MCAT Prep Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocPickleRick

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone enrolled in a Next Step or Altius Everywhere MCAT prep course? If so, did you think it was worth the money? Has anyone actually received a score below the Altius 90th percentile guarantee? They are both pretty expensive so I wanted to weigh all of my options and hear people’s opinions before deciding.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone enrolled in a Next Step or Altius Everywhere MCAT prep course? If so, did you think it was worth the money? Has anyone actually received a score below the Altius 90th percentile guarantee? They are both pretty expensive so I wanted to weigh all of my options and hear people’s opinions before deciding.

I did the Altius on-site program (not the MCAT everywhere program), but they are essentially the same format and content, except MCAT Everywhere is done online. I definitely know people who did the Altius program and got below the 90th percentile. I think this just shows that the MCAT is less about the program and more about your personal hard work and dedication. I listened to The MCAT podcast, which used a lot of Next Step material and practice problems. Next Step's material seemed to accurately reflect the questions on the real exam, but don't take my word for it, since I didn't complete the NS course.

At the end of the day, I enjoyed my Altius course, and the score I received was certainly worth the money, and I think Altius is legit. However, I know plenty of peers that score just as high that self-study, so don't get disheartened if a prep course is not in the budget!

Members don't see this ad :)
I also did the Altius program. I did the onsite program and not the MCAT everywhere, but I think the results can be the same. I scored higher than I thought possible, honestly. If you stick to the program, you can get to that 90th percentile. There were students in my class who also took the program and didn't score so well, but they also didn't put nearly as much time as me into it. You get out what you put in. I'd check it out if you are interested.

Hey Pickle Rick. So I too did Altius On-Site, and it worked for me. You do have the option to meet with a tutor (which I loved) and the program I did gave you access to their practice full length exams (which were solid). With that being said, I felt like the program was lacking in CARS and in PS, and I do know some students who got lower than the 90th percentile. I'm not sure about Next Step, I've heard good things but I know one of my buddies was taking their practice tests and getting in the 510+ area in the first few weeks of studying, which he felt was too high. Are these two your only options? I've also heard good things about Kaplan and TPR, so I'm wondering if you've considered those too? I had another friend just get the Examkrackers study book and purchase the Altius practice tests, and he did super well too, so if you're driven, that's probably a cheaper option.