MCAT question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CareRx

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all:
I am a freshman and very new to the forum.
Can anybody tell me if I need to take Biochem to get ready for MCAT? Anything else besides pre-med requirements (chemI,II, org chemI,II, bioI,II, physics, english)?

Members don't see this ad.

Biochem will help because it goes in depth into the mterial, but I found that most of the biochem stuff they asked on the MCAT were coverd in my O-chem and biology classes. I did find that an upper level physiology class helps alot, but thats my opinion.

good luck

I agree. Most of the stuff you see on the MCAT you will have obtained in your pre-rec courses. Howerver, I would recommend taking Biochem before marticulating to med school. Some of the schools require it anyway, so you might as well get a head start. I actually enjoyed biochem. Everything really comes together as in organic, biology and physiology.
I will be a first year at UHS this fall; they require biochem and genetics. Genetics would also be beneficial before the MCAT; I took it in April 2001 and I had a lot of genetic-based questions on it.

If you have any further questions, feel free to email me!

Chris

Definitely take a physiology class. Most of the biology-related questions are physiology. Also, they are going to be adding some genetics questions so that would be a good class also.

Good luck!