MCAT misery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arrowpusher

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN friends, I'm not quite sure about an appropriate title for this thread, because mcat misery is nothing unique to me. However, after searching countless threads over the past few weeks, I feel that I need to post on here to get advice from you guys.

I'm signed up to take my mcat in exactly 8 days. I have had a hellacious semester taking biochem, microbio, genetics, physics 2, and trying to study for the mcat as well as work as a resident adviser. Although I have been putting in significant time studying for the mcat it hasn't been very productive or comprehensive, and I've had a lot of false starts. My scores on practice exams haven't been constant and my verbal has been dismal to say the least.

I took my first FL (AAMC 7) as my baseline a little over a month ago, and got a false sense of security from taking Kaplan tests after, where my score went up by 2 points each test. I thought I had cracked the code in my studying and was headed for a place I wanted to be by test day. Several days later, I took AAMC 4 and did much wore--23 (8,7,8). This hurt my pride a lot and got me to start worrying about my performance on test day.

I spoke with the prehealth advisor at my school and told her this story (this was when I could still change my test date). She recommended that I don't reschedule my mcat and reasoned that the 23 was a fluke score. I know this isn't true, because I'm a pretty good student and generally am good at gauging how well I am grasping the material. But I took the advice anyways. I've taken 3 practice tests since then and the scores have confirmed my fears if not made it worse (26,26,23!). I'm clearly not on the right track and almost out of time considering my test is about a week away.

I'm trying to consider my options but I feel that they are very limited. I could go forth with the exam next week, sign up for another test after and wait to get the score back from the first. However, I have heard that a low score looks bad with adcoms. My prehealth advisor says it doesn't matter, but everyone that I've talked to says otherwise. I also could take the exam I am signed up for and void it at the end--essentially a REALLY expensive practice test. I have heard that adcoms don't see voided tests. So then I could then sign up for a midsummer one with more practice under my belt and that score would be my first official one.

I don't want to completely cancel out at this point because of the 3 rule limit until the 2015 test comes out. I know it's an option to take an extra year and what not, but I really, really don't want to consider that option for several reasons.

If you have any advice/have been in a similar situation/am seeing something I'm not please comment on here to help me out. Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

AAMC practice test scores are pretty much what you are going to get on your real test. Don't be one of those people that takes the actual test banking on getting higher than your practice, they end up doing the worst. You should be at a spot on your practice tests where you should be comfortable with +/- 1 point fluctuation on your real test.

You can look at the statistics for average GPA for accepted students, they are out on the internet and compare what you are getting to what you need. Don't let something so important be decided by luck.

You should realize that this test is worth just as much if not more than all 4 years of your classes combined. So if I was you I would cancel my test, do nothing this summer except for study for the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
First of all, trust yourself and be honest with yourself. That should lead you to the best decision in this case.Second, since you can't cancel the test, go take it but VOID it! This attempt won't show up anywhere and you will also get a real practice!

Accepted! Class of 2018!!! Go Bruins!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey SDN friends, I'm not quite sure about an appropriate title for this thread, because mcat misery is nothing unique to me. However, after searching countless threads over the past few weeks, I feel that I need to post on here to get advice from you guys.

I'm signed up to take my mcat in exactly 8 days. I have had a hellacious semester taking biochem, microbio, genetics, physics 2, and trying to study for the mcat as well as work as a resident adviser. Although I have been putting in significant time studying for the mcat it hasn't been very productive or comprehensive, and I've had a lot of false starts. My scores on practice exams haven't been constant and my verbal has been dismal to say the least.

I took my first FL (AAMC 7) as my baseline a little over a month ago, and got a false sense of security from taking Kaplan tests after, where my score went up by 2 points each test. I thought I had cracked the code in my studying and was headed for a place I wanted to be by test day. Several days later, I took AAMC 4 and did much wore--23 (8,7,8). This hurt my pride a lot and got me to start worrying about my performance on test day.

I spoke with the prehealth advisor at my school and told her this story (this was when I could still change my test date). She recommended that I don't reschedule my mcat and reasoned that the 23 was a fluke score. I know this isn't true, because I'm a pretty good student and generally am good at gauging how well I am grasping the material. But I took the advice anyways. I've taken 3 practice tests since then and the scores have confirmed my fears if not made it worse (26,26,23!). I'm clearly not on the right track and almost out of time considering my test is about a week away.

I'm trying to consider my options but I feel that they are very limited. I could go forth with the exam next week, sign up for another test after and wait to get the score back from the first. However, I have heard that a low score looks bad with adcoms. My prehealth advisor says it doesn't matter, but everyone that I've talked to says otherwise. I also could take the exam I am signed up for and void it at the end--essentially a REALLY expensive practice test. I have heard that adcoms don't see voided tests. So then I could then sign up for a midsummer one with more practice under my belt and that score would be my first official one.

I don't want to completely cancel out at this point because of the 3 rule limit until the 2015 test comes out. I know it's an option to take an extra year and what not, but I really, really don't want to consider that option for several reasons.

If you have any advice/have been in a similar situation/am seeing something I'm not please comment on here to help me out. Thanks everyone!

DO NOT TAKE IT WITH THE INTENTION OF VOIDING. This will count as one of your 3 attempts! Read page 15 of the MCAT manual (link attached). Reschedule your date until you are ready because canceling/rescheduling in advance does not count as an "attempt." Also, if I were you I would not take the MCAT soon. Speaking from experience I finished my last 3 aamc practices with 31,32,31 and ended up with a 29 on the real thing. Take your time man. You won't regret it. Best of luck!
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/63060/data/mcatessentials.pdf

If you're not ready, do not take the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
Some schools average the score. So if you took this one and got a 24, even if you get a 30 on the retake, it would be a 27 (correct me if I'm wrong on this methodology). My advice - don't go into the test expecting to void, but if you don't feel good after it, void away. It won't show up anywhere. Maybe having this option in the back of your mind would ease off some stress going into the test, and you'll surprise yourself.

You're wrong on this methodology.

Some schools take the average, some schools take the higher score, all schools wonder about the maturity/wisdom of a student who took the MCAT unprepared.

Some schools average the score. So if you took this one and got a 24, even if you get a 30 on the retake, it would be a 27 (correct me if I'm wrong on this methodology). My advice - don't go into the test expecting to void, but if you don't feel good after it, void away. It won't show up anywhere. Maybe having this option in the back of your mind would ease off some stress going into the test, and you'll surprise yourself.

You're wrong on this methodology.

Some schools take the average, some schools take the higher score, all schools wonder about the maturity/wisdom of a student who took the MCAT unprepared.

So when you say some schools take the average, what does that entail since I'm wrong?

If OP voids, schools will not be able to see that s/he took the MCAT unprepared.

My kaplan scores were the same as my MCAT scores. If that matters to you at all.

My mistake, I apologize. I misread your post as saying that *all* schools take the average. Some do take the average, or so I've heard.

So when you say some schools take the average, what does that entail since I'm wrong?

If OP voids, schools will not be able to see that s/he took the MCAT unprepared.

And OP - My average on the AAMC practice tests was 4 pts higher than my actual test. I'm an anomaly, and feel like I would do much better if I retook, but just be aware that sometimes it doesn't go as well as you planned. I'm normally someone who does well under pressure for tests.

The MCAT is too important and difficult of an exam to take with a low level of confidence or preparedness. If you feel your studying has been inadequate and/or you're not hitting your target scores, then don't take it.

If you're going to take the MCAT during the school year (or at least prepare during the school year) you absolutely have to take a lighter course load so that you can study effectively and devote enough time to it. Balancing MCAT prep with four tough science classes is just too much.