MCAT Retake, Reapplicant Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skigirl97

Reaction score
I retook my MCAT after applying this cycle with an MCAT score of 507 (125/126/125/130). This past cycle I got 2 Il and 2 waitlists that turned into rejections and ideally wanted to reapply to MD programs again this cycle. However, my MCAT retake score was a 508 (125/124/129/130).

From my previous application-
Science GPA: 3.86
Cumulative: 3.94

Patient Care Technician- 1,300 hours +1,900 projected hours
Clinical Research Assistant- 840 hours
Medical Oncology Research Assistant- 400 hours
Shadowing- 75 hours
Vital Signs intake volunteer- 30 hours
Child Life Volunteer- 150 hours
Adaptive horse back riding volunteer- 60 hours
Honors/Awards- Dean's List, Graduated Summa Cum Laude, Neuroscience Honors Society
Sorority Leadership Position- 150 hours
Club Facilitator (Leadership role)- 60 hours

School List MD:
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rosland Franklin
Rowan
Drexel
Emory
Quinnipiac
Gesiel Dartmouth
Geisinger
GW
Georgetown
Hackensack
Temple
Loyola
MCW
NYMC
Penn State
UVM
Rush
Saint Louis
Sidney Kimmel
Warren Alpert
Tufts
U OF A (both)
U of Coloradon
Uconn
Miami
U of U (my state school)
U of wisconsin

*I got interviews at Utah and Geisinger

In terms of reapplying, I reworked my essays (made sure any and all spelling mistakes were fixed), got an additional letter of recommendation from my Nursing Director, and plan on continuing my job as PCT and volunteer during my gap year.

With all of this in mind, any advice on whether I could reapply to MD schools/my chances would be appreciated. I was really upset on not significantly improving my MCAT score on this retake and: I got advice from a professional advisor saying with my MCAT retake and chem score not increasing it would be a ding to my application and make it very difficult for MD admissions. So, I am feeling very stuck.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have a 80% chance for a MD acceptance with your stats. If you need to reapply you should include DO schools. From your past cycle include these schools:
Albany
Drexel
Quinnipiac
Geisinger
GW
Georgetown
Hackensack
Temple
Loyola
MCW
NYMC
Penn State
UVM
Rush
Saint Louis
Sidney Kimmel
U of U (my state school)
Add these schools:
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Apply to at least 10 DO schools and consider these:
AZCOM
TUNCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
Touro-NY
PCOM
ACOM
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
UNECOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you afford the non resident tuition at MSUCOM ? Or the tuition at CCOM ? Rowan prefers NJ residents. RVUCOM is a for profit school. @Goro your opinion of those 4.

Can you afford the non resident tuition at MSUCOM ? Or the tuition at CCOM ? Rowan prefers NJ residents. RVUCOM is a for profit school. @Goro your opinion of those 4.
MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide

CCOM? Watch the tuition!

Rowan is as Faha comments.

RVU?
I find for profit schools to be distasteful to medical education, but this is outright disgusting behavior:

OP, What was your hook for U UT and Geisinger?

You had a number of donation on your list.

Start working on interview skills. You will need more DO schools on your list

@Goro Thank you for this insight.

For Utah and Geisinger, I was waitlisted at both and then subsequently rejected. I thought it was due to my MCAT score but thinking it was also my interview skills and essays that needed more improvement.

How many DO/MD schools do you recommend I apply to?

@Goro Thank you for this insight.

For Utah and Geisinger, I was waitlisted at both and then subsequently rejected. I thought it was due to my MCAT score but thinking it was also my interview skills and essays that needed more improvement.

How many DO/MD schools do you recommend I apply to?
25-35