MCAT retake drop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chococat98

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm seeking some advice in regards to my MCAT retake score decrease.

Last year, I took the exam and scored a 508 (129/124/128/127). I retook it this year in hopes of increasing my CARS score. Although I was scoring 125+ in CARS and 510+ overall on full-lengths and felt confident about the test overall, I ended up with a 504 (127/122/126/129) this year.

I was definitely not in the right emotional or mental state during the last few weeks leading up to my exam. It was poor judgment on my part, as I should've pushed back my test date. I didn't void because I felt confident about this test.

Do I still have a shot this year in applying to MD and DO? Or would I have to retake it and score even higher for a chance? All advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

DO is in range not MD

Reactions: 1 user
Only take again if you can consistently score 515+ on practice exams under test like conditions

Members don't see this ad :)
Although there is a tendency toward higher scores, a surprisingly large number of re-testers get a lower score.
When first-attempt scores range from 472 to 517, those who improved only bumped up a few points.

Depending on your state of residence, MD is going to be difficult without some compelling strength in the rest of your application.

Reactions: 1 users
I would not retake in your situation. If you do worse again you are severely hurting your chances. I think if you apply broad DO and some MD you may still get interviews with what you have. That’s given the rest of your app is adequate.