MCAT, GPA, or the real avg. that matters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zepplinfan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard from a few people that there is general rule for applying to schools that post their avg. GPA.

Take MCAT score and convert to a GPA ex. 35 = 3.5 or 40=4.0 and avg. this score with your real GPA. If they avg. out around where the school avg is,then you should apply there (same people say that chance of getting in is quite good in this case) . I kinda looked at a couple schools to see if this made sense, and so far it kinda fits.

I'll be applying this comming cycle and (I realize that this by no means the end all of picking which schools to apply to). Plus I'm taking the MCAT's in April.

So really, I was just wondering if you all thought this seems right. It would give me an idea of what I have to score on my MCATs. Just wanted thoughts on it.........

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

those standards are too high.

that's what I thought.......oh well, guess I'll stil have a shot

Members don't see this ad :)
No, this system puts too much weight on the GPA. A 4.0 doesn't equal a 40 mcat score, and a 30 MCAT doesn't equal a 3.0 gpa. There is no formula for determining if a school will accept you. Just look for ones where you would be happy and where you are CLOSE to their averages. You don't want to apply to Wash U with a 26 MCAT, and you don't want to apply to X Low-Tier State school out-of-state with a 43 MCAT and 6000 hours of research. Most importantly, try to find places where you will be happy. You are going to have to spend 4 rough years in school, so you might as well get some comfort from the experience.

~AS1~

yeah that system is pretty much bunk...

if that was teh case there would be no way in hell that i got a ucla interview. or any of my acceptances for that matter. when someone says they have a formula for you to follow take it and just toss it out.

your reasons for going into medicine, ECs, and secondary responses are vital factors as well in determining whether or not you will get an interview invite from schools.

gpa and mcat are important but they arent everything.

Originally posted by jlee9531
yeah that system is pretty much bunk...

if that was teh case there would be no way in hell that i got a ucla interview. or any of my acceptances for that matter. when someone says they have a formula for you to follow take it and just toss it out.

your reasons for going into medicine, ECs, and secondary responses are vital factors as well in determining whether or not you will get an interview invite from schools.

gpa and mcat are important but they arent everything.

I completely second all that. The process is an individualistic one. There is no set formula for anyone or any school.

I agree that there's little logical reasoning behind how an admissions committee evaluates your file (at least that's how it appears to us applicants anyway). There are a plethora of diverse aspects to you as a person, so two little numbers can only go so far in gaining you admission, and, more importantly, making you a physician.

That being said, in the example the OP gives, I think a 35 on the MCAT is more desirable that a 3.5 GPA. In my own personal view, a 35 could be roughly equatable to a 3.8 or thereabouts. However, once you start hitting the 33+ range you needn't worry much about your score.

tf

Basically, I think schools want your various stats and ECs to be above average, on average, and they look down on poor scores, grades or lack of ECs. Obviously you can overcome one lacking area in your application by excelling in another, but if you have a 25 MCAT, or a 2.8 GPA it'll be tough to overcome. You definately shouldn't average MCAT and GPA together and use them as one number to look at, I don't know but I doubt that is what med schools do. They are totally different measurements that when combined aren't as meaningful.