MCAT Projection (Based on AAMC FL1, FL2, FL3, and Sample)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shammyguy3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I started studying for the MCAT in October (six months ago), because I work full-time. My test is April 21st (one week from today). I started taking the AAMC tests one month ago. Here's my trajectory:

March 18th FL1 with a breakdown of 126/125/127/123 = 501
March 25th FL2 with a breakdown of 125/127/127/124 = 503
March 31st FL 3 with a breakdown of 127/125/127/125 = 504

Today, I took the sample test and got percentile scores of
C/P = 40/59 = 68%
CARS = 40/53 = 75%
BIO = 49/59 = 83%
PSYCH = 45/59 = 76%

I've seen different sample test conversion docs that give me a range of 507-512.

So, considering the upward trend, and my goal of 505+, I should be sitting alright with one week left to go over high yield topics that I struggle with (particularly gen chem). Right?

Members don't see this ad.

There's a really useful google doc floating around reddit primarily but occasionally makes its way to sdn with ~1000 users each year and it has their 3rd party FL scores (Kaplan, next step etc..), their AAMC FL scores then their real deal scores. I would encourage you to look up the (I think its called) "list of user scores" and compare yourself. Theres definitely enough data on it to be beyond anecdotal.

So I started studying for the MCAT in October (six months ago), because I work full-time. My test is April 21st (one week from today). I started taking the AAMC tests one month ago. Here's my trajectory:

March 18th FL1 with a breakdown of 126/125/127/123 = 501
March 25th FL2 with a breakdown of 125/127/127/124 = 503
March 31st FL 3 with a breakdown of 127/125/127/125 = 504

Today, I took the sample test and got percentile scores of
C/P = 40/59 = 68%
CARS = 40/53 = 75%
BIO = 49/59 = 83%
PSYCH = 45/59 = 76%

I've seen different sample test conversion docs that give me a range of 507-512.

So, considering the upward trend, and my goal of 505+, I should be sitting alright with one week left to go over high yield topics that I struggle with (particularly gen chem). Right?

Did you end up taking the MCAT? How'd you do? I'm in a similar boat so was wondering how it turned out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Omg that is amazing, congrats! How did you manage an 8 point jump from FL3? Please share your secrets as to what strategies you used during test day :nod:

I think my sample test showed i was trending in that direction. Raw score questions correct were highest there than any FL test for CARSA, B/B (which has always been a strong point) and P/S.

I reviewed stuff i was poor at, really making sure i was able to convert from different units. Memorized a ton of physics equations, knowing which units correlated with which equation(s) and got a really good nights sleep

Omg I want to be you. What were your strategies? I'm working full-time, have a month left, and I've been studying 6-7 hours at night and doing practice tests on weekends. I just want a 509!

Ive posted a few in depth posts about it. My goal like i said was originally 505-506, but as i got better my goal became 510 and i walked out feeling like i nailed it!

I think my sample test showed i was trending in that direction. Raw score questions correct were highest there than any FL test for CARSA, B/B (which has always been a strong point) and P/S.

I reviewed stuff i was poor at, really making sure i was able to convert from different units. Memorized a ton of physics equations, knowing which units correlated with which equation(s) and got a really good nights sleep

Ive posted a few in depth posts about it. My goal like i said was originally 505-506, but as i got better my goal became 510 and i walked out feeling like i nailed it!
Wow, thanks! I went ahead and found your old posts on it. I'll let you know how I did. You give me hope!

Congrats on your 512!
I scored...
FL1 505 128/126/125/126 big distraction during bio
FL2 507 127/125/129/126
Sample 71/79/80/83

I came out of my 5/19 feeling grest as well and would cry if I see a 510.

June 30th! Currently studying 7 hours after work and on weekends as much as I can!

Awesome. Dont forget time to decompress and destress. I watched 3 seasons of Better Call Saul in the 4 weeks leading up to my test

Reactions: 1 user
There's a really useful google doc floating around reddit primarily but occasionally makes its way to sdn with ~1000 users each year and it has their 3rd party FL scores (Kaplan, next step etc..), their AAMC FL scores then their real deal scores. I would encourage you to look up the (I think its called) "list of user scores" and compare yourself. Theres definitely enough data on it to be beyond anecdotal.

any luck on finding this document? I tried searching but nothing came up

Ive looked over this extensively and most people out perform FL2 by 3-4 points sometimes 2-5. This is most likely reporting bias along with some improvement post FL2. I would cry tears if im 2-3 points above my FL2.

Reactions: 1 user