MCAT ques

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NMH2001

Ferret Momma
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I attempted to take the MCAT last April, but only got throught half of the test day and voided out my score. (Don't ask-long story). Now I will be taking it this april. Will med schools see the first attempt at the MCAT or does it not go down on the record because the scores were voided? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe once you have open up the seal of the test exam, it is counted as taking the exam. School may not know your scores since you voided it, but they do know that you actually sat in for the exam. And they would find it interesting as to why you voided the exam. Try to ace this years MCAT so that you can make them "forget" about the voided exam last year.

Ditto. I totally agree with Sm00th13. Don't go into the MCAT unless you're satisfied you did everything you could to succeed. Now, go study some strategy & kick that test's butt!

Members don't see this ad :)
They don't know you took it unless you completed it.

You can find out for sure on the mcat website or in the pamphlet. I agree with UCLA2000--I thought they would never know about it if you voided it.

I was told that if you sat in for the exam it(your attendance) will show up on your record....my advisor told me not to do this because it can make me appear like a chicken who couldn't handle the heat.I mean if you have a legitimate reason (like grand mal diarrhea-RUN, don't walk to the nearest toilet) then it's understandable.

Personally I wouldn't put myself through that. I would always wonder what my score would have been.... :confused:

When I took the April '02 exam I KNEW I bombed the verbal and wanted to walk out in the middle but something kept me glued to my seat....needless to say I did bomb that section but I did well in the other sections. :p

I am waiting for the day when they allow students to retake individual MCAT SECTIONS (Verbal, Pb,BS)instead of the whole blasted exam. :clap:

SmOOth13 is correct...

Test Center Regulations and Procedures
Ensuring the authenticity and validity of test scores is a primary concern of all testing programs. Providing uniform testing procedures and maintaining test security serves the interest of examinees and test score users. In order to provide fair, equal, and secure testing conditions for all examinees, the staff at each test center will follow common procedures. Examinees are required to comply with these regulations and procedures.

The supervisor will assign you to a seat. You will not be permitted to select your own seat. You must follow the directions and verbal instructions of the testing staff.

Access to the examination room will be restricted to test center personnel, examinees, and authorized observers.

Once the seal of the test book has been broken, you are considered to have tested even if you void and/or do not complete the test.

blah blah blah, this is from the website. Good luck!

Well, lamyers beat me to it. If you void the test then the score report to med schools from AAMC and AMCAS will say: April '01--TEST VOIDED. So to reiterate what was said above, just do your best on this one and be prepared to reasonably explain why you decided to void the test last time. Good luck to you! Ciao.

Of course they report that you sat for the exam! You're now at a pretty heavy advantage over those who have never seen an MCAT administration before.

Having gone through this myself, let me clarify something. Once you void the test it is considered that you have taken the test according to MCAT but it is not reported to AMCAS. So there is a distinction. In other words, MCAT knows you have taken the test so that when you take the test 3 or more times, they can request your intent to apply to medical school. However, for AMCAS purposes it is never reported.
Right from the MCAT booklet:

If you void your answer documents, your participation in this administration will not be reported to AMCAS or to non-AMCAS schools. However, even if you void, you are regarded as having attended the test for test administration purposes, and, therefore, you are not eligible for a refund. Also, if you wish to register after having attended three or more MCATs (whether you voided your scores or not), you must request and obtain permission each time you wish to retest."