Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

MCAT question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by CareRx, May 2, 2002.

1. CareRx

CareRx Member

Hello all:
    I am a freshman and very new to the forum.
    Can anybody tell me if I need to take Biochem to get ready for MCAT? Anything else besides pre-med requirements (chemI,II, org chemI,II, bioI,II, physics, english)?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. GODO

GODO Junior Member

Biochem will help because it goes in depth into the mterial, but I found that most of the biochem stuff they asked on the MCAT were coverd in my O-chem and biology classes. I did find that an upper level physiology class helps alot, but thats my opinion.

good luck

4. drchris33

drchris33 MSIV

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree. Most of the stuff you see on the MCAT you will have obtained in your pre-rec courses. Howerver, I would recommend taking Biochem before marticulating to med school. Some of the schools require it anyway, so you might as well get a head start. I actually enjoyed biochem. Everything really comes together as in organic, biology and physiology.
    I will be a first year at UHS this fall; they require biochem and genetics. Genetics would also be beneficial before the MCAT; I took it in April 2001 and I had a lot of genetic-based questions on it.

If you have any further questions, feel free to email me!

Chris

5. DrMom

DrMom Official Mom of SDN
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Definitely take a physiology class. Most of the biology-related questions are physiology. Also, they are going to be adding some genetics questions so that would be a good class also.

Good luck!