MCAT Prep and College Courseload?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhiteCoatSyndrome

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most students take the MCAT during the spring of their junior year in college and I am likely to do the same. However, the one thing that concerns me is how to balance my coursework with MCAT prep. I would be much more concerned if many people hadn't already been successful at it, but what advice would you offer about successfully prepping for the MCAT during the semester?

Members don't see this ad.

All of the people I knew in college took it during the summer. In either the summer after their sophomore or the summer after their junior year. Mostly after their junior year.

During orientation I also talked with a handful of students about the MCAT, mainly about how bad of summer it was because of studying for the MCAT. So overall, don't know too many people in medical school that took it during the school year. I'm sure there are plenty that did, I just don't know any since you never talk about it in medical school. Additionally, even if they did do well on the MCAT while studying in school, it's good to keep in mind that the majority of MCAT test takers do poorly. Getting into medical school by itself strongly skews the curve since you have to be a strong student to get in.

Basically, what I'm getting at is that most of what I see on here is people that tried studying during the school year and did horribly. Definite self-selection, but it does show that it's not a good idea. I'd bet that the majority of people that now need to retake attempted to study during the school year. The other big chunk is due to verbal scores.

Can some students pull it off? Sure. Most would crash and burn.

Last edited:
Basically, what I'm getting at is that most of what I see on here is people that tried studying during the school year and did horribly. Definite self-selection, but it does show that it's not a good idea. I'd bet that the majority of people that now need to retake attempted to study during the school year. The other big chunk is due to verbal scores.

Pretty much this, unfortunately.

I am sure I am the exception and certainly not the rule, but I am working full time and taking two classes while doing my MCAT prep, studying about 2 hours/day 7 days/week and after one month I am averaging 35 - 37 on my AAMC practice tests.

While it is nice to be able to devote full days to studying, it CAN be done with a fewer FOCUSED hours/week. I must say though, when I am studying I devote my FULL attention for 2 hours, with one break (< 5 minutes) to rest my eyes.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if most of the students you know took it the summer after their junior year, did they have to wait a year after college to be a part of the next application cycle?

So if most of the students you know took it the summer after their junior year, did they have to wait a year after college to be a part of the next application cycle?

Nope. They went right into medical school after college. Though most of them regretted doing that, but that's another story.

I should probably note that my college typically ended in mid-May. Also, they got ALL of their stuff in order before taking the MCAT (i.e. LORs, ECs, primary app written including personal statement). I think they might have gotten a jump start on secondaries too, though I'm really not sure. They basically had their entire app ready and submitted early with only their MCAT score left.

Last edited:
You need to study about 5 hours per week for 3 weeks to get about 35ish on the MCAT. If you're of below average intelligence, maybe more.

Nope. They went right into medical school after college. Though most of them regretted doing that, but that's another story.

I should probably note that my college typically ended in mid-May. Also, they got ALL of their stuff in order before taking the MCAT (i.e. LORs, ECs, primary app written including personal statement). I think they might have gotten a jump start on secondaries too, though I'm really not sure. They basically had their entire app ready and submitted early with only their MCAT score left.

I think it's worthwhile to point this fact out with what SN2ed said.

If you do what he suggested by taking MCAT late July/early August and submit your AMCAS early in the advance, then you may come out perfectly fine. The issue here, however, is that if your MCAT score was low AND you need to re-take, this puts you in very unfortunate situation since rescheduling would mean that your re-take MCAT would be early September.

I think it's worthwhile to point this fact out with what SN2ed said.

If you do what he suggested by taking MCAT late July/early August and submit your AMCAS early in the advance, then you may come out perfectly fine. The issue here, however, is that if your MCAT score was low AND you need to re-take, this puts you in very unfortunate situation since rescheduling would mean that your re-take MCAT would be early September.

Just to be clear, I don't recommend doing that. What I wrote is only what they did.

What I would recommend is getting a solid MCAT before worrying about applying. People always put up these artificial deadlines for themselves that ultimately hurt their chances because they're needlessly rushing things. I've said this many times, but medical school isn't going anywhere.

You need to study about 5 hours per week for 3 weeks to get about 35ish on the MCAT. If you're of below average intelligence, maybe more.

I only studied for 4 days and I got a 39.

It only takes a few practice AAMCs to guage the type of exam the MCAT is. All in all, depending on how removed you are from the prereq materials, you need at most a week to prepare.

I got 42 on the diagnostic and 40 on the real thing. I am entitled to take the class again, technically.

The question shouldn't be, is it possible to go from 21 to 35. The question should be, how can it not be possible for a person to get under 35?

I'm not sure what your goal is in trolling, but please stop. The condescending nature of your troll posts is not funny and I believe it to be harmful to the psyche of some great people who will go on to make compassionate, caring doctors that will humbly save lives.

I hate being a mother hen poster, but over my years of doing this I have encountered some people who amaze me with their genuine love for people and their drive to become a physician in an area where it's desperately needed. What they sacrifice in their goal to become a doctor is inspirational. Some of these folks struggle with the MCAT. I hope they never see your troll posts. They will scratch and claw and work till they pass out to get a score that will squeak them into a school. They will become great doctors. I'm not sure what you'll be, but please don't be the troll that feeds on their pain.

You like to make the MCAT more difficult than it is. I don't blame you, as you work for a company that relies on this fact to sell its services and products and make profit. But the problem, not just with the MCAT, but in the broader society is the notion that only gifted people can become successful academically. Everything I have said reflects my belief that almost anybody can do well on the MCAT, not that only I or other "smart" people can do well.

You like to make the MCAT more difficult than it is. I don't blame you, as you work for a company that relies on this fact to sell its services and products and make profit. But the problem, not just with the MCAT, but in the broader society is the notion that only gifted people can become successful academically. Everything I have said reflects my belief that almost anybody can do well on the MCAT, not that only I or other "smart" people can do well.

Dude, every time you made a post, your MCAT score changed. This immediately loses credibility on the words you say. I think most people in SDN know that your advice is not to be taken seriously, for it is likely that you probably didn't even take any prerequisite for medical schools. Stop wasting our time

Actually my score hasn't changed. The first time I got a 40, but that was a few years ago. I had to retake it when the score became invalid for most schools and got a 39.

So I have an updated question. I am participation in an REU this summer for 8 weeks until July 15th. Knowing this, when would be he best time for me to take the MCAT? During the school year next spring or durin a summer, either next summer or try to stuy this summer and take the MCAT in September?

I am currently a junior and I am taking the MCAT in two weeks. I have been studying all semester and it isn't so bad. I knew I wanted to get my application in early and not have a terrible summer of studying so I decided to study while also taking college courses. The key is front-loading. I took 20 hours in the fall, and am only taking 12 this semester (which includes an independent study and a PE class :thumbup: ). My only somewhat challenging course is cell bio, but it actually has been pretty good review for the MCAT. I spend pretty much all my free-time and weekends at library, but then again I have all summer to chill and can apply June 1st. Good luck!

I am currently a junior and I am taking the MCAT in two weeks. I have been studying all semester and it isn't so bad. I knew I wanted to get my application in early and not have a terrible summer of studying so I decided to study while also taking college courses. The key is front-loading. I took 20 hours in the fall, and am only taking 12 this semester (which includes an independent study and a PE class :thumbup: ). My only somewhat challenging course is cell bio, but it actually has been pretty good review for the MCAT. I spend pretty much all my free-time and weekends at library, but then again I have all summer to chill and can apply June 1st. Good luck!

Couldn't you follow this same kind of strategy and "back-load" the second semester, and then take the MCAT in January while studying during first semester?