MCAT Question???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sng33

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received my scores and got a Verbal (9), Physical (10), and Biology (9) = 28 and a (P) on the writing. My GPA is a 3.7 at a respectable state school. I conducted an independent honors research project, and presented it in Brazil. I also am trained as a patient care technician and have volunteered in the ER. What do you guys think? Should I try to see if my GPA and extracurricular can compensate for the slightly low MCAT, or retake in August. The one good thing with the scores is that they are all over nine. Let me know what you think I should do, and what type of schools to apply to.

Members don't see this ad.

Probably the best way to start answering this question is to get a copy of the MSAR --you can either order one through the AAMC (I think), or your undergrad/premed advising office might have a copy that you can look at. That has the break-down of ave. GPA and MCAT scores for nearly all the schools in the US and Puerto Rico, and also gives information about how many out-of-state applicants are accepted, etc. I would suggest trying to find schools that have averages in line with your own stats, looking at your state schools, etc.

As for your score, was it in line with what you expected, or did you score much higher or lower? Before rushing to any decision, I think you need to realistically assess your MCAT expectations, why you may have done not as well as you hoped, and how you think you could do better a second time around. Good luck.

The only problem is that the MSAR simply shows averages for each school and it does not show the standard deviation. Most schools accept students within a range around the average based on the other credentials. I am not sure if mine are good enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you guys think of my chances/ possible schools?

I think probably better than getting the opinions of posters around here, you would be better served by talking to your advisor if you have one -- they can give you a better indication of how students from your school with perhaps similar numbers have done.

As for the overall competitiveness of your application, obviously you would be more competitive with a 30+. If you realistically think you can get that score, I think it would be worthwhile to retake the MCAT. However, there are definitely lots of applicants who get in with your numbers. There are also lots who don't -- as you can tell, it's sort of a crapshoot. If you do apply this year, I would definitely apply to a wide range of schools -- what state are you from? Your state school is usually a good place to start, although some systems (CA and TX come to mind) are extremely competitive. Tulane, NYMC, SLU, Med. College of Wisconsin are some med schools that instantly come to mind -- your GPA might be a little lower than their ave., but I think your GPA might be a little higher, so it could balance out. Even though the MSAR doesn't give standard deviations, the averages are still a good place to start. It probably isn't worth it to only apply to schools that have ave. scores between 11 and 12. However, those that are in the 10's you might have a better shot at. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice lillycat.