MCAT help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GCS-15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone

So I've been taking practice tests from Princeton and getting in the 503-506 range. For comparison, I just took AAMC's "mini test" today and wow...it was so different! A lot of it was experiment based and you really needed to know how to read the passage. I'm really tough at those kinds of passages with experiments and new situations. I see tons of new enzyme names, and data/ lab results and I just get lost.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can improve on these passages? I think I know the general biochem concepts well- but I just can't apply them to the passages.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you been to the MCAT Discussions forum yet? There's tons of info about this stuff there.

A little advice:

1. Full lengths are the most valuable use of your time. AAMC full lengths are the best, and all others are about equally useful.

2. Study everything, especially on the science sections. Some subjects are used frequently, while others only pop up in 1 question (or less) per test. Studying every subject is key to doing consistently well.

Members don't see this ad :)
The mini tests and the full length were the closest to the actual test, but don't take the full length until a month or so before

Spend at least 45 minutes reading scientific literature a day. It's a slow process but you will see gains after 4-6 months, particularly if you are really struggling at it first.

You'll also notice trends. There are only so many ways to read a western blot, PCR gel, graphs measuring various variables etc. These are the type of things that make up much of the MCAT's focus; it's just a matter of being fluent in them. Identifying variables, purposes of the experiment and what is and IS NOT tested will help greatly.