MCAT Retake...Again

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bobkar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of taking the MCAT for the third time since I haven't been successful so far. Is it possible to retake the MCAT and use it as an update say in May and possibly have a chance at getting accepted this year? Has anyone done that or heard of someone doing that and getting accepted? I would love to try and get whatever I can to get accepted this year otherwise I'll wait a bit longer and use it for the next cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm thinking of taking the MCAT for the third time since I haven't been successful so far. Is it possible to retake the MCAT and use it as an update say in May and possibly have a chance at getting accepted this year? Has anyone done that or heard of someone doing that and getting accepted? I would love to try and get whatever I can to get accepted this year otherwise I'll wait a bit longer and use it for the next cycle.
what is your MCAT and GPA currently?

May is way too late for this cycle unless you're really lucky. The cut off is almost always January at latest.

By really lucky I mean its the day before class starts and somehow one seat is left unfilled and you happen to come across the director of admissions with a resume in hand. I've only heard of one person doing that and its almost an urban legend.

Anyway I know this isn't the answer you're looking for but I do hope you're successful!

Members don't see this ad :)
if you retook the mcat already and scored near what you had before, I would call it quits on the retake line. Data shows that retakes (mine included) do not rise much; a point on two. It is possible to put up an amazing increase but that might be after you take some time off and go at it after some years postbac or other. (dont let the mcat score get to your head...)

Dude-no. If you have been unsuccessful, it's not the test-it's you. This is harsh, but we are helping you. A third low score could hurt you worse and does not speak of the proper composure of a physician.

Take a breather-relax-make a new strategy. Now you can reassess and come back stronger, and you have a reasonable amount of time to succeed. Take a prep course, slow down and focus-take the mcat in the summer and reapply. This will be your best shot-if you bomb a third time, not only will you destroy any chance this year, you put yourself at a very bad start for 2015 applications.

If you score in the high 30s, then yes, it's likley you might get pulled off a wait list. But to score an interview at that point? Highly unliklely.

But, try and avoid magic thinking for a higher score until you fix your deficits that caused you to score low int he first place.

The first time I didnt do well because I didnt study well for it. The second time I had a major improvement in two sections (7 points overall) but for some reason scored low on the third section. I know I can do better in that section if I retake it. I scored a 26 mcat on my retake and gpa is 3.7+ for science and cumulative.

The first time I didnt do well because I didnt study well for it. The second time I had a major improvement in two sections (7 points overall) but for some reason scored low on the third section. I know I can do better in that section if I retake it. I scored a 26 mcat on my retake and gpa is 3.7+ for science and cumulative.

I am pretty sure that if you have already submitted your primary applications, the last MCAT they take is the January one. At least this was the case for most schools I applied to. I would say re-take it and then apply (primary) early early the coming round and hope for an acceptance next round. This is not to say you shouldn't retake your MCAT. Even a 2 point improvement would make you a great candidate (barring you have decent ECs and LORs). To be sure I would call the schools you applied to and ask if you can submit your MCAT updates in May. I think the only way this is possible is if you are post-interview waitlisted. Seems like you should have gotten interviews somewhere with those stats....

If you score in the high 30s, then yes, it's likley you might get pulled off a wait list. But to score an interview at that point? Highly unliklely.

But, try and avoid magic thinking for a higher score until you fix your deficits that caused you to score low int he first place.

+1.

Your numbers are more than good enough for acceptance. How many schools have you applied to?

Matriculant average is 3.5/3.4/27. With your numbers you should be getting interviews out the wazoo.

Your numbers are more than good enough for acceptance. How many schools have you applied to?

Matriculant average is 3.5/3.4/27. With your numbers you should be getting interviews out the wazoo.

But I have a low score on a section (a 6) which is what I think is keeping me back

ATSU, AZCOM, CCOM, DMU, PCOM, LECOM-Brandenton, Nova, NYIT, PCOM, TOUROs, WESTERN

how many ii's have you received? and by ATSU do you mean SOMA?

ATSU, AZCOM, CCOM, DMU, PCOM, LECOM-Brandenton, Nova, NYIT, PCOM, TOUROs, WESTERN
Your list is top heavy bro. This is your problem... Most of the schools on your list have 28+ average MCAT score. It has been said on SDN that a couple of schools in that list are 'obsessed' about high MCAT score.

how many ii's have you received? and by ATSU do you mean SOMA?

I wouldn't be surprised if he means KCOM.

You need to either raise your MCAT score to 28+ or add schools that have lower MCAT averages.

Your list is top heavy bro. This is your problem... Most of the schools on your list have 28+ average MCAT score. It has been said on SDN that a couple of schools in that list are 'obsessed' about high MCAT score.
their list is a little top heavy but also contains several schools notorious for keeping poor contact with applicants.

But I have a low score on a section (a 6) which is what I think is keeping me back
If it not the BS section, it is not an issue IMO.
their list is a little top heavy but also contains several schools notorious for keeping poor contact with applicants.
Maybe that is also the case. Also, many applicants apply to schools that they might not be competitive at... I think this is one thing that many on SDN have failed to take into account when judging applicants' chances. This applicant clearly should be sitting on 2+ acceptances if he/she did his/her homework by applying to school that he/she might be competitive at. I firmly think an applicant with 3.2 c/sGPA and 25 MCAT with average ECs will have a good shot getting into DO school if that applicant does his/her homework.

Reactions: 1 user
If it not the BS section, it is not an issue IMO.

Maybe that is also the case. Also, many applicants apply to schools that they might not be competitive at... I think this is one thing that many on SDN have failed to take into account when judging applicants' chances. This applicant clearly should be sitting on 2+ acceptances if he/she did his/her homework by applying to school that he/she might be competitive at. I firmly think an applicant with 3.2 c/sGPA and 25 MCAT with average ECs will have a good shot getting into DO school if that applicant does his/her homework.
I concur. But at the same time, if they have applied to 13 schools with 3.7+/26 and have not been accepted, this does suggest that competition is tightening up compared to the past.

But, there are still plenty of newer schools that they would have quite easily been accepted to by now. (The same schools where 3.2/3.2/25 would probably get in).