MCAT Practice Tests Vs. The Real Thing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxfudd

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took my first MCAT practice test today (a Kaplan test from the Kaplan 2000 prep book) in preparation for the April MCAT. I figured that, hey, I'm a smart guy, I'll do at least decently, right?

Result: 8VR 7PS 8BS

How do these practice tests compare with the real thing. Is the grading scale similar? Does anyone do well on the initial practice tests (I've been preparing for about 3 weeks now - seems I have a ways to go)?

One more question: I have myself scheduled for about 16 full exams (mostly Kaplan and princeton review prep book and class exams) between now and April 21st. My friends say that this is overkill and that I will burn myself out. I counter that after 16 tests, I will be ready for anything. Your feedback is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by rxfudd:
I just took my first MCAT practice test today (a Kaplan test from the Kaplan 2000 prep book) in preparation for the April MCAT. I figured that, hey, I'm a smart guy, I'll do at least decently, right?

Result: 8VR 7PS 8BS

How do these practice tests compare with the real thing. Is the grading scale similar? Does anyone do well on the initial practice tests (I've been preparing for about 3 weeks now - seems I have a ways to go)?

One more question: I have myself scheduled for about 16 full exams (mostly Kaplan and princeton review prep book and class exams) between now and April 21st. My friends say that this is overkill and that I will burn myself out. I counter that after 16 tests, I will be ready for anything. Your feedback is appreciated.

Read this thread. My response is all the way at the bottom... Please!

http://www.studentdoctor.net/bbs/Forum3/HTML/002718.html

Very interesting approach...I will consider this carefully. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking some full length practice exams interspersed with studying is probably a good method. But don't rely too heavily on the scores from Kaplan and the others. Get the actual old MCAT's from AAMC. They are expensive (check on e-bay and other auction sites as you can find some used ones much cheaper) but they're really the closest TO the real thing and only then will you know what your are likely to score come test day. Be warned that the score conversion charts for AAMC Test I and II are kinda crappy. Things only get better and the latest (Test V) has a great answer booklet that really helps with review.

Lastly, stay away from the "cheap-o" practice test books like REA and ARCO. Their practice tests are nothing like the MCAT. The Physical Science section is basically a test of your mathematics (for 90%of the questions the passage is irrelevant) and the reading comprehension sections are much easier than the real thing. The score conversion chart is a joke. I don't think this book is published anymore (thank goodness) but I got it out of my library.

Anyway, that's my opinion. Good luck on April 21 - only 62 days away....

[This message has been edited by mpp (edited 02-19-2001).]

Originally posted by mpp:
Lastly, stay away from the "cheap-o" practice test books like REA. Their practice tests are nothing like the MCAT. The Physical Science section is basically a test of your mathematics (for 90%of the questions the passage is irrelevant) and the reading comprehension are much easier than the real thing. They score conversion chart is a joke. I don't think this book is published anymore (thank goodness) but I got it out of my library.

Oh yes! I agree completely! I totally forgot to mention about those cheap-o's. I bought one (ARCO), in addition to the Kaplan retail book at the bookstore, and it was crap! Don't get tempted by the price or the list of MD authors...

Hey, why aren't my number of posts stat moving up? Why is it only at 14? I know I must have posted like 20-30 by now...
smile.gif

Oh wait, it is moving up, slowly... That's cool, the post number increases dynamically. Every time I post, my post numbers are updated on every page...

Oh no, not on every page, but just those in the same thread... haha, sorry to keep posting to this thread, I'm not trying to trivialize it... I wonder how many posts it takes before I'm a senior member.