Is my goal MCAT score realistic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

afterdarkreader

Reaction score
I just took my first MCAT diagnostic over Christmas break and got a 504. I start seriously prepping in April to take the MCAT end of July. My original goal was 518. Realistically, is that a viable goal? I reviewed my test and my biggest weaknesses were Biochem-related questions (I'm taking biochem over the summer while I prep), and things related to passage interpretation. Is a 518 still a good goal score? What would be a good goal? I currently have 3.83 GPA and would like to be competitive for more prestigious schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Which diagnostic did you take? Some companies are deflated. I got 500-505 on TRP tests early 6 weeks before my exam.

But whether realistic or can vary from person to person, study habits, weaknesses, etc.

A good goal score would be 528. Your actual score will be determined by how much work you put into studying.

RESOURCES: Kaplan books (used or old versions work), UWorld Qbank, NS or Altiu$ practice exams, AAMC section banks (FYI: the MCAT Flashcards are only useful for CARS), AAMC FLs.

1. Read all of the Kaplan books using active reading techniques (i.e., asking yourself questions as you read and trying to synthesize concepts). Consider scribbling down brief notes, especially while reading the biochemistry book since you said that it is your biggest weakness. This initial content review phase should only last a couple of months at most. Don't focus on memorizing every little detail in the books, because that's unproductive. The MCAT isn't as much about fact recall as it is about critical thinking, and you'll only be able to truly master the MCAT by doing a lot of practice questions.

2. Start drilling with the UWorld question bank. Take an NS or Altiu$ practice exam once a week (under strict test conditions) and track your progress on a spreadsheet. After each question bank session and after each practice exam, go through EVERY question. For questions you get correct, make sure you know precisely why your answer was right and others were wrong. For questions you get incorrect, make sure that you know exactly where your confusion lied. Make note of the question topics/types that you struggle with so that you can detect patterns; when you detect a pattern, shift your focus to reviewing that area of weakness. Keep doing content review on specific topics you're underperforming in.

3. Starting approximately two months before the exam, drill the AAMC section banks. Don't get frustrated; these questions are known to be challenging. Again, check your answers thoroughly and actively. The AAMC section banks are golden, because they will prepare you for the toughest passages you'll see on exam day. Keep doing content review on specific topics you're underperforming in.

4. Starting approximately a month before the exam, take the official AAMC practice exams (under strict test conditions). These are the best predictors for your actual performance, but you can still boost your score by checking your answers thoroughly and reviewing what you seem to be messing up on. Keep doing content review on specific topics you're underperforming in.

5. On test day, be confident that all of your hard work paid off and trust that your AAMC FLs are relatively accurate predictors of test day performance. Don't make any extreme changes to your regular routine.

If you follow the above steps and devote enough of your time, you should be pleased with your result. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
A good goal score would be 528. Your actual score will be determined by how much work you put into studying.

RESOURCES: Kaplan books (used or old versions work), UWorld Qbank, NS or Altiu$ practice exams, AAMC Qbank (FYI: the MCAT Flashcards are only useful for CARS), AAMC FLs.

1. Read all of the Kaplan books using active reading techniques (i.e., asking yourself questions as you read and trying to synthesize concepts). Consider scribbling down brief notes, especially while reading the biochemistry book since you said that it is your biggest weakness. This initial content review phase should only last a couple of months at most. Don't focus on memorizing every little detail in the books, because that's unproductive. The MCAT isn't as much about fact recall as it is about critical thinking, and you'll only be able to truly master the MCAT by doing a lot of practice questions.

2. Start drilling with the UWorld question bank. Take an NS or Altiu$ practice exam once a week (under strict test conditions) and track your progress on a spreadsheet. After each question bank session and after each practice exam, go through EVERY question. For questions you get correct, make sure you know precisely why your answer was right and others were wrong. For questions you get incorrect, make sure that you know exactly where your confusion lied. Make note of the question topics/types that you struggle with so that you can detect patterns; when you detect a pattern, shift your focus to reviewing that area of weakness. Keep doing content review on specific topics you're underperforming in.

3. Starting approximately two months before the exam, drill the AAMC question bank. Don't get frustrated; these questions are known to be challenging. Again, check your answers thoroughly and actively. The AAMC question bank is golden, because it will prepare you for the toughest passages you'll see on exam day. Keep doing content review on specific topics you're underperforming in.

4. Starting approximately a month before the exam, take the official AAMC practice exams (under strict test conditions). These are the best predictors for your actual performance, but you can still boost your score by checking your answers thoroughly and reviewing what you seem to be messing up on. Keep doing content review on specific topics you're underperforming in.

5. On test day, be confident that all of your hard work paid off and trust that your AAMC FLs are relatively accurate predictors of test day performance. Don't make any extreme changes to your regular routine.

If you follow the above steps and devote enough of your time, you should be pleased with your result. Best of luck!
Just to make a note on this: The AAMC Section bank is the one that is closest to the toughest passages you will come across (With the exception of CARS Qbank) the Qbanks are easier and more just for understanding the format of the AAMC question style.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just took my first MCAT diagnostic over Christmas break and got a 504. I start seriously prepping in April to take the MCAT end of July. My original goal was 518. Realistically, is that a viable goal? I reviewed my test and my biggest weaknesses were Biochem-related questions (I'm taking biochem over the summer while I prep), and things related to passage interpretation. Is a 518 still a good goal score? What would be a good goal? I currently have 3.83 GPA and would like to be competitive for more prestigious schools.
You're shooting for the 95th+ %ile.

Is that realistic?

Only you can answer this.

Just to make a note on this: The AAMC Section bank is the one that is closest to the toughest passages you will come across (With the exception of CARS Qbank) the Qbanks are easier and more just for understanding the format of the AAMC question style.

Yeah, I meant section banks. The AAMC Qbanks aren't very important. Editing accordingly.

I took a diagnostic and scored a 501. I got a 519 on the real thing. Your diagnostic is mostly just to scare you into studying and let you see what the test is like.
That is how I felt taking the Diagnostic (I used AAMC FL 1). I self studied all of Psych/Soc over winter break and felt I had a pretty good grasp on the material. Took FL1 and got a 125 section score simply because I didn't understand the material in the context of how AAMC presents it. That is the biggest thing for the MCAT, even if you memorize everything In every resource, if you can't apply it in the way AAMC wants then you are SOL.

Reactions: 1 user

My practice scores shot up dramitically after taking biochem. A 518 is definitely feasible if you put in the effort and have what it takes. Shoot for the stars

My practice scores shot up dramitically after taking biochem. A 518 is definitely feasible if you put in the effort and have what it takes. Shoot for the stars
Shoot for the stars! Just make sure you are using the right units, or else you will be trapped in the never ending void of dark nothingness.

Reactions: 1 users
Absolutely feasible. Put in the time and energy required (this could be different for each person) and I firmly believe almost anyone can get there!

Members don't see this ad :)

RESOURCES: Kaplan books (used or old versions work), UWorld Qbank, NS or Altiu$ practice exams, AAMC section banks (FYI: the MCAT Flashcards are only useful for CARS), AAMC FLs.

3. Starting approximately two months before the exam, drill the AAMC section banks. Don't get frustrated; these questions are known to be challenging. Again, check your answers thoroughly and actively. The AAMC question bank is golden, because it will prepare you for the toughest passages you'll see on exam day. Keep doing content review on specific topics you're underperforming in.

I did pretty much exactly this and got a 524. For what it's worth, I never got higher than 516 on either Altiu* or NextStep tests. There are also numerous mistakes in them.

I also think it's better to take the AAMC exams last so you get a better idea of what your test day performance will be like.

I purchased the UWorld Question Bank... and you won't believe it... its AMAZING. I was initially scoring around 40% correct on them, now im at about 60% - these are much harder than the AAMC Section banks. I've just started doing the AAMC section banks/question pack and getting over 80% of questions correct. Would definitely recommend.

I purchased the UWorld Question Bank... and you won't believe it... its AMAZING. I was initially scoring around 40% correct on them, now im at about 60% - these are much harder than the AAMC Section banks. I've just started doing the AAMC section banks/question pack and getting over 80% of questions correct. Would definitely recommend.
Uworld is perfect for content review, not so much AAMC style.

I have just under a 3.6 at an average undergraduate institution. I started my MCAT studies hoping I could somehow get 512, but being realistic that 510 might be about as good as I could hope for.

Everyone and their cousin will tell you exactly what you need to do, and nothing anyone says seems to match. It was honestly overwhelming at times. Do yourself a favor and do what I did. Talk to people you know personally about what worked and more importantly, didn't work. Get an idea of what materials are out there by looking at SDN and reddit. I made a list of the materials for each section … there are literally at least a dozen for each section … and then I looked at how people scored. If they did poorly (502 or lower overall or 125 or lower in a section) I gave the materials they used a -1. If they got 512 or higher (or 128 or higher for a section) I gave them a +1. At the end I had a useful tally sheet, but more importantly I had something tangible that made me confident in eliminating a seven-book set many people use at SDN, amongst other things. I may have wasted more time than seems necessary, but I wanted the best materials FOR ME. I didn't want to second guess myself later about whether I used the right materials.

I crossed out things that wouldn't work until In had three items for each of the four sections. I borrowed whichever ones I could from my big sib and her friends to look through. I took a few days to decide which worked for me. I focused on answer explanations, because that's where you are going to see improvement. I bought my science books and used them casually during the school year side by side with my classes, and this was pure gold in terms of grasping the material. I learned physics and organic chem better from my review books than my professor.

Once summer came around, I was completely motivated and ready to go. I am 100% sure, looking back now, that the time I spent matching the right materials to me was time well spent. If I would have used the materials people have been recommending in this thread, I'm sure I would not have done as well, because none of them matched my needs. Midway in my review I looked at some other materials along the way, but none of them were as good as what I was using. That doesn't mean that those materials won't work for you, they just didn't explain things well or offer enough good questions like what I was using, which is what I needed. Just be careful not to use something because it's trendy or being recommended by someone who used it blindly.

I ended up using books from three different sources. One was best for the four sciences (C/P and B/B), another was best for P/S, and I used two sources for CARS. I also found some great posts by people like Zenabi90 and KoalaT, who ended up overachieving using the same combination of books I used. It made me confident in my choice of materials.

In the end I scored a 516, well above anything I dreamed I could do. I bombed CARS, like the SAT all over again, but offset that with C/P and B/B.

Good luck in your hunt for what to use and what to do. The only universal truth is that after you review material, you have to do AAMC materials. There is nothing as good as the section banks, once you are ready to do them.

Last edited:
I took a diagnostic and scored a 501. I got a 519 on the real thing. Your diagnostic is mostly just to scare you into studying and let you see what the test is like.

Damn... you just gave me a sliver of hope. I got a 503 on a diagnostic not long ago. Which diagnostic did u take? An actual aamc? Next step? Princeton?

Oh, I completely forgot about UWorld. It is awesome. You can get a 90 day free trial (or at least you could when I took the MCAT last year), and it is LEGIT.

Yeahhhh not anymore. It’s a free seven day trial and now a 90 day free trial is like 200 dollars

Still worth it tho right?

Yeahhhh not anymore. It’s a free seven day trial and now a 90 day free trial is like 200 dollars

Yes definitely worth it. Best third party out there. NS exams are also good for FL practice. Nothing beats aamc though, so save that for the end.

I don't think so. There are better materials out there that will give you more passages and better solutions.
I disagree. It sounds like you've never actually used UWorld. Each question is followed by a very detailed explanation of all the concepts you needed to understand in order to solve the question. Their explanations even have figures that they made to help illustrate those concepts. You could do a good chunk of content review only using UWorld imo. In addition, each possible answer choice is followed by a detailed explanation of why it is right or wrong. I've done NS practice tests, Kaplan practice tests, an EK practice test, and Kaplan question bank and nothing even comes close. The MCAT is a reasoning test, not a content regurgitation test. Uworld is the only resource that actually makes you use you're brain when you're solving their questions.

I tried UWorld for a while. I used them until I realized they weren't as good as the passages in my review books. I didn't find their explanations beneficial and felt they droned on at points. They didn't offer me anything unique for MCAT reasoning. I also didn't find them to be realistic compared to my MCAT.

I'll agree that they are better than the other materials you listed, but they are not the only resource that makes you use your brain when solving their questions as you say. They are at best, the second best materials at making you use your brain.

I disagree. It sounds like you've never actually used UWorld. Each question is followed by a very detailed explanation of all the concepts you needed to understand in order to solve the question. Their explanations even have figures that they made to help illustrate those concepts. You could do a good chunk of content review only using UWorld imo. In addition, each possible answer choice is followed by a detailed explanation of why it is right or wrong. I've done NS practice tests, Kaplan practice tests, an EK practice test, and Kaplan question bank and nothing even comes close. The MCAT is a reasoning test, not a content regurgitation test. Uworld is the only resource that actually makes you use you're brain when you're solving their questions.

Why do you keep advocating for UWorld? Makes me think you made an account specifically to advocate for UWorld...

Why do you keep advocating for UWorld? Makes me think you made an account specifically to advocate for UWorld...
LMAO I can guarantee I don't work for them. I genuinely believe they are the best 3rd party resource out there. I also did the questions in my review books (I used kaplan for content) but I didn't find it that helpful and there's a very limited amount. Maybe your review books were different. But even after doing content review, you need some kind of source of practice problems, and UWorld is one of the best out there. They had a lot of experimental passages where you had to analyze graphs. For me it felt most similar to aamc material.

Also I literally made 2 posts recommending UWorld, and was only responding to a claim I disagreed with. Regardless, I get my score back on Feb 20th, so we'll see then.

Do they limit how many free trials you can do? Also, I think it's totally worth it. I got more out of UWorld than my entire Kaplan course.

Do they limit how many free trials you can do? Also, I think it's totally worth it. I got more out of UWorld than my entire Kaplan course.
The problem with the free trial now is that they only limit it to 100 questions. So the only way you can actually use all the questions is by buying the subscription. Kinda annoying.

The problem with the free trial now is that they only limit it to 100 questions. So the only way you can actually use all the questions is by buying the subscription. Kinda annoying.

Ah, okay. Well, I still think it's worth the money. I'd much rather get UWorld and a test pack from NS than a course from Kaplan or something. I learned way more from that stuff.

Can you please elaborate why UWORLD is so valuable? Mainly for content?

Yes. The explanations for each question are GOLD. Their explanations alone are worth the cost. Also, the questions are slightly more difficult in most of the sections, so it's good practice. You can also use it for timing. There are different settings so you can practice with a countdown clock or with the clock running up to see how long it took you.