MCAT Note-takers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

Scooby-Doo

I'm studying for the August MCAT with EK book series. For those who are taking notes: what do you take notes on? These books have so much information! Are you guys planning to read the chapters a second or third time around, anyway? So please I want to know what kind of things do you take note on and do you write on the margins or on a separate piece of paper? Sorry for the dumb questions. Just curious :D

Members don't see this ad.

Scooby-Doo said:
I'm studying for the August MCAT with EK book series. For those who are taking notes: what do you take notes on? These books have so much information! Are you guys planning to read the chapters a second or third time around, anyway? So please I want to know what kind of things do you take note on and do you write on the margins or on a separate piece of paper? Sorry for the dumb questions. Just curious :D

First I am reading through the entire EK series and underlining everything that I should know, plus writing mneumonics and other hints in the margins. Then I plan to go through the series and compile everything important, in my own words. I find that the process of distilling the text into my own definitions, acronyms, and memory-devices to be very effective. Plus, it's important to have all of the important information in one place, rather than having to flip through each of the separate books to help you understand a topic that you may have forgotten.

Scooby-Doo said:

I have not been taking notes because I find I never look at them. It is much easier for me to review by going back over the chapters while listening to the audio osmosis for said chapter. When I tried taking notes before, it was very time consuming and I felt like I was pretty much copying the book.

i have EK as well. althought they are great, i found that they alone, were not enough for me. they are too consise w/o much explaining and not enough example problems. i found EK to be a great source to supplement the review im doing with TPR review books.

Members don't see this ad :)
Canez81 said:
i have EK as well. althought they are great, i found that they alone, were not enough for me. they are too consise w/o much explaining and not enough example problems. i found EK to be a great source to supplement the review im doing with TPR review books.

Really? Do you have the 1001 series with all the practice problems? I find I have too many problems to work on!! :laugh:

I didn't use EK (took an independent course with its own book), and I just made a page each for physics, gchem, and ochem. Basically it was just for formulas for me to memorize since I worked to learn concepts during classes and while reading. I think the key in notetaking is to be as concise as possible. Also look through the AAMC syllabus so you don't waste any time doing unnecessary stuff.

I'm doing EK. I started by taking full notes, but I was basically just repeating the book and it took way too long (like 6 hours per chapter), now I just take notes on bolded and italic definitions... I only add in normal notes to clarify and to make it cohesive.

I also write down most of the orange words (by the Kracker dude) cause it usually summarizes what you need to know pretty well.

I had a binder. The problem topic binder. In my opinion there is no use making tons of notes on something you know already and have no problem(s) getting questions right on.

So if I did a practice test (or a Kaplan test, topical or whatever) and I had a hard time with light & optics physics questions and thermodynamics,

I would punch holes in that test, put the rationale for the answers by all of the questions, and take a short (short!) review of the topic in my materials, noting formulas I should think of, definitions that were foggy, etc.
Also I would do some 1001 EK questions on the topic and if I thought any were really good I would cut out that page and put it in the binder. :luck:

trozman said:
I'm doing EK. I started by taking full notes, but I was basically just repeating the book and it took way too long (like 6 hours per chapter)

I agree, notes take such a long time! I can't believe the schedule only allots 3-4 hours. I am not that quick!

So I've decided to stick to one page per section. Rather than take notes on every detail, aim just for the meat of each section.