MCAT prepare you for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCAT3xpert

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I ordered a USMLE step 1 book and browsed through it. I realized that the MCAT tests almost everything in the USMLE step 1. I always hear how the MCAT is not representative of medical school; however, it seems that the MCAT is pretty much the same. The only difference, is that there are a few more diseases (which are covered in undergraduate biochem courses and even entry level genetics). But the concept mastery is pretty much the same. In fact, I would have been better prepared for the MCAT using the USMLE guide because all the little details are in one spot. Eg: rate lim enzymes, metabolism, imaging, embryogenesis, endocrine. Studying for the MCAT i had to locate all this information at several different sources. Anyway, I just read a lot about how med school is so much different. This seems to contradict the Step 1 topics! Thoughts?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What they're trying to get out of you in the MCAT is - can you understand the material being taught to you, and can you put yourself through the rigors of learning in. What they're teaching you in med school, is, now that you know what you know, can you apply it? I was a science major during undergrad, and after my first semester at dental school, all I can tell you is that the difference between undergrad and dental school is the detail-oriented nature of classes and examinations, followed by the sheer load you're put under. Other than dental-related material, and the overall focus of what we're learning being based on the mouth, nothing really new has been presented. In fact, the microbiology and biochem were more challenging in undergrad than it was in dental school.

Just my two cents.