MCAT question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

princessd3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
TPR physical science review book is a little sketchy on titrations. They just went over some concepts...not too much calculation. For those of you who took the MCAT on what level should I understand titration. What's important? Any heavy calculations?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Titration is a very important concept in chem. I remeber having a passage or two just on it. Just know the basics (endpoint, half-eq point, indicators). Definitely know what the basic curves for titrations look like when acid is a titrant vs. base. Know how to calculate the pH at eq pt., etc. Other than that you are not required to know any heavy Analytical Chem. calculations. Again, concepts are more important than calculations, though I am sure you'll see them as well. Good luck! I thought PR covered their titration stuff quite well; what's given in it is all you probably need to know.

Also know how titrations are affected by buffered systems.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think The berkeley review has an excellent review of titrations.

Originally posted by ashkan33

that it does. tbr stuff is ubergood. its too bad i never took a look at it ;)

By any chance would you happen to have the ISBN # for that Berkeley book? That may be helpful for me. :D

Originally posted by Bad Mojo
Also know how titrations are affected by buffered systems.

I actually was referring to titrations involving buffers. Don't think TPR covered titrations involving anything else.

Your TPR instructor should have gone over titrations. You need to know what the 1/2 equiv pt is, the equiv pt and what this means interms of pH and pKa. Its really not that difficult but you should make sure you understand the basics.

Know how henderson hasselbach equates to all of this and know buffers.

Originally posted by ashkan33

It is great. I never understood titrations very well until I looked through the Berkeley stuff.

You should know the shape of the following titration curves:

1. strong acid-strong base pH = 7 at equivalence point

2. weak acid-strong base pH > 7 at equivalence point

3. strong acid-weak base pH < 7 at equivalence point

also know why the equiv. point pH is what it is for each of these curves.