95% of essays can be easily tweaked for another school. Duke and Vandy are the exceptions, due to Duke requiring 9 500 word essays and Vanderbilt requiring a 1200 word autobiography.

Is there a list of these 12 broad-based essays you could point us to or is this just an arbitrary number you picked out? Thanks!