MCAT Insomnia...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

G1SG2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, this is a bit off topic, but is this test taking away anyone else's sleep!? I find myself studying all day and fighting to sleep at night. My day usually starts off like this: wake up at 12/1 pm, study till 2-3am, and then I try to sleep but it takes me at least a few hours to fall asleep (I usually fall asleep at around 5/6am, it's so frustrating). I can't sleep, even when I'm dead tired. I keep thinking about the MCAT, the admissions process, etc. I even tried sleeping a few hours one day so I could fall asleep early at night, but that was to no avail. I don't have time to devote 3 hours a day just TRYING to fall asleep, it's so wasteful and annoying! :scared: Anyone else experience this? Any tips that will help me fall asleep? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Try melatonin supplements (if above advice doesn't work too well :)). You can find them at walgreens, etc. A 3mg pill of melatonin can help you fall asleep pretty nice. People who travel a lot usually use melatonin to keep jet lag from affecting their sleep patterns.

Normally I can sleep just fine, but the people on my block are shooting off the loudest fireworks I've ever heard... and it's almost midnight. How am I supposed to go to sleep and take a practice test tomorrow?!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for responding guys. I'll try some of the above suggestions-let's see if it works out!

Normally I can sleep just fine, but the people on my block are shooting off the loudest fireworks I've ever heard... and it's almost midnight. How am I supposed to go to sleep and take a practice test tomorrow?!

Yeah, tell me about it! The ones on my block aren't THAT loud but I mean they're pretty loud n everytime they shoot a firecracker, some crazy dog nearby starts barking like crazy, wtf lol. And yesterday some idiot living in the adjacent/adjoining building was playing some LOUD music, I mean really loud. I felt like screaming "shut the **** up" out my window but I'm a chicken. lol.

I am starting to get into my routine now for the exam. What I do is work my ass off in the gym during my study breaks. This usually has me pretty exhausted by the time I get ready for bed. For instance, I'm feeling pretty sleepy now and I woke up at about 10 AM today (I did go to bed at around 3 AM, but I blame the girl I was hanging out with for that one...).

All I can really tell you is my plan. It might not work for you, but it might be worth a shot.

Firstly, I want to feel like I'm awake at 8 AM for the exam. I don't want to feel groggy during my PS section. In order to prepare myself for this I'm waking up at 5 AM (started last week, but like I said the girl threw a wrench in that one...). Then I am going to try to be to bed by 10 PM.

Since today is technically a holiday, I am going to allow myself a movie and popcorn before bed tonight, and will probably wake up at ~7 AM. Then from tomorrow on it's in bed at 10 and up at 5.

To help ensure I am on a good sleep routine I am sticking to quality foods (protein shakes, fruits, eggs, etc.), then regardless of how tired I am in the afternoon I still hit the gym (if I work that day, I go after work). Then come home shower and study until bedtime.

I usually have horrible insomnia, but I think setting up a good sleep schedule now ~2 weeks from the exam is a good place to start.

Your schedule is jacked now, and if you keep it up you might not even sleep the night before your exam. You need to start going to bed earlier and waking up earlier. I would just start by waking up at say 7 AM. If you get 4 hours you'll be fine. Then push through until that night and get into bed at about ten that night. Wake up at 5ish the next day and repeat.

It's important that you're exhausting your body as well, so you should hit the gym, go for a jog, do yoga, or whatever it is you do to wear your body out for the day.

Good luck though, man. Sleep is important and I can relate, but get yourself onto a good schedule and stick to it.

I should start doing this... I have yet to wake up before 9 AM, usually 9:30 this summer. Which is unfortunate because an hour and a half of my test will be over by then! I'm moving back home exactly a week before my test, and I'm going to start waking up at 6-7 AM to get ready.

I should start doing this... I have yet to wake up before 9 AM, usually 9:30 this summer. Which is unfortunate because an hour and a half of my test will be over by then! I'm moving back home exactly a week before my test, and I'm going to start waking up at 6-7 AM to get ready.

Yeah, it seems to help. Every day I wake up at 5, it seems to get a little easier. You might want to start Monday before your move. This will give you more time to adjust. Although, 9:30 isn't really that bad. The OP is getting up at between 1 and 2. Now that will be hard to change.

Monday before my move is in two days! :p I don't think it's possible until I move back home because right now I live with 3 guys, 2 of whom stay up super late and it's not really quiet until midnight-ish.

Monday before my move is in two days! :p I don't think it's possible until I move back home because right now I live with 3 guys, 2 of whom stay up super late and it's not really quiet until midnight-ish.

Ha ha. I hear you. I have the luxury of living alone, so it's definitely easier in that regard.

praise the Lord i actually DONT have that much trouble sleeping...i listen to jordan and jon in bed (audio osmosis) and pretty soon im falling into la la land.

however, i think i am going to start gymming it later at night (i usually work out in evenings around 6ish) because once test day approaches my nerves are going to kick in. im guna try to exhaust myself to the point where i have the 1hr endorphin rush post workout (maybe some flashcard activity) and then hopefully will be tired enough to pack it in for the night.

and i know this is probably the wrong place to come and tell people not to worry abt everything that follows the exam, but it is imperative that we dont...just focus on studying and doing well on the mcat and let everything else fall into place.

one more thing---i notice that when studying i dont hydrate myself enough. i think this is something that is definitely underestimated. it may sound crazy to be talking about this on an mcat forum but the past two days ive been making sure i get my 8 glasses and i have felt much better. good luck e'one!

I've been this way since I started college. I can never sleep and it has peaked now during MCAT time. I've been drugging myself for years. Extremely unhealthy but I need those hours of sleep to function, so I don't really have a choice.

Get yourself some Diprivan (Yee-Hee!)

Hey everyone, this is a bit off topic, but is this test taking away anyone else's sleep!? I find myself studying all day and fighting to sleep at night. My day usually starts off like this: wake up at 12/1 pm, study till 2-3am, and then I try to sleep but it takes me at least a few hours to fall asleep (I usually fall asleep at around 5/6am, it's so frustrating). I can't sleep, even when I'm dead tired. I keep thinking about the MCAT, the admissions process, etc. I even tried sleeping a few hours one day so I could fall asleep early at night, but that was to no avail. I don't have time to devote 3 hours a day just TRYING to fall asleep, it's so wasteful and annoying! :scared: Anyone else experience this? Any tips that will help me fall asleep? Thanks.

Exercise hard 60 min 5 or 6 days a week! Also do the relaxation techniques mentioned above.

Also LET GO. Find something in life so that the RESULT of this test isn't everything.

You can still be a doc no matter how well you do on the exam as long as you never give up, so to do well you need to let go of the need to do well. Very zen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good habits summary:

- Good diet (natural foods/water/etc, avoid highly processed unnatural)
- Go to sleep at the same time everyday
- Exercise 5-6 days a week (60 min or so each time)
- I use a white noise machine from amazon and an eye cover also from amazon.com, sleep quality went through the roof with these two items
- melatonin isn't a bad idea
- avoid doing activity in bed, only sleep in your bed. No TV or working there
- Don't get into bed until you are tired. If you can stay awake for 2 more hours then go do something. Get ready for bed, then read or do anything. Go to bed when you feel tired. (You must then WAKE up at the same time everyday if you are staying up later than usual).
- Relax with breathing or yoga. Many people in America are always in FIGHT or FLIGHT mode, their nervous systems are on go go go. practice relaxing (prayer/breathing/etc), let go of outside results when you do this, the stress usually comes from a NEED to get a certain RESULT. Just let go of these needs and just be. You will find letting go improves performance, not makes it worse.
- Last thing, be organized. You can relax easier when things around you are orderly and put away. If everything around you is chaotic and out of order it becomes hard to focus or relax. Spend organization time daily!

Good luck!

(also, avoid drugs to aide sleeping. Try natural stuff like valerian root or melatonin)

Good habits summary:

- Good diet (natural foods/water/etc, avoid highly processed unnatural)
- Go to sleep at the same time everyday
- Exercise 5-6 days a week (60 min or so each time)
- I use a white noise machine from amazon and an eye cover also from amazon.com, sleep quality went through the roof with these two items
- melatonin isn't a bad idea
- avoid doing activity in bed, only sleep in your bed. No TV or working there
- Don't get into bed until you are tired. If you can stay awake for 2 more hours then go do something. Get ready for bed, then read or do anything. Go to bed when you feel tired. (You must then WAKE up at the same time everyday if you are staying up later than usual).
- Relax with breathing or yoga. Many people in America are always in FIGHT or FLIGHT mode, their nervous systems are on go go go. practice relaxing (prayer/breathing/etc), let go of outside results when you do this, the stress usually comes from a NEED to get a certain RESULT. Just let go of these needs and just be. You will find letting go improves performance, not makes it worse.
- Last thing, be organized. You can relax easier when things around you are orderly and put away. If everything around you is chaotic and out of order it becomes hard to focus or relax. Spend organization time daily!

Good luck!

(also, avoid drugs to aide sleeping. Try natural stuff like valerian root or melatonin)

Hmmm, I think most of your points are valid, but there are some team activities I participate in while in bed that put me right to sleep. ;)

haha, you guys are all awesome. Thanks. I'll try to sleep (relatively) early tonight.

Are you my twin? :D I feel the EXACT same way! Since MCAT studying started, I've been sleeping around 5/6AM, sometimes 9AM... and 5AM being the earliest.

Hoping it would cure my nocturnal habits, I tried sleeping for 2 hours one night, woke up at 7AM... nighttime rolled around... the clocked passed 10pm... then passed midnight... I'm tired, but I can't sleep.... 4AM suddently strikes... and I fall asleep at 5AM... yet again.

I'm not sure what to do either :confused:

Are you my twin? :D I feel the EXACT same way! Since MCAT studying started, I've been sleeping around 5/6AM, sometimes 9AM... and 5AM being the earliest.

Hoping it would cure my nocturnal habits, I tried sleeping for 2 hours one night, woke up at 7AM... nighttime rolled around... the clocked passed 10pm... then passed midnight... I'm tired, but I can't sleep.... 4AM suddently strikes... and I fall asleep at 5AM... yet again.

I'm not sure what to do either :confused:

Oh crap LOL, you sound JUST like me!! AND you're testing on 7/30? lol. I'm going to try and sleep soon, hopefully it works!

Man, here I was talking about sleep schedules and look at me now... ha ha. Damn, I'm going to be tired tomorrow!!!

WTF! I want to sleep... :sleep:

Night owl checking in. :)

I seriously need to fix my sleep schedule too, it's kind of annoying falling asleep with the sun out, in fact I'm so used to it now that I think sleeping when it's dark will actually feel a bit weird lol.. yea this isn't good.

Night owl checking in. :)

I seriously need to fix my sleep schedule too, it's kind of annoying falling asleep with the sun out, in fact I'm so used to it now that I think sleeping when it's dark will actually feel a bit weird lol.. yea this isn't good.
We are officially nocturnal animals :D Like hamsters
And I see you are a Texan too!!

i feel like most people on sn know how you're feeling, i could have insomnia strong enough to keep me awake through ambien (i even impressed my doctor with that one). everyone has great suggestions, but mine would be to get a cute dog, keeps you from feeling lonely when you're studying late!

Haha yep and yep. Where in Houston are you from?

Sorry for thread hijack op =x
Good afternoon! I live near Willowbrook Mall, NW Houston. And you??

I just barely woke up and its 2:09 PM. haha. I have a summer class that starts at 7:30AM-12:30PM starting this Thursday (Orgo 2 + lab). Need to fix my sleeping habits...

If you are studying like 12 hrs a day- I think you may be making yourself go crazy and burning out.

There's no need to study 12 hrs a day...you have over 3 weeks left and have been studying for a long time. It would be one thing if you were only studying 3 weeks and did 12 hrs a day..but I know you've been studying since may!

I don't see how you would need to do more than 3-4 hours a day at this point, considering how you probably have gotten through the content several times by now.

Try to relax, you'll do better that way- and with all that studying you'll probably get high 30's

If you are studying like 12 hrs a day- I think you may be making yourself go crazy and burning out.

There's no need to study 12 hrs a day...you have over 3 weeks left and have been studying for a long time. It would be one thing if you were only studying 3 weeks and did 12 hrs a day..but I know you've been studying since may!

I don't see how you would need to do more than 3-4 hours a day at this point, considering how you probably have gotten through the content several times by now.

Try to relax, you'll do better that way- and with all that studying you'll probably get high 30's

Hey, I'm pretty much done with content review and yup, still going strong and studying all day, I'm mostly doing practice passages as I have tons of resources at my disposal (I'm definitely not overdoing it-my post game analyses/reviews are pretty thorough, which takes a lot of time). I slept well last night! Just needed to change my mindset a bit :thumbup:

And May is not a long time man! Most people study about 3-4 months (half content, half practice), I've been studying since mid may-that's around 1.5 months!! So by the end of July will be about 2.5 months of serious studying, which is still less than the average I think.

Hey, I'm pretty much done with content review and yup, still going strong and studying all day, I'm mostly doing practice passages as I have tons of resources at my disposal (I'm definitely not overdoing it-my post game analyses/reviews are pretty thorough, which takes a lot of time). I slept well last night! Just needed to change my mindset a bit :thumbup:

And May is not a long time man! Most people study about 3-4 months (half content, half practice), I've been studying since mid may-that's around 1.5 months!! So by the end of July will be about 2.5 months of serious studying, which is still less than the average I think.

Average for SDN ;)

It really varies though- so if you feel you need to still study that much go for it. If you feel like you have things under control then ease up.

How are your AAMC scores looking?

Average for SDN ;)

It really varies though- so if you feel you need to still study that much go for it. If you feel like you have things under control then ease up.

How are your AAMC scores looking?

I have yet to finish my TPR tests. I'm almost done. I start the AAMCs next week! I'm expecting much better practice scores. I'll update after I take them! :)

Good afternoon! I live near Willowbrook Mall, NW Houston. And you??

I just barely woke up and its 2:09 PM. haha. I have a summer class that starts at 7:30AM-12:30PM starting this Thursday (Orgo 2 + lab). Need to fix my sleeping habits...
Yikes, good luck with Orgo 2 + lab in the summer. It's pretty intense. Are you taking it at UH? I have a friend taking Orgo 2 + lab there this summer. I live kinda in between Willowbrook mall and the Woodlands mall. Around 2920/Kuykendahl.

Haha, I only slept a couple hours tonight (this morning?) in hope of sleeping at a decent hour (earlier than 3am) tonight. We'll see how this goes. Melatonin helps me fall asleep pretty nicely. Gives me some wicked dreams too lol

The gym can be good-im in the same boat btw.
Try dr. Jeffrey thompsons sleep cd's.
Itunes has previews-theyre essential for me.

Wooohoooo! I was in bed last night at 10PM and up this morning at 5 AM, then a practice test at 6 AM! And the day is still young!!!

The only problem about going to bed early is I don't feel like I sleep as well. My dreams are whacked out and I seem to wake up every couple of hours... Oh well, hopefully that will change over the next week.

Wooohoooo! I was in bed last night at 10PM and up this morning at 5 AM, then a practice test at 6 AM! And the day is still young!!!

The only problem about going to bed early is I don't feel like I sleep as well. My dreams are whacked out and I seem to wake up every couple of hours... Oh well, hopefully that will change over the next week.
i'm very happy for you!! :) hehe

I slept at 7AM this morning :D what's your secret???

My caffeine dependency has gotten to ridiculous levels this summer. :(

I'm about to go get 40 more ounces at my local coffee shop while I study another afternoon away... And I've already had ~30 ounces today...

I had the same exact MCAT schedule! I'd wake up around noon, but it would take me a couple of hours to really get into the MCAT groove. Once I got into the zone, I'd be so focused on the test that I wouldn't want to stop until 2-3am.

Whatever, I guess. Whatever works for you. Be careful about winding down your schedule before the test. I was so used to my night owl schedule that my habits, combined with the nervousness, made it REALLY hard to sleep the night of the test. I went in with only about 4 hours of sleep.

I'm about to go get 40 more ounces at my local coffee shop while I study another afternoon away... And I've already had ~30 ounces today...

Yea... my main coffee mug is the size of a soup bowl. I usually have 24-30 oz coffee in the morning and I'm ready for a ~12 oz cup mid day.... sometimes even again in the evening!

Yea... my main coffee mug is the size of a soup bowl. I usually have 24-30 oz coffee in the morning and I'm ready for a ~12 oz cup mid day.... sometimes even again in the evening!

Better stay of away from those evening cups with your new sleep schedule starting Saturday! ;)

Psh... I barely have to adjust from waking up around 8 to waking up around 6 or 7....