MCAT is a ****ign joke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Wall$treet

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, well have you ever realized how much of a joke the MCAT is. I mean, its the only test you can study for months and get the same score as you would not studying. It is soo much luck involved. They ask you about 2 percent of the knowledge you study and if you happen to be godo at the stuff they ask, well lucky you. Especially so for Physical sciences .I mean know alot of it wel but i know this mcat i got about 3 passages on my absoultly worst stuff, like fluids and circuits. Just unlucky. pisses me off but oh well .. just bitchin!

Members don't see this ad.

If two months of studying is not enough to sufficiently cover all, or most, of the necessary topics (especially important physics concepts such as fluids and circuits) then consider your preparation very much inept. A bit unfair to blame the MCAT, don't you think? I see little in the way of fortuity.

But hey, it's good to vent sometimes. +pissed+

There is some luck (the difference between a 11 and a 13 in sciences. But there is not luck that can give a jump from a 6 to 11. It all greately depnds on the prep. I also found that preparation for the test itself was not as affective as I thought. Course work suring college years mean much more than having taken Kaplan's or any other course.

"Luck" is when preparation meets opportunity.

You knew "fluids" and "circuits" were possible topics on the mcat. If given enough time you could have prepared for those topics. Its not like the mcat pulls topics like quantum physics out of thier butts and slaps it on the test.

Every single prep course tells you the science topics that could show up on the mcat. It is up to you as to how much you are going to study each of those topics and understand the concepts behind each. If you adequately prepared for every single topic that could show up on the test then you would have been prepared for whatever the mcat threw at you.(at least in the sciences)

just my $0.02

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I studied my brains out for 2 months this summer, and I felt way overwhelmed by all the material and how much I had to go back and "review". That said, I agree that now I know what's on the exam I could reasonably be able to prepare (now) for the exam in April. I guess I was too focussed on my classes to actually stop and check out what the MCAT would cover. I was really struggling to cover all the material for the exam in Aug and felt I wasn't prepared. This test really requires strategy and thought as well as basic knowledge. Heck, my physics prof did us a 'favor' by not making us cover capacitors/fluids/circuits in too much detail so that meant I had to do all the work myself this summer :mad: . This is **** you just can't avoid and have to deal with.

Originally posted by Dr. Wall$treet
Hey, well have you ever realized how much of a joke the MCAT is. I mean, its the only test you can study for months and get the same score as you would not studying. It is soo much luck involved. They ask you about 2 percent of the knowledge you study and if you happen to be godo at the stuff they ask, well lucky you. Especially so for Physical sciences .I mean know alot of it wel but i know this mcat i got about 3 passages on my absoultly worst stuff, like fluids and circuits. Just unlucky. pisses me off but oh well .. just bitchin!

It's a little bit of luck, some common sense, a big dose of confidence, and some fundamental knowledge. All in all, it seems like a very fair test at distiguishing people according to their intelligence and anxiety management. I agree with all of the preceding comments, that luck separates the extremely high scores, but not knowing fluid dynamics and electrical circuits is not the fault of the exam. And two quality months of preparing, not simply studying, should get you ready for this exam.

Just be glad they don't take your essay too seriously.

Originally posted by Mudd
It's a little bit of luck, some common sense, a big dose of confidence, and some fundamental knowledge.

Yea... I like that! :clap:

I really didn't study that much. My Mom started nagging me to study when I was a freshmen in college and I put it off. By the time it got here I kinda figured, I have a frickin degree in Biochem and Micro and if I don't do well on this test then I don't deserve to get into med school. The weekend before I did bone up on optics, circuits, and the A&P stuff because I hadn't had that stuff since junior high. The one thing that I did do religiously was the practice tests. This is a very long and tedious exam and you have to be up to the challenge and not lose your concentration. The first 2-3 practice tests I took the sections separately but the last 2 I actually sat down and did the entire test. This still does not prepare you for how sucky the test day will be because it's much longer when they read the instructions and do all their proctor stuff. Get a good nights rest before the test and expect to be brain dead coming out. I did go out with my friends that night but I surely wasn't up to writing any scholarly papers or reading any journals.

Originally posted by DoubleDoctor
By the time it got here I kinda figured, I have a frickin degree in Biochem and Micro and if I don't do well on this test then I don't deserve to get into med school.

That was exactly my thought process before I took the April test, so much so that I didn't feel the need to take any practice tests believing they would steal from my "test energy". That's why it was so hard for me to accept my low score; I actually double-checked online over and over several times, I was in disbelief that those scores belonged to me. I sure hope my prep this time around was not in vain... I gleaned so much knowledge that my head was twice as big as when I started. If I get a bad score I'll just shoot myself right then and there.

Originally posted by DW
you have GOT to be kidding me :eek:

It's true. The University of Western Ontario (UWO), for instance, only looks at your verbal and writing sample scores, and the writing sample has to be at least a 'P' or you're ineligible.

Originally posted by limit
That was exactly my thought process before I took the April test, so much so that I didn't feel the need to take any practice tests believing they would steal from my "test energy". That's why it was so hard for me to accept my low score; I actually double-checked online over and over several times, I was in disbelief that those scores belonged to me. I sure hope my prep this time around was not in vain... I gleaned so much knowledge that my head was twice as big as when I started. If I get a bad score I'll just shoot myself right then and there.

heh, what did we say about self-pity?

Then again, after your done, can I borrow your peice?

In all seriousness, I won't be re-taking the MCAT if I score >32, I know that's crazy...

Originally posted by Kry
heh, what did we say about self-pity?

Then again, after your done, can I borrow your peice?
What are friends for?

:laugh: