• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

MCAT Prep Books

Feb 7, 2013
Seattle, WA
  1. Pre-Medical
Wasn't sure whether or not to post this in MCAT or Pre-Allo. Feel free to move it if you think it should be elsewhere.

To keep things short, I don't have a whole lot of money to spend on prep books. I've saved $500 over the past year to buy them. Since money is an issue, I want to focus on getting the best books first in case I cannot buy more. Which ones would you all consider essential?

I understand that some books may or may not be preferred by everyone, but anything is better than what I currently have.

Thanks!

jsak

Aug 23, 2011
  1. Pre-Medical
Should be moved to the MCAT forum.

I prefer princeton review (TPR). Exam Krackers is good if you have a very solid foundation of the material, because it is more of a review.

But if you are only semi solid on material...or a non science major, then TPR is going to be better. I wasn't too solid on general chemistry, so I tried the exam krackers but the explanations were not good enough to get a full understanding. Using TPR books, I definitely got the information down more. I was good at physics and biology and the TPR continued to reinforce my understanding.

So IMO if you are looking for books to just review, then exam krackers is good. if you are looking for books to help you get a solid understanding and maybe learn some new things, then TPR is the way to go. But the whole set costs around $300.

About the Ads

amad01

5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2012
  1. Medical Student
Wasn't sure whether or not to post this in MCAT or Pre-Allo. Feel free to move it if you think it should be elsewhere.

To keep things short, I don't have a whole lot of money to spend on prep books. I've saved $500 over the past year to buy them. Since money is an issue, I want to focus on getting the best books first in case I cannot buy more. Which ones would you all consider essential?

I understand that some books may or may not be preferred by everyone, but anything is better than what I currently have.

Thanks!

find yeselfs a good pirate aye :hijacked:

drdoom12

7+ Year Member
May 5, 2011
  1. Pre-Medical
I don't take the MCAT for another year and haven't had physics or orgo yet, but I have been thinking about picking up some review books to study prior to "really" studying for the MCAT. Is this advisable? I mainly wanted to pick up some for gen chem and bio, as I have already had those/am in the process of taking them. Would it be a bad idea to go ahead and get a head-start on physics and organic, as well?

Feb 7, 2013
Seattle, WA
  1. Pre-Medical
I found a TPR Bio on ebay for $15. They are $45 retail, so I figured it was a good deal. I bought an ExamKrackers set yesterday (Used) for $125. One of my friends is going to let me use her Kaplan Review Notes books since she's a year ahead of me. So as of right now I have $360 left to spend. Do you think I should opt for more TPR, ExamKrackers 1001, or TBR? Which one would you recommend for Chem? I really need to work on it.

Captain Sisko

U.S.S. Defiant
Sep 30, 2012
  1. Medical Student
I found a TPR Bio on ebay for $15. They are $45 retail, so I figured it was a good deal. I bought an ExamKrackers set yesterday (Used) for $125. One of my friends is going to let me use her Kaplan Review Notes books since she's a year ahead of me. So as of right now I have $360 left to spend. Do you think I should opt for more TPR, ExamKrackers 1001, or TBR? Which one would you recommend for Chem? I really need to work on it.

if you have a set budget for mcat prep make sure you save money for practice exams. they're $35/each so plan ahead on buying at least tests 10 and 11, though more is better.

NickNaylor

Thank You for Smoking
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
May 22, 2008
Deep in the heart of Texas
  1. Attending Physician
You should be able to pick up the complete EK set along with all of the AAMC practice exams for less than $500. IMO that's all you need if you did well in your pre-reqs and haven't completely forgotten the material.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.