Updated MCAT Percentiles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Overthink

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most scores took a 1-2 percentile hit

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...ction_score_percentile_ranks_2017_for_web.pdf

@efle you gotta update your conversion chart

If you're too lazy to use efle's chart:

upload_2017-5-1_14-4-20-png.218348

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'll do that now, thanks!

Edit: My table is now updated. Also copying this from below for better visibility.

Here are the composite score percentile changes (e.g. 519 went from 98th to 97th so it is -1)

mBjA7D4.png

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does this really mean anything to those that have already taken the test or no?

Reactions: 1 user

Doubt it. Just the AAMC self correcting after accumulating more data. Since I suspect most schools are using percentile conversion charts to interpret mcat scores, it might affect those applying to schools with medians in the 97-99th percentile

Yeah, I'm not sure how we should be matching up our MCATs with schools now.

I took my MCAT last august, but my MCAT went down a whole point on the old scale because of the change. Should I use the current numbers in MSAR or essentially add 2 points to every median in MSAR?

Yeah, I'm not sure how we should be matching up our MCATs with schools now.

I took my MCAT last august, but my MCAT went down a whole point on the old scale because of the change. Should I use the current numbers in MSAR or essentially add 2 points to every median in MSAR?

nobody can predict how schools will use this information, if at all. Use the current MSAR since it does contain new mcat info and things are more likely to stay the same than shift slightly because of such a minor change

It should be easy to figure out if scores have been updated. Just need a few people to check whether AAMC online score report matches my current table from the 2016 percentiles. If there are suddenly some errors, it's because your score has been retroactively assigned a new percentile.

Anybody that tested last year want to share if they still line up with my current table or now are slightly off?

It should be easy to figure out if scores have been updated. Just need a few people to check whether AAMC online score report matches my current table from the 2016 percentiles. If there are suddenly some errors, it's because your score has been retroactively assigned a new percentile.

Anybody that tested last year want to share if they still line up with my current table or now are slightly off?

My 516 is now a 94th percentile (down from 95). Most scores shifted down a bit if you take a close look.

So the percentiles do update even if you tested under the prior curve. Interesting.

Ya, I just read the bottom and it updates all the of the test the last few years.

On a good note, THIS MEANS YOU CAN STILL COMPARE YOUR SCORES TO THE MSAR. They all will have been bumped down in percentile, too.

Edit: Efle going savage liking my score going down ;)

My 519 from 05/2016 went from 98% -> 97%.

I mean, percentile changes? What? Nah I don't know anything about that :whistle:

So the percentiles do update even if you tested under the prior curve. Interesting.

I would be pretty salty if I was reapplying. This means my score is being compared to people taking the test right now, who have access to more and better study materials? Feels like they should go by year or something.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

When you log in to check you score it automatically updates the percentiles on that grid thing

Mine went from a 93 when I took it in 2015 to a 94 in 2016 and back down to a 93 in 2017....CARS went up from 87 I think in 2015 to 90 in 2016 and stayed at 90 in 2017, but the psych went down by 3% now kinda sad. 128 used to be 87% when I took it and now 84%....does that mean this section is relatively easier or they just couldn't guess the proper percentiles since it was so new?

Ya, I just read the bottom and it updates all the of the test the last few years.

On a good note, THIS MEANS YOU CAN STILL COMPARE YOUR SCORES TO THE MSAR. They all will have been bumped down in percentile, too.

Edit: Efle going savage liking my score going down ;)

Well MSAR didn't/won't update with new scores. The point is since schools are going to maintain the percentiles, they will most likely go up 1-2 points to match their desired medians on the old scale. Aka a 516 from last year will hold less weight this upcoming cycle (mainly at the top 20).

The MSAR uses scores, not percentiles (If I am reading it correctly), so it wont change. The only percentiles is class percentiles.

Idk why but I'm glad I applied the same year I took the Mcat. Feels like I mightve avoided a lot of heartbreak.

Is the drop in the overall percentiles attributed largely to a single subsection? Seems like psych/soc is the culprit here

My 128 went from 87% to 84% so I think that was the main cause, everything else stayed the same

So question...if I had been applying with my 517 this coming cycle (I'm not but if I had been), would the LizzyM conversion go to 35 still?

So question...if I had been applying with my 517 this coming cycle (I'm not but if I had been), would the LizzyM conversion go to 35 still?
I mean technically you dropped from 96th to 95th

for all practical purposes I'd apply like you were still a 35

Although "apply like you were a X" is no longer something I need to say, the MSAR is all new scores, so really you should apply as a 517!

Due to the change I would do one of two things:
1. Drop your MCAT score 1-2 points (act as if you have a 516) and use the current MSAR

or

2. Add 1 point to every MCAT number on MSAR

This would be the most realistic approach.

Last edited:
I still think the following guidelines are maintained

520+ = apply anywhere (including top tiers)

515-519 = very competitive (could add some top tiers but the statwhores could be hesitant)

510-514 = competitive for low and mid tier schools

505-509 = borderline applicant for MD; competitive for DO

The only schools that would split hairs over percentile changes are those with the medians of >97th percentile

Due to the change I would do one of two things:
1. Drop your MCAT score 1-2 points (act as if you have a 515) and use the current MSAR

or

2. Add 1-2 points to every MCAT number on MSAR

This would be the most realistic approach.

This is too extreme. WashU median isn't going to increase from 521 to 523. And schools with near 510 medians aren't going to end up with 511-512.

A drop in the percentile doesn't correspond linearly to a drop in MCAT score. That is too severe a penalty.

This is too extreme. WashU median isn't going to increase from 521 to 523. And schools with near 510 medians aren't going to end up with 511-512.

A drop in the percentile doesn't correspond linearly to a drop in MCAT score. That is too severe a penalty.
How do you think things will change? I have a 517, should I care that I went from 96th-->95th?

I am willing to bet money this will happen.

All of these changes will be more pronounced at the higher end (515+). Example: everyone with a 519 dropped from a 37 to a 36.

Last edited:
I think it'll be split for some going up 1 point and others not going up at all. I don't see any scores that lose more than 1 percentile, so there is not reason for it to jump >1 point.

I think it'll be split for some going up 1 point and others not going up at all. I don't see any scores that lose more than 1 percentile, so there is not reason for it to jump >1 point.

507: 76 percentile --> 74 percentile

How do you think things will change? I have a 517, should I care that I went from 96th-->95th?

No idea. Schools that want to be statwhores will salivate over any opportunity to boost their medians. Others will keep their medians unchanged or possibly even decreased by a point or two.

I am willing to bet money this will happen.

All of these changes will be more pronounced at the higher end (515+). Example: everyone with a 519 dropped from a 37 to a 36.

Higher end consists of top tiers and upper mid tiers so no surprise there. Although if schools with 510 medians do bump them up by few points, they really have no justification to yield protect applicants with super high MCAT scores. That's being hypocritical.

I had 98+ percentiles in everything except Chem/Phys and they all stayed the same. My 128 in Chem/Phys however, fell from 87th to 86th.

Worth mentioning that my overall percentile didn't change either but I was 99th.

Tested May 2016

518: 97->97
130: 97->97
130: 98->98
128: 87->85
130: 97->96

516 and I'm still keeping 95% in my heart! Ignorance is bliss :)

(I don't know why I kind of still care at this point)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Here are the composite score percentile changes:

mBjA7D4.png
This is interesting, it hits the mid-low tier scores really hard, the higher tiers kinda meh, and doesnt touch them god tier scores.

Here are the composite score percentile changes:

mBjA7D4.png
This is interesting, it hits the mid-low tier scores really hard, the higher tiers kinda meh, and doesnt touch them god tier scores.

lol looks like the AAMC objective to deemphasize numbers and percentiles had backfired on them spectacularly! the ones whom AAMC want to help end up being hurt the most while the ones whom AAMC want to reduce emphasis are barely affected

I actually think what we're seeing is a reset of slightly inflated values to their intended positions. 500 was always supposed to be smack in the middle for example, so having 500 as 53rd previously was too high. I think future updates are going to see scores sitting much more stably around where they are now.

Yeah, the Chem/Phys percentiles changed around a bit: a 129 went from 93rd percentile to 92nd. Not really going to lose sleep over it... :rolleyes:

To go along with efle's table:

upload_2017-5-1_14-4-20.png

519 scorers gotta be salty

Biggest regret in life is not getting one more problem correct in chem/phys. /s

Maybe once I actually get in some place it wont matter, but yes currently salty. Will corroborate your statement.

Reactions: 4 users
519 scorers gotta be salty

Only med school apps can make you feel scoring a 97th percentile is inadequate. I was hoping my MCAT would carry my average GPA so yea, pretty salty right now.