HELP Should I retake MCAT 513

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1Fig2

Reaction score
Hello all, I could really use some advice.

I applied this cycle and received no interviews. I have been trying to understand why, and after talking to some friends and making a post on SDN. I believe that my personal statement could have played a major factor. That being said, for this upcoming year I have decided to also add more clinical hours, as suggested by a lot of people.

My parents are really pushing me to retake the MCAT. For context I got a 513 (130/125/128/130). I believe that I have a good MCAT coupled with my GPA ( 3.89 cumulative, 3.91 science). But constantly hearing about them saying I should retake makes me second guess. I would love to hear everyone else's thoughts.

If you want a little more background on my app, here is the WAMC post I made a while back WAMC/ School List (reapplicant) (3.9 GPA, 513 MCAT)

Thanks in advance everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

Ah, parents. Always searching for something that looks like a nail.

There are a lot of reasons why you may have gotten no traction. If your PS was a creative writing experiment then that's a good one. Your ECs are numerous but somewhat piecemeal, the largest single one being 120 hours of major recruitment. Your school list should have been 2-3 times as long, with more private and OOS-friendly public schools.

Bottom line: if you just want to get into medical school somewhere, you don't need to retake the MCAT. You do need to address other things, but the MCAT isn't one of them. If, on the other hand, you're hellbent on getting into a "top" medical school where a 513 is below the 10th percentile, then you should consider a retake and doing something along the lines of Peace Corps.

Reactions: 2 users
I applied 2021-2022 with a 512(128/128/128/128) and about 200 hrs clinical volunteering. I also applied late (secondaries completed in August-September). I had one interview which ended up on WL. I did retake my MCAT just because I was doing better on the FLs and was able to increase my score by 7 points. However, I think what held me back and what is holding you back is low clinical hours. Like @Med Ed states a good school list, a different PS, and increased clinical hours + nonclinical volunteering would greatly increase your chances. I would not repeat your MCAT unless it is something you really want to do, not your parents, and only if you can increase your score significantly. Otherwise work on your ECs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That MCAT wasn't your problem, it's the ECs that were identified in your WAMC. The hours you would spend studying for the MCAT would be much better allocated to getting more clinical and non-clinical ECs.

Frankly... it's mid-April. You need to kick getting hours into high gear to be ready to re-submit over the summer. You said you aren't enjoying your research, so why haven't you switched to a strictly clinical job like scribing?

Reactions: 2 users
It is not your MCAT of 513 that is preventing you from receiving interviews, rather your low clinical volunteering hours. Accumulate another 100+ hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact before you submit your application.

Reactions: 1 users

I applied this cycle and received no interviews. I have been trying to understand why, and after talking to some friends and making a post on SDN. I believe that my personal statement could have played a major factor. That being said, for this upcoming year I have decided to also add more clinical hours, as suggested by a lot of people.

My parents are really pushing me to retake the MCAT. For context I got a 513 (130/125/128/130). I believe that I have a good MCAT coupled with my GPA ( 3.89 cumulative, 3.91 science). But constantly hearing about them saying I should retake makes me second guess. I would love to hear everyone else's thoughts.

If you want a little more background on my app, here is the WAMC post I made a while back WAMC/ School List (reapplicant) (3.9 GPA, 513 MCAT)

On your next round of applications, you should apply to the Ohio DO school. You'd pay instate tuition at $40,000 per year. They accept about 250 students every year. Your GPA and MCAT score are clearly sufficient to gain acceptance.
Furthermore, the school now has a campus affiliated with the Cleveland Clinic.

If your attitude is MD or nothing, you might end up with nothing.

Think about how much time it takes to adequately prepare for the MCAT. Think about how many hours of clinical experience you could get in that timeframe. Is it really worth it? Fix the holes in your application. Do not ignore them to perfect a solid piece.

Ahhh, parents. Trying their best out of love and ignorance to derail your medical career. Get them onto SDN and we can teach them the errors of their ways.

Don't retake the MCAT; have a strategic list and fix any holes in your app. Rewrite all essays and have multiple eyeballs vet them.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all so much for the input and helping me stay confident in working on other parts of my application instead of retaking the MCAT

A little update, I have already applied to numerous clinical research, MA, and PCA positions and am just wait to hear back. I have been accepted into a hospice volunteer program and will hopefully start in a couple of weeks, I plan to continue this through my upcoming gap year. I have also identified that my personal statement and description of my activities were weak, so I have begun re writing them. Im also going to be applying much broader to schools!

Thanks again for all your help!!

Reactions: 5 users
Thank you all so much for the input and helping me stay confident in working on other parts of my application instead of retaking the MCAT

A little update, I have already applied to numerous clinical research, MA, and PCA positions and am just wait to hear back. I have been accepted into a hospice volunteer program and will hopefully start in a couple of weeks, I plan to continue this through my upcoming gap year. I have also identified that my personal statement and description of my activities were weak, so I have begun re writing them. Im also going to be applying much broader to schools!

Thanks again for all your help!!
Good move on not taking a retake in the MCAT. As often as I have seen scores go up, I have seen retake scores drop. 513, a 90th %tile score, should do the trick for you with the changes you are making. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 4 users