MCAT Percentiles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ja312608

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how often MCAT percentiles are calculated and posted? I see way more posts of people with MCATs above 500 than posts of MCATs below 500 and was wondering if the percentiles are really accurate or if SDN is just a terrible sample size that I'm looking at.

Members don't see this ad.

People posting their scores on SDN are usually asking for advice on applying to schools. I imagine most people know that a sub-500 isn't application-ready and so don't bother making a post until they get that score up.

Does anyone know how often MCAT percentiles are calculated and posted? I see way more posts of people with MCATs above 500 than posts of MCATs below 500 and was wondering if the percentiles are really accurate or if SDN is just a terrible sample size that I'm looking at.
the percentiles posted by AAMC are accurate. Those with scores above the mean are way more likely to post on both Reddit and SDN so you have a biased sample with a ton of selection bias

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For 2019-2020, 13,659 people (~25.5%) applied with an MCAT of 500 and below.

Reactions: 1 user
This is insane, can't believe people would do this. 25% of applicants have no business applying.

About 3.8% of matriculants had a <=500! But yes, you'd be surprised about the average applicant's profile, especially after spending time on SDN. No wonder 60% of them get rejected every year!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users