MCAT postpone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

susheeto22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am scheduled to take the MCAT on 5/19, but I do not feel ready and want to postpone until 6/16. Im not sure if I should just work my butt off and get it over with, or possibly compromise an acceptance to med school because my application is behind others.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!
I think we'll need more details to be able to help. What's your evidence that you aren't ready? Are there a lot of topics you haven't covered yet? Have you tried an AAMC practice test?

Hi!
I think we'll need more details to be able to help. What's your evidence that you aren't ready? Are there a lot of topics you haven't covered yet? Have you tried an AAMC practice test?

I just feel there are a lot of topics that I havent covered, specifically in Biochemistry and Organic Chemistry. I have taken one practice test and got a 497. This would be my retake, so I really do not want to mess up. I'm doing well in CARS and psych, though. I just feel like its coming up so fast and I still have a lot of ground to cover.

Agree with @pms_testosterone -- we need more info. Have you taken any practice tests (best predicator would be AAMC material) and if so what were your scores?

Testing in June isn't too late-- it'll be later than some, but you'll have your score by July so if the rest of your application (GPA, extracurriculars, etc) is good, you should be okay. Unless you want to share that info with us, though, that's a decision you'll have to make for yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with @pms_testosterone -- we need more info. Have you taken any practice tests (best predicator would be AAMC material) and if so what were your scores?

Testing in June isn't too late-- it'll be later than some, but you'll have your score by July so if the rest of your application (GPA, extracurriculars, etc) is good, you should be okay. Unless you want to share that info with us, though, that's a decision you'll have to make for yourself.

Hey! So my first test was 497. As for GPA, I'm starting the MS in biomedical sciences at PCOM this august, which will hopefully help with that. Other than that, my ec's and recommendations are solid.

@susheeto22 [Edited for poor reading comprehension] Unless you think you can finish content review in the next week or two, I would reschedule. Leaving at least a month to just do practice questions is probably prudent.

Hey! So my first test was 497. As for GPA, I'm starting the MS in biomedical sciences at PCOM this august, which will hopefully help with that. Other than that, my ec's and recommendations are solid.
Are you applying this cycle? If so, the grades from your MS program won't really help your application since you're just starting this summer.

Are you applying this cycle? If so, the grades from your MS program won't really help your application since you're just starting this summer.

So for PCOM, if you do well in their program you get a guaranteed interview for their DO program

@susheeto22 [Edited for poor reading comprehension] Unless you think you can finish content review in the next week or two, I would reschedule. Leaving at least a month to just do practice questions is probably prudent.

Since the last day to reschedule is 5/03, ill probably squeeze in 2 more FL's and see what the trend is. i think half of it is just nerves and being an anxious test-taker

So for PCOM, if you do well in their program you get a guaranteed interview for their DO program
Oh okay, that's great! I think what you said in the above post is best: try to take two more tests to get a better idea. Try to make one of them the AAMC one because it's the best predictor. If you can't increase your score, postpone! Especially since you have that guaranteed interview, you're better off putting it off and doing better.

Oh okay, that's great! I think what you said in the above post is best: try to take two more tests to get a better idea. Try to make one of them the AAMC one because it's the best predictor. If you can't increase your score, postpone! Especially since you have that guaranteed interview, you're better off putting it off and doing better.

I purchased a whole bundle from AAMC, so I believe there are 3 or 4 practice tests in that. Thanks for your reply! It made me feel better about my plan

Reactions: 1 user