MCAT materials and timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bioboy23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello peeps,

I am currently a senior (graduating in fall 2018) and plan on taking a gap year. My plan is to begin some light-ish study this coming summer, throughout my last semester, and then hit it hard in the spring months right before I sit for the exam. My first question is: does this sound like a good plan/timeline? The semester I would be studying through isn't an extremely heavy one and I think it would be more than doable (only 9 hours). Also, I would like to shoot for taking 10 practice exams leading up to the test date. Does more time efficiently studying = higher score?

Second question is: how does one pick the right materials for the MCAT with so many different options on the market? It seems like each one has weaknesses that the others are strong in and vice versa.

Thanks everyone!

Edit: Also, I would be completely fine with mixing different materials for studying if anyone has some good suggestions. I've been saving for a long time for this stuff and the application cycle, so money isn't a huge issue.

Members don't see this ad.

When choosing books, you need to look at one thing above all others. It's simple and obvious, but surprisingly, many people people don't stop to think about it. You will do most of your real learning when you go through the answer explanations. So that is what you should consider above everything else when looking at which books are best FOR YOU. Read through their answer explanations and see how much you learn and/or recommit to your mind. If you become a better test taker after reading the explanation, then that is a good resource. Useful materials must come with BOTH a review section (in case you need to relearn some subjects) and then 80% passage-based questions and 20% free-standing questions (not just free-standing questions.) You need both types of questions. Don't be afraid if a book is thick, because you do not need to read everything. It is better to have too much stuff than too little, because you can always make the personal choice to skim or not read something in a larger book; you can't make the choice to get more detail (if you need it) out of a thin book.

As for your plan to pre-study, it sounds great in theory. Over the years, I have seen many students plan to do this exact same thing. But the reality is that until you have signed up for a test date and start feeling the stress that comes with that, it's not always the best studying. If you want to get a jump on things, then start by doing some passages and seeing how you do in that format. While reviewing is part of preparing, the truth is that most people put way too much emphasis on content and memorization and too little into improving THEIR test taking skills. Starting with passages will put the thought process in perspective when you review.

Try passages that correlate with your course work.

One thing you should do is start making active reading of boring articles from a variety of sources part of your life. Preparing for CARS takes a while, and getting into good habits like these will pay dividends down the road.

When choosing books, you need to look at one thing above all others. It's simple and obvious, but surprisingly, many people people don't stop to think about it. You will do most of your real learning when you go through the answer explanations. So that is what you should consider above everything else when looking at which books are best FOR YOU. Read through their answer explanations and see how much you learn and/or recommit to your mind. If you become a better test taker after reading the explanation, then that is a good resource. Useful materials must come with BOTH a review section (in case you need to relearn some subjects) and then 80% passage-based questions and 20% free-standing questions (not just free-standing questions.) You need both types of questions. Don't be afraid if a book is thick, because you do not need to read everything. It is better to have too much stuff than too little, because you can always make the personal choice to skim or not read something in a larger book; you can't make the choice to get more detail (if you need it) out of a thin book.

As for your plan to pre-study, it sounds great in theory. Over the years, I have seen many students plan to do this exact same thing. But the reality is that until you have signed up for a test date and start feeling the stress that comes with that, it's not always the best studying. If you want to get a jump on things, then start by doing some passages and seeing how you do in that format. While reviewing is part of preparing, the truth is that most people put way too much emphasis on content and memorization and too little into improving THEIR test taking skills. Starting with passages will put the thought process in perspective when you review.

Try passages that correlate with your course work.

One thing you should do is start making active reading of boring articles from a variety of sources part of your life. Preparing for CARS takes a while, and getting into good habits like these will pay dividends down the road.
Thanks for all the great info! I think I am going with TBR books because I have heard their content review is among the most detailed.

So what you're saying is start with passages, maybe a diagnostic, then begin studying so that I have the right mentality going through content review. I will keep that in mind. I have two questions: 1. Where do you suggest I find articles that you are referencing in your last paragraph? And 2. What do you think separates average mcat scorers to the above average? Is it the time they put in? Intelligence? I hate to even suggest this, but the materials they use to study? Just naturally good test takers?

Books wise they're all gonna get the job done. I used Kaplan for content, EK and TBR (2009) for practice. Bought used and spent only 100 total.

From what I've heard studying too early can be a waste. You'll forget things by the time the exam comes around. I agree on doing practice passages and some critical reading though. I studied for 3 months over summer and even the last week or two felt like I should've stopped by then.

If there are some topics you know you're really week on try some Khan academy to brush up and get some of their practice passages done. I didn't really like their practice because of the setup of the explanations but it at least gives you a ton of practice so you don't exhaust your other materials.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the great info! I think I am going with TBR books because I have heard their content review is among the most detailed.

So what you're saying is start with passages, maybe a diagnostic, then begin studying so that I have the right mentality going through content review. I will keep that in mind. I have two questions: 1. Where do you suggest I find articles that you are referencing in your last paragraph? And 2. What do you think separates average mcat scorers to the above average? Is it the time they put in? Intelligence? I hate to even suggest this, but the materials they use to study? Just naturally good test takers?

I don't believe there is such a thing as a diagnostic, because no exam can cover every topic on the MCAT and people get things wrong for different reasons: content error, test taking mistake, careless error, and so on. Just casually start with some passages, with no concern for the score or the timing. They are solely to get you familiar with the style, so that when you start reviewing in ernest, you will know what you are aiming for.

For articles, start on line with things like the Atlantic and Science. Also condor editorials from random newspapers. This will resemble the style of writing for passages.

A great score is rooted in everything you mentioned: intelligence, time, strategy, and the right materials. A perfect case in point is a 525 from this past summer. She would have done well no matter what, because she is extremely intelligent and has good test logic naturally. I honestly don't know if we did much for her other than gave her passages to practice on. Her friend, on the other hand, struggled with how to approach the exam at first, but managed to get within 10 points of her genius roommate through strategic studying. She focused on passages and taking thorough notes when reviewing the answers, and she got better and better at the exam itself. The content came through passage exposure, not reviewing. I think for her, beyond any shadow of a doubt, her dedication and the materials were absolutely 100% responsible for her jump. You have to do passages!

From what I've heard studying too early can be a waste. You'll forget things by the time the exam comes around. I agree on doing practice passages and some critical reading though. I studied for 3 months over summer and even the last week or two felt like I should've stopped by then.

THIS!!! Well stated!

Books wise they're all gonna get the job done. I used Kaplan for content, EK and TBR (2009) for practice. Bought used and spent only 100 total.

If there are some topics you know you're really week on try some Khan academy to brush up and get some of their practice passages done. I didn't really like their practice because of the setup of the explanations but it at least gives you a ton of practice so you don't exhaust your other materials.
When you say you felt like you should’ve stopped by then you mean you felt prepared? My naive thinking is, studying for an unusual amount of time might yield and unusually high score, but I am assuming it is similar to some tough undergrad exams, so I may be wrong. I am a frequent user of Anki, so I was planning on using that heavily so that, in theory, I understand the early content more than the stuff I study just prior to the exam. I kinda took this idea from @otterxavier ’s plan. Do you think that’s not in my best interest?

Last edited:
I don't believe there is such a thing as a diagnostic, because no exam can cover every topic on the MCAT and people get things wrong for different reasons: content error, test taking mistake, careless error, and so on. Just casually start with some passages, with no concern for the score or the timing. They are solely to get you familiar with the style, so that when you start reviewing in ernest, you will know what you are aiming for.

For articles, start on line with things like the Atlantic and Science. Also condor editorials from random newspapers. This will resemble the style of writing for passages.

A great score is rooted in everything you mentioned: intelligence, time, strategy, and the right materials. A perfect case in point is a 525 from this past summer. She would have done well no matter what, because she is extremely intelligent and has good test logic naturally. I honestly don't know if we did much for her other than gave her passages to practice on. Her friend, on the other hand, struggled with how to approach the exam at first, but managed to get within 10 points of her genius roommate through strategic studying. She focused on passages and taking thorough notes when reviewing the answers, and she got better and better at the exam itself. The content came through passage exposure, not reviewing. I think for her, beyond any shadow of a doubt, her dedication and the materials were absolutely 100% responsible for her jump. You have to do passages!
That’s good to hear and great advice! I am naturally a very hard worker and, I believe, an above average to decent test taker, so I’m hoping I will find success. But I also do not underestimate this beast of an exam! So, lots of practice passages and content review in things I am just weaker in. Thanks again!

When you say you felt like you should’ve stopped by then you mean you felt prepared? My naive thinking is, studying for an unusual amount of time might yield and unusually high score, but I am assuming it is similar to some tough undergrad exams, so I may be wrong. I am a frequent user of Anki, so I was planning on using that heavily so that, I’m theory, I understand the early stuff more than the stuff I study just prior to the exam. I kinda took this idea from @otterxavier ’s plan. Do you think that’s not in my best interest?

I love anki and used it quite a bit. I found it Midway through my studying and wish I had used it earlier and definitely recommend it for concepts. It doesn't work too well for other types of problems based on reading research passages though so use it smartly.

What I meant was that with or without that time I don't think it would've made any difference and I just put myself at risk of burn out. I was getting less efficient and distracted more easily near the end. I took my last two practice exams at that point and scored almost at the same level as the prior one to them. I guess it boosted my confidence though but it probably would've made no difference if I didn't have that time.

What I'm trying to get across overall is don't study too early and burn yourself out before you get too close to the exam. I wouldn't recommend any less than 2 months to anyone but also no more than 4 imo. The content was recent for me so 3 months was almost perfect. If it's less fresh for you then a longer length of time sounds good. I wouldn't seriously study for a whole year though. That seems too much. In the end it's up to what you think works best for you but that's my experience at least. As a heads up when I was at the peak of my review I'd go for a solid 8 hours of studying a day so if you have other commitments and longer length of time with fewer hours per day would probably be better for you.

From what I've heard studying too early can be a waste. You'll forget things by the time the exam comes around.

Anki is a flashcard app that emphasizes spaced repetition. If you easily recalled something, it gives you an option to increase the time interval before you see it again. For example, it starts as 1 day if you mark it as easy, then it goes to 4 days if you mark it as easy a second time, then 16, and go on. The key idea behind spaced repetition is easily recalled concepts are reviewed in increasing time intervals while difficult concepts are reviewed in shorter intervals. and when the difficult concepts become easy, you start reviewing them in increasing time intervals. So as long as you use Anki effectively, this is not an issue.

Anki is a flashcard app that emphasizes spaced repetition. If you easily recalled something, it gives you an option to increase the time interval before you see it again. For example, it starts as 1 day if you mark it as easy, then it goes to 4 days if you mark it as easy a second time, then 16, and go on. The key idea behind spaced repetition is easily recalled concepts are reviewed in increasing time intervals while difficult concepts are reviewed in shorter intervals. and when the difficult concepts become easy, you start reviewing them in increasing time intervals. So as long as you use Anki effectively, this is not an issue.
Have you taken the mcat? Do you think it’s reasonable to study for 6 months or do you view it as overkill, too? (While heavily using anki)

Have you taken the mcat? Do you think it’s reasonable to study for 6 months or do you view it as overkill, too? (While heavily using anki)

It all depends on the person. My prep course has good results, their students that adhere strictly to all of their guidelines, which can be found on their website average a 515. One of them is you spend at least 5 months (and that's if you put an intense effort about 20 hours a week). They also have a long-track, 9 months, which I am taking, so no. I do not think it's over kill. Their tutors and mentors are people who previously took the MCAT and scored at least the 95th percentile, so you're not being lectured by a professor, but by someone who can tailor their teaching/studying for the MCAT. I haven't taken the MCAT, so I cannot say anything for sure. I'm just telling you what my prep course and program mentor tells me.

It all depends on the person. My prep course has good results, their students that adhere strictly to all of their guidelines, which can be found on their website average a 515. One of them is you spend at least 5 months (and that's if you put an intense effort about 20 hours a week). They also have a long-track, 9 months, which I am taking, so no. I do not think it's over kill. Their tutors and mentors are people who previously took the MCAT and scored at least the 95th percentile, so you're not being lectured by a professor, but by someone who can tailor their teaching/studying for the MCAT. I haven't taken the MCAT, so I cannot say anything for sure. I'm just telling you what my prep course and program mentor tells me.
Wow, thats pretty impressive. Can you tell me which course you are taking? I'd like to hear more about how you are liking the 9 month course. Just PM me if you don't mind!