MCAT/GPA honesty & schools I should apply to June 2022 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thetimehascome21

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am just getting a little nervous about the upcoming cycle and could appreciate some feedback.

I am a black female, graduating from uni this year, applying in June, and doing a competitive 1 year research postbacc during my gap year.
MCAT: 507 GPA 3.86. Hoping to apply to 15 MD schools and 10ish DO school. Preference MD. In a state with very few state schools, and the few they have have high average stats.

Do you think I have a good chance for MD. Application has lots of volunteer hours and scribing, with small gaps due to COVID limitations in shadowing. About 100 hours in shadowing, lots of teaching assistant/tutoring. Also a student counselor on campus. Won’t be able too discuss postbacc on primaries but will have for discussion during secondaries.

Any advice and encouragement appreciated. Really do not intend to retake mcat unless I do not make it into any schools first cycle, so please give advice other than to retake unless you do not see my odds being favorable.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I am just getting a little nervous about the upcoming cycle and could appreciate some feedback.

I am a black female, graduating from uni this year, applying in June, and doing a competitive 1 year research postbacc during my gap year.
MCAT: 507 GPA 3.86. Hoping to apply to 15 MD schools and 10ish DO school. Preference MD. In a state with very few state schools, and the few they have have high average stats.

Do you think I have a good chance for MD. Application has lots of volunteer hours and scribing, with small gaps due to COVID limitations in shadowing. About 100 hours in shadowing, lots of teaching assistant/tutoring. Also a student counselor on campus. Won’t be able too discuss postbacc on primaries but will have for discussion during secondaries.

Any advice and encouragement appreciated. Really do not intend to retake mcat unless I do not make it into any schools first cycle, so please give advice other than to retake unless you do not see my odds being favorable.
Also, guidance for how many MD/DO also appreciated. Truthfully I would rather max out on MD (20) and do less DO (5) unless it seems as though I have better chances for DO school. Not sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
U Maryland
Georgetown
George Washington
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
West Virginia
Miami
Emory
Tulane
Duke
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Vermont
Dartmouth
Boston University
Tufts
Brown
Cincinnati
Ohio State
Case Western
St. Louis
Indiana

U Maryland
Georgetown
George Washington
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
West Virginia
Miami
Emory
Tulane
Duke
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Vermont
Dartmouth
Boston University
Tufts
Brown
Cincinnati
Ohio State
Case Western
St. Louis
Indiana
Thank you for this school list. Would you still recommend applying to DO schools with my stats?

You do not need to apply to DO schools with your stats.
Thank you for your time. I just wanted to add that I have a 123 in CARS. Do any of the above schools have cut-offs for individual MCAT sections that you are aware of?

U Maryland
Georgetown
George Washington
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
West Virginia
Miami
Emory
Tulane
Duke
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Vermont
Dartmouth
Boston University
Tufts
Brown
Cincinnati
Ohio State
Case Western
St. Louis
Indiana
OP, also consider EVMS and VCU

You're fine for MD!!!

Start list with the HBCs and your state schools.

More for list later. My daughter insisted on going to Starbucks
Hi- This thread is one year old but I'm asking you to revisit. I am not sure whether I specified my breakdown
507 MCAT 128/123/127/129. Does the 123 cars change any of the advice you previously provided?

NIH Postbacc will be complete by matriculation, with about 100 extra shadowing hours, a new leadership position in outreach service, and volunteering for hospice. Currently applying to the schools listed above, with the exception of a few. With the new supreme court decision, do you believe I should have reconsidered this list?
I would not change the schools I suggested.

You seem to dismiss the DO option quickly. I have been involved in this field since 1973. That approach has lost it’s appeal/validity.

NIH Postbacc will be complete by matriculation, with about 100 extra shadowing hours, a new leadership position in outreach service, and volunteering for hospice. Currently applying to the schools listed above, with the exception of a few. With the new supreme court decision, do you believe I should have reconsidered this list?
What do you mean by outreach service?

I don't think anything really changed with SCOTUS, but it might get a little more competitive for the HBCU and MSI schools. You already have a solid application profile otherwise.

Is your MCAT still valid? Have you taken Casper or PREview? Other SJTs? How much has your postbac influenced your purpose as a physician?

OP. Have you met the residency requirements for applying to University of Maryland as an in state applicant? Would be advisable to check the requirements, which are online.

What do you mean by outreach service?

I don't think anything really changed with SCOTUS, but it might get a little more competitive for the HBCU and MSI schools. You already have a solid application profile otherwise.

Is your MCAT still valid? Have you taken Casper or PREview? Other SJTs? How much has your postbac influenced your purpose as a physician?
Thank you for your expansion relating to SCOTUS.

You seem to dismiss the DO option quickly. I have been involved in this field since 1973. That approach has lost it’s appeal/validity.
Hello- This original post was several years ago. I am applying to several DO programs that I think are great fits!

Reactions: 1 users