MCAT High Yield Cheat Sheet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoeKing

Determined Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I wanted to make a list of all of the high yield topics I have encountered on the AAMC practice exams and self assessment package more specific than what is provided on the AAMC website. I am particularly interested in those things we might neglect to study. Please feel free to add

Physics:
-Questions about gravity in relation to radius and mass. In particular, setting gravitational force= centripetal force to solve for things like velocity.
-How frequency/period of a pendulum doesn't change if you change the mass of pendulum or the amplitude. Similarly know how this applies to springs
-Photoelectric Effect. How transitions from n=2 to n=1 are more energetic than from n=3 to n=2 etc
-Types of decay, sometimes they like to incorporate a 'momentum' problem with this or an electrostatic force problem with this. Ie. fission of a nucleus releases two particles, what is the force of repulsion of the two.
-Capacitors, know conceptually how capacitance can be altered. Same goes for resistance
-Particle deflectors! they love this one. For example, finding the radius of curvature a particle will experience in a magnetic field by setting Fmag=Fcentripetal. Also, setting the force applied by an electric field equal to force of magnetic field and solving for the velocity required for linear motion.
-Resonance and beat frequencies. Also know that 'pitch' is the same as frequency.
-Buoyant force vs pressure at a certain depth. Buoyant force doesnt change with depth (vdg) as opposed to pressure which does (dgh). d is density, v is volume, g is gravity, h is depth
-Ohms law, particularly resistors in series vs parallel. They love to ask these questions as discreet questions so you get no help from the passage.
-'Apparent weight' of things submerged in water. How much does the buoyant force take away from the gravitational force

Of course kinematics and work/energy as well.

Gen Chem
-Reaction Diagram profiles. Know how to interpret these. Finding Ea, Exo or endothermic, rate determining step if it involves more than one. Kinetic/thermodynamic product
-Titration graphs, particularly for weak acid/strong base (visa versa) and for polyprotic species. Also know half equivalence point is where PH= pka and [a-]=[ha]. The equivalence point will be more toward the PH of the strong species.
-They love questions involving the 'habor process' i have noticed
-They also love questions about 'hard water' when dealing with solubility.
-Determining the rate equation from data is huge. Also know how to calculate the rate law when the rate limiting step involves intermediates
-Electrochemistry. They love questions involving plating out of species ie 'how many grams of Cu will be produced when 10A of current is supplied to ...'. Know anode vs cathode for both electrolytic and galvanic. Know how Ecell is + for galvanic and - for electrolytic and that Gibbs free energy is - for galvanic and + for electrolytic. Know flow of e- vs flow of current. Know salt bridge anions go to anode and cations go to cathode.
-Calorimetry problems! The test makers have a huge hard-on for these, so practice them. Especially when there is a phase transition involved!!

-Of course things like Periodic trends

Biology
-Punnet squares, be proficient for both mono hybrid and dihybrid crosses. Also know how to take into account codominance and incomplete dominance
-Know that cholesterol is a precursor for steroids
-Know steroids act on cytoplasmic receptors while peptide hormones act on surface receptors and that tyrosine hormones act in the nucleus (weird huh)
-Bone remodeling always shows up! Know the effects of PTH and Caclitonin and Osteoclasts/blasts
-The role of the RER and Golgi in the production of proteins
-The location of transcription and translation in bacteria vs eukaryotes. That translation can take place simultaneously with transcription in bacteria
-They love the endosymbiotic hypothesis (that mitochondria came from a prokaryote being engulfed by another cell)
-Location of glycolysis/fermentation/pdh/krebs are in the cytosol, cytosol, matrix, matrix and intermembrane space.
-Sympathetic vs parasympathetic effects on everything
-Sarcomere contraction: the role of Ca in muscle contraction. The role of ATP in muscle contraction.
-Fast twitch vs slow twitch fibers and what you'd expect to see in them
-Action potentials. What flows when and where. Be able to diagram an action potential. Also know how cardiac action potentials are different. Know that hyperpolarization is inhibitory and depolarization is excitatory.
-Things that change hemoglobins affinity for O2 (Right shift with decreased PH, DPG, increased CO2, high temperatures: so O2 can be unloaded to active muscles)
-Know cooperative binding in Hb but there is none in myoglobin
-Bicarbonates role as a buffer
-How the kidney can control blood pressure and how blood pressure effects GFR
-The role of aldosterone and ADH in blood pressure control. Know aldosterone is a steroid (STERONE) and therefore acts in the cytoplasm wherase ADH is a peptide and acts on the surface of target cells.
-Fetus stuff. The ductus arteriosus shunts blood away from the lungs, the ductus venosus bypasses the liver, the foramen ovale is a shunt from the right to left atrium. Know fetal Hb has a higher affinity for O2 than the mothers
-They love questions about blood types. In particular the heredity of blood types. "what are the chances a type B mother who marries a type O father has a kid with type B blood? well either 50% or 100% depending on if the mother is BB or Bi.
-Know innate immunity as opposed to adaptive
-Know the difference between cell mediated and humoral immunity
-Know what carries oxygenated blood (ie the pulmonary artery is DEoxygenated because its moving towards the lungs and away from the heart, arteries aren't always oxygenated, they just move away from the heart)
-Know the stages of development Cleavage makes morula, Blastulation makes the blastula which gets implanted, Gastrulation creates the 3 germ layers, and then neuralation.
-Know what is derived from the 3 germ layers. Also know the notochord comes from mesoderm while the neural tube comes from the ectoderm. Dont get notochord and neural tube confused
-Bile! know that bile emulsifies fats and is produced in the liver, but stored in the gall bladder. Know that the digestion of fats would be impaired without bile.
-Respiration, in particular the role of the diaphragm. How inhalation requires energy to contract the diaphragm but exhalation is a passive process
-They love questions about mylenation and how it helps the conduction of APs.
-They LOVE the Ames test, and how to use it to determine mutigenicity of a substance, so know how to interpret these results
-Transformation vs Transduction vs Conjugation. F+ and F- plasmids
-Mitosis vs Meiosis vs Binary fission
-Non-disjunction events
-Polymerase Chain Reaction. Know the steps and that 2^n copies of DNA will be made
-Be able to interpret a Gel and see based on a DNA fragments migration, which allele is a mutant allele.
-Know about DNA compaction with histone proteins.
-Know the basics about alternative splicing and post transcriptional modification of mRNA (poly a tail, 5'cap)
-Know that DNA polymerase has proofreading activity but RNA polymerase doesnt. DNA polymerase requires a primer whereas RNA polymerase doesnt.
-Know the role of PH in the stomach
-They love asking questions about the immune system in terms of autoimmune disease
-Know the hormones involved in the menstrual cycle and pregnancy.
-Know the components of viruses, and what they do not have

..thats all I can think of for now

Organic Chemistry
-Know basic IR peaks. OH broad 3300, NH2 sharp 3400, Carbonyl 1700 and CN 2200
-Know how to determine chemically equivalent hydrogens in NMR
-Know how to determine stereochemistry of a carbon in a Fischer projection
-Know the basics for extracting an acid (by deprotonating it with a base, and extracing the aqueous layer) and a base (protonating with an acid and extracting the aqueous layer)
-Know the # of possible stereoisomers is 2^n where n is chiral carbons
-Know Sp3 vs sp2 COLD, they ask this a lot!
-Know the reactivity and trends of Carboxyllic acid derivatives
-Know enolate reactions, aldol condensation
-Know decarboxylation
-Be familiar with EAS activators vs deactivators and which are o/p and which are meta
-Know about PI and how an amino acid will move in an electric field at a certain PH

Im tired of typing for now, ill do more later..

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 35 users
Great idea. Something I heavily considered doing while I was studying so SDN could have it as a resource.

I'd suggest arranging it like the AAMC topic list, putting certain "things you should know how to do" under each topic heading.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! Yeah I'm hoping to get as much collective info as possible and then organizing it more effectively

Nice. Just a reminder, people please don't just think these concepts are sufficient. Any topic is fair game if it is on the AAMC outline. Don't sell yourself short just because you think something isn't as high yield as another.

Some of these may be repeated from your list, but here's my list of things that I would consider high yield on the practice exams that I've taken thus far:

GENERAL CHEMISTRY:

Elements in the same group have the same properties
Watch out for d^4 and d^9 when writing electron configurations—normally want to fill this d shell.
Boiling point elevation- colligative property; involves "i" that is based on number of molecules are dissociated
Freezing point depression- colligative property- includes 'i'
Vapor pressure decreases with addition of nonvolatile solvent
Oxidizing agent is reduced; reducing agent is oxidized
Entropy increases if there are more moles of gases
Delta G is negative- reaction is spontaneous
Same temperature means same average kinetic energy; temperature is a measure of kinetic energy
Rate law; determining the order of a reaction from experimental data
Rate constant depends on temperature
Catalysts are not used up; don’t effect thermodynamics
Writing equation for equilibrium constant- don’t include solids/liquids
Le Chatelier’s principle; may involve change in pressure or change in temperature
Reduction potentials; calculating these; E is positive, then G is negative and its spontaneous
Elastic/inelastic collisions; what they mean and what’s conserved in each; Elastic- momentum and KE; inelastic- momentum
Phase Diagrams- how to read these; critical point; triple point
Titrations

PHYSICS:
Pendulum- where is the greatest PE, KE, acceleration, momentum etc.
Doppler effect- understand it conceptually and mathematically
How to calculate wavelength in open and closed pipes; when to use which formula; strings are open
Buoyancy
A1v1=A2v2 for fluids
Bernoulli’s equation-- relating pressure to changes in height/velocity
Resistors/capacitors in series/parallel
Energy in a capacitors= 1/2QV
What a dielectric does to a capacitor- in terms of energy
Light with higher frequency means higher energy; E=hf
Predicting image properties based on object location-;mirrors/lenses
Types of decay
E=hf; work function vs kinetic energy. How a photon is emitted when an electron goes to lower energy orbital

BIOLOGY
Organelles- what they do, what the look like; ER makes proteins
Sodium potassium pump
Sarcomeres- H and I change length
Hormones*- where they come from, what they do, how hormones respond to some change in the body
What comes from anterior pituitary (all peptides) vs posterior pituitary; PP hormones are actually produced in the hypothalamus
Aldosterone and ADH both increase water retention; how they do this
Glucose/Insulin/Glucagon relationship
Hemoglobin affinity for oxygen- how this changes
Digestive system- structures/function; anatomy; route
Loop of henle; first permeable to water on the way down then just to ions as it goes up.
How differential pressure relates to breathing
Menstrual cycle- follicular, ovulation, luteal phase, menstruation
Embryogenesis- especially gastrulation- what comes from ectoderm, mesoderm, endoderm
Genetics- family tree interpretation; sex linked has more males with disease
King- Phylum-Class-Order-Family-Genus-Species

ORGANIC CHEMISTRY:
Identifying shapes of molecules
Number of stereoisomers 2^n where n is number of chiral centers
Determining R and S
Identifying equivalent hydrogens; 9.5 on HNMR is an aldehyde
SN2 vs SN1- based on carbocation stability/steric hindrance
2700- IR-aldehydes; OH-3300

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone that has taken the test comment on if this list reflects what they experienced on their test?

Can anyone that has taken the test comment on if this list reflects what they experienced on their test?

the term "high-yield" is misleading when you apply it to one test.

it's high-yield because over a bunch of tests, these are the most often tested concepts. you could get a test with 0 of these concepts. or all of them.

i.e. don't focus on this (don't arrange your studying around this) but do give it a read as you approach test day so you can make sure you know everything here.

in terms of this specific list, I find it's hard to really make a high-yield list for Bio. Very doable for PS and Orgo though. This includes much of what I would put on my own list for those subjects.

Reactions: 1 users
The O chem part is super detail. I took the MCAT last May so I don't remember all the things that I thought was fundamental. I just remember that it was much more O-Chem 2 than O chem 1. I didn't have any sn1 vs sn2 reactions! O chem are easy points because it is just memorization. It can be scary at first but compared to the physics section is nothing!! so study as many reactions as you can. It will serve you well.
And yes, lots of PI and how aminoacids move in electric fields:)
Good luck to all of you!

This is glorious!!! All the topics covered in my MCAT on 08/2013 are on this list. Absolutely everything.

This is glorious!!! All the topics covered in my MCAT on 08/2013 are on this list. Absolutely everything.
Awesome! Thats great to hear! Im writing in 2 weeks, so this is part of my last minute prep. As they say the best way to learn is to teach. I'm trying to break 40, and I feel once you get into the high 30s range low 40s range, you have to start thinking about how the test makers are going to test your knowledge. The 'epistemology' of the test if you will..

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome! Thats great to hear! Im writing in 2 weeks, so this is part of my last minute prep. As they say the best way to learn is to teach. I'm trying to break 40, and I feel once you get into the high 30s range low 40s range, you have to start thinking about how the test makers are going to test your knowledge. The 'epistemology' of the test if you will..

I completely agree, I wish I would of known what would of been on my MCAT. I would of been able to study for like 2 weeks and get high 30s.

I completely agree, I wish I would of known what would of been on my MCAT. I would of been able to study for like 2 weeks and get high 30s.
While its impossible to know whats on the test, its reasonable to be able to discern what is likely going to be tested

This is a great thread. Please keep adding guys!

I think there is a lot that could be added to gen chem.

Reactions: 1 user
I had quick questio guys. Do u think is it beneficial at all if one looked at this list during ones content review? You know before one writes any of the practice exams? I don't mean that I will use the topics as my only source, I just mean refer to the topics to ensure I know everything. I'm just wondering since these topics are from the practice exams I don't want to give myself false hope or a score if I take the those exams and score well since I have already been exposed to the topics on it? Sorry if this does not make sense, but I would appreciate your insight. Thank you.

I had quick questio guys. Do u think is it beneficial at all if one looked at this list during ones content review? You know before one writes any of the practice exams? I don't mean that I will use the topics as my only source, I just mean refer to the topics to ensure I know everything. I'm just wondering since these topics are from the practice exams I don't want to give myself false hope or a score if I take the those exams and score well since I have already been exposed to the topics on it? Sorry if this does not make sense, but I would appreciate your insight. Thank you.

BUMP
Does anyone have any input on this?

BUMP
Does anyone have any input on this?

Beneficial? Yes, absolutely. Some misunderstand a list like this to be "all you need to study", or something, which is dumb.
I have found it best to formulate your own during post-analysis of practice tests. Certain topics like IR spectra, G = H-TS, reaction diagrams, Doppler effect, decay molecules, and hormones have been consistent on my exams, so I've focused on those to where I can have freebies with those questions. Hope that helps!

Do these lists apply to the new MCAT written in 2015, or to only MCAT'S prior to the new changes made in 2015?

the term "high-yield" is misleading when you apply it to one test.

it's high-yield because over a bunch of tests, these are the most often tested concepts. you could get a test with 0 of these concepts. or all of them.

i.e. don't focus on this (don't arrange your studying around this) but do give it a read as you approach test day so you can make sure you know everything here.

in terms of this specific list, I find it's hard to really make a high-yield list for Bio. Very doable for PS and Orgo though. This includes much of what I would put on my own list for those subjects.

Here’s the high-yield list of B/B:
1. Get comfy with everything about experiments and data based on random scientific journal articles.

Lol

Without being too specific about my experience, I personally found that the MCAT didn't change nearly as much as everyone makes it seem it changed. The passages are definitely different, with more raw data. But the questions from before 2015 and the questions from after 2015 didn't seem different at all. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if all they did was change the passage portion while keeping the same questions.

Many people freak out abut the experiments and journalesque style of writing but in many cases you don't need to understand the passage. Just get the very basics out of it and you'll be fine. The questions can often be answered with very little comprehension of the experiment.

Without being too specific about my experience, I personally found that the MCAT didn't change nearly as much as everyone makes it seem it changed. The passages are definitely different, with more raw data. But the questions from before 2015 and the questions from after 2015 didn't seem different at all. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if all they did was change the passage portion while keeping the same questions.

Many people freak out abut the experiments and journalesque style of writing but in many cases you don't need to understand the passage. Just get the very basics out of it and you'll be fine. The questions can often be answered with very little comprehension of the experiment.

Based on my experience with the SB and how ppl are saying the January MCAT is more like the SB, I respectfully disagree ^.^

I don't know if it wasn't applicable to the old test, but an obvious omission I see for Ochem is naming (E/Z, R/S, Cis Trans, etc). Also resonance's impact on bond length/strength and resonant structures in general. Understand how aromaticity impacts pKa and all things hydrogen bonding.