MCAT question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golfandmedicine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I have been committed to pod school for over a year. I really like the field and its possibilities. I have a good enough GPA right now (3.3 sGPA and overall), my dilemma however is: I was a college athlete down in florida and decided to pursue medicine so I moved back to a state university near home. Do to my major change all my pre-reqs have been pushed back and I am just now taking physics this summer. I finish physics 2 august 3rd and am scheduled for my MCAT august 17th. I am averaging 10's on verbal however I am likely only going to have 14 solid days to prep for my mcat now. I have been reviewing whatever material I can all summer but most of my time is spent learning physics. Do you all think i am rushing my mcat too much?

I plan on starting the aamc practice test this weekend and then doing one every saturday and reviewing it on sundays until my classes are over and then studying TBR and Exam Crackers until my test and taking practice tests every other or every third day.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know your strengths or weaknesses, but it you say you have a solid 14 days to study for it and you truly do, and you've already started reviewing books like EK etc. I think you'll do fine, having physics fresh in your head will definitely help!

thanks, for the reply. I was originally aiming for a 30+ for scholarship purposes but physics is taking up more time than I planned. I am a biomedical science major and chem is my strong suit i'd say along with anatomy & physio

Members don't see this ad :)
i would take your time and aim for scholarship.

a 10g/year times 4 years is 40g's. totally worth studying longer, if you think you can score around 9-10s in each section.

i would take your time and aim for scholarship.

a 10g/year times 4 years is 40g's. totally worth studying longer, if you think you can score around 9-10s in each section.

Don't lead him astray. You have to qualify for scholarships after your first year. The only school I know that offers full 4 years is Barry (from flyhi)

Don't lead him astray. You have to qualify for scholarships after your first year. The only school I know that offers full 4 years is Barry (from flyhi)
OCPM also offers scholarships for the 4 years.

Not necessarily. It is possible to get scholarships after your first year but i was not talking about that. Also, No school that i know of offers scholarships without restrictions. There are other schools that offer scholarships aside from Barry with minimum GPA requirements to keep it for 4 years. I've been fortunate to have a nice scholarship from my school and it has made my financial expenses a lot less hectic. It's saving me well over 30k for 4 years not including the interest that i would have paid on it had i taken that extra amount of loans.

I got in with above avg MCAT but i took it again just because i knew i could break close to 30 and get some money. So i sacrificed another month and it was definitely worth it for me.

An interesting side note: most of the schools set pretty high GPA requirements for their scholarships. Its not a cakewalk to keep it. Some schools like Barry use scholarship money to recruit good talent but their GPA requirement is quite high (two of my friends have to keep around a 3.75 to keep a 5k renewable scholarship there) and their curriculum is pretty rough from what I hear.

Last edited:
That's fine... I was only trying to clarify that (to my knowledge) most schools don't offer you 4 year scholarships straight up. Realistically your MCAT score if boosted will help your first year only. After that it's based on your performance in school.

They all have pretty high expectations. OCPM offers half tuition to 4.0 students (and based on what's left, the rest of the money is distributed). DMU I think you need top 25% of the class to continue renewing the 4k scholarship?

thanks for the input, I would plan more time but i will be starting up school at the end of august and i have a heavy course load this coming semester. Not to say I wont consider a retake if I need it, I just plan on taking it when scheduled in case I end up not having time to prep for the mcat during the school year.

Typically how high should you aim on the MCAT to earn a scholarship?

Not necessarily. It is possible to get scholarships after your first year but i was not talking about that. Also, No school that i know of offers scholarships without restrictions. There are other schools that offer scholarships aside from Barry with minimum GPA requirements to keep it for 4 years. I've been fortunate to have a nice scholarship from my school and it has made my financial expenses a lot less hectic. It's saving me well over 30k for 4 years not including the interest that i would have paid on it had i taken that extra amount of loans.

I got in with above avg MCAT but i took it again just because i knew i could break close to 30 and get some money. So i sacrificed another month and it was definitely worth it for me.

An interesting side note: most of the schools set pretty high GPA requirements for their scholarships. Its not a cakewalk to keep it. Some schools like Barry use scholarship money to recruit good talent but their GPA requirement is quite high (two of my friends have to keep around a 3.75 to keep a 5k renewable scholarship there) and their curriculum is pretty rough from what I hear.

Quick q: did you get at least 10k more after your new MCAT? If not, I'd argue it probably wasn't worth it.