1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We will be performing maintenance on the SDN forums on Friday, December 9 at 5:00 AM Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

MCAT in less than a month...What should I focus on?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Jumb0, 09.28.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Jumb0

Jumb0 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Here are my full length scores so far, in the order in which I took them:

• AAMC 3 (CBT) = 33 (10,12,11)
    • AAMC 5 (CBT = 33 (10,12,11)
    • AAMC 4 (R) = 33 (11,11,11)
    • Kaplan 1 = 32 (9,12,11)
    • Kaplan 2 = 34 (10,11,13)
    So my average is a 33 with a mode of 33. I would be really happy with a 33 on the real thing, but I don't think these scores are good enough. The way I see it, if you want a 33 on the real deal, you should be averaging a 35 on full lengths. I'm taking the exam on October 25th.

As you can see, my physics average is lagging behind the others. It is definitely my weakest point. I have memorized the formulas, but I am just slow at doing math, so I barely ever finish physics on time. I always feel rushed and end up having to guess on a few. Verbal is solid. Biology knowledge is solid. Organic chemistry, on the other hand, is a bit of a weakness. I haven't taken the time to memorize all the common reactions and reagents...I'm still able to average 11+ on BS though because it is mostly biology, which I am good at, and I have enough orgo intuition to do reasonably well on the few orgo passages that come up. It's just the occasional trivia question of orgo that trips me up i.e. whether a certain reaction will proceed with Markovnikov or anti-Markovinkov regioselectivity, etc...

So what would be the highest yielding use of my time:

A) Work on Physics
    B) Memorize Orgo reactions
    C) Master the things I'm already good at (VR and Bio) in order to get super high scores in those that will make up for deficits in other sections

?

Thank you

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. wuhsabee

wuhsabee BEARS. BEETS. BATTLESTAR GALACTICA. 5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I could be wrong, but I thought alkenes / alkynes are no longer tested on the MCAT? So this includes Markovnikov/anti-Markovnikov reactions, too, right?

4. Jumb0

Jumb0 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, you're right about that I suppose...But I mean questions similar to that, where you either know it or you don't. Sometimes you can't predict products unless you know exactly what a certain reagent does. For example, I no longer remember what species PCC is able to oxidize...or the location of common peaks on Carbon NMR...or which groups are ortho vs. meta directors....or what the hell a Wolff Kishner reaction is....Should I definitely take some time to remember these things? Or can I bank of using my intuition and hoping the passages give me what I need? I feel like Orgo is a low-yielding subject. It likely won't account for more than 15 problems on BS...and chances are only like 1 or 2 of those will be trivia type problems where you can't use intuition + passage.

5. Jumb0

Jumb0 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Bump. Please help a poor, confused, and frightened little boy :scared:

6. John Buster

John Buster SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    If you can afford it, I would get the MCAT Self-Assessment Package and do those problems. They're helpful for figuring out what you're weak on and what you could improve on.

Also, make sure you keep your verbal brain sharp.

7. ScarlettZoe

ScarlettZoe

MDApps:
    MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    If you have just taken the MCAT, please do not discuss any specifics of the exam or link to sites where such discussions will take place!
    SDN wants you to know that the AAMC routinely reads this forum. SDN has a strict TRUSTe privacy policy and does not release information to other organizations. However, the AAMC can and will use subpoenas to force SDN to release member information.

Last edited: 10.17.14
  8. Jumb0

Jumb0 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks, Scarlett. I am aware of this rule. I'm not asking anyone to tell me what to expect on the exam. I just want some help in formulating a study strategy that will optimize my time given my current weak-points.

9. fatimany

fatimany

Its normal to fluctuate one point in a section as you do practice tests since each test is different. More importantly, you have yet to do the most recent AAMC practice tests such as test 7,9,10, and 11. You should keep doing practice tests and at this point, the most valuable thing to do would be to go over your answers thoroughly and identify your mistakes. A score of 9 and 10 likely means your content knowledge is good.

10. valkener

valkener 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You should be doing the remaining AAMC practice tests and then review them thoroughly. If you do it right you can spend 2-3 days on a single test to make sure you understand absolutely everything and can repeat similar but modified problems.

11. ortnakas

ortnakas OMS-III 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Agreed. Practice tests > content review. Go through each question and figure out why you got it right or wrong.

About the ads