SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

MCAT improvement with courses like kaplan?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Diogenes, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Diogenes

Diogenes Succat 7+ Year Member

Jan 30, 2002
    I was wondering if anyone took the MCAT, then took an MCAT course, and then took the MCAT again. Did your scores improve? Significantly?

The reason I'm asking is that I didn't take a course, but if I don't get in anywhere, I'm going to consider retaking the MCAT, among other things, to improve myself as an applicant.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Elysium

Elysium Not Really An Old Beaver 7+ Year Member

Dec 5, 2001
    Just so you know, 200,000 people on this board will tell you to do a search on prep courses.

It's actually pretty easy. Just go to "search" and type in MCAT prep or TPR or Kaplan and you'll find several threads that address this!
  4. Optimistic

Optimistic Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 16, 2001
    I took kaplan course and it did'nt help me much.But its just my opinion ,it might work for you.
  5. Trek

Trek Grand Uranium Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 23, 2001
    The Big House
    If i had to do it over, i'd buy that thick red book ($65), the AAMC printed practice materials ($dunno) and work from them. That'd save you $1300-65-dunno, which is a lot of loot, and i dont' think it helps your score too much. --Trek
  6. Mr.D

Mr.D insipidus maximus 7+ Year Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Los Angeles
    bjc, you can purchase the kaplan or princeton review materials from ebay or from a friend for
    about$200 which is way less than $1200 for the
    live course which really isn't worth it. Also,
    make sure you get the AMCAS materials that come
    with it. In terms of whether they're worth it
    or not - I personally think they are since they
    provide a structure which you can use to help
    you with your studies. At the very least, buy
    the AMCAS materials (practice materials and tests) - those are definitely worth the money and
    the time. Good luck.