MCAT Score: 45T?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HelpingHand

Where's my white coat?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm here studying and wondering...has anyone ever gotten a 45T, or at least a 45 numerical score? Or will I be the first...haha not!

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm here studying and wondering...has anyone ever gotten a 45T, or at least a 45 numerical score? Or will I be the first...haha not!

I don't know if is just MCAT lore but, I have always been told that 45 has never been done before.

I don't know if is just MCAT lore but, I have always been told that 45 has never been done before.

I believe the highest has been a 43. Now I'm not sure if its 43T or 43S that has been the highest but there are two MCAT mods who have had a 43.

According to Ellen Julian, who is the director of the MCAT for the AAMC, a few people *have* scored a 45. I don't know how long ago that was, though. If it was before 2003, the test was scored differently at that time. I don't know if anyone who took the test in 2003 or later has scored above a 43.

In any case, study hard and do the best you can. You don't need a 40+ MCAT score to get into med school; the average for allopathic med students is about a 30. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
According to Ellen Julian, who is the director of the MCAT for the AAMC, a few people *have* scored a 45. I don't know how long ago that was, though. If it was before 2003, the test was scored differently at that time. I don't know if anyone who took the test in 2003 or later has scored above a 43.

In any case, study hard and do the best you can. You don't need a 40+ MCAT score to get into med school; the average for allopathic med students is about a 30. :)

But the bragging rights.....;) :D

Word on the street is that QofQuimica was the first person to ever score a 16 in the physical sciences section.

Word on the street is that QofQuimica was the first person to ever score a 16 in the physical sciences section.

Nah, Chuck Norris got an 18 in ALL the sections. :laugh:

I can only imagine getting a 45...dang. Talk about being immortalized forever for kicking amazing butt.

As I stated in the other MCAT discussion thread, mine was 42S, never got any higher.

But the bragging rights.....;) :D
You seriously don't want to go there. The main people who are impressed are pre-meds and my parents. No one else really cares. And even my parents, who are utterly shameless when it comes to telling people about how wonderful I am, had to stop telling people. It's a total conversation-stopper.
Playmakur42 said:
Don't believe everything you hear. ;)

My girlfriends brother got a 43 back in the mid 90's (14,14,15). That is the highest i have ever heard from anyone.

Some people are so smart...so smart...so smart...

It would be encouraging to know that there are at least some 40+ scorers who aren't very bright but put in the time and do well. :oops:

Some people are so smart...so smart...so smart...

It would be encouraging to know that there are at least some 40+ scorers who aren't very bright but put in the time and do well. :oops:
Interesting sentiment, especially coming from someone who is almost certainly well above the population average in intelligence. (The average college student is more intelligent than the average person in the population at large.) If you mean that you'd like to know that people who score 40+ aren't super geniuses, actually, most of us probably aren't. I suspect that most of the highest achieving people tend to be those who are brighter than average but not so bright that everything comes easily for them. In other words, hard work *is* important for achieving a super high MCAT score. Even those who claim that they didn't study for the test have no doubt spent several years studying and reading on their own, and I suspect in many cases they are underestimating how much time they spent preparing. :)

I would add that it's best to focus on improving your own abilities rather than spending a lot of time looking at what other people are doing. You'll improve your score more that way. And I promise you that once you are accepted to medical school, no one will ever care about your MCAT score again. :)

I agree completely. When I went back for my post-bacc classes, I went in knowing I had something to prove in a way (if only to myself). I was a liberal arts major coming from a completely unrelated career path. I knew if I was going to prove myself worthy ( :rolleyes: ) I had to completely conquer my pre-recs and my MCAT. So before I even started classes in the fall I started reviewing the prerecs I had already taken and didn't plan to retake. Then I took my prerecs and completely devoured the information because I knew I'd see it again - treated all my prerecs like a massive prep course for the MCAT. So in the 30+ threads and other threads I'll say I studied 5 months for the MCAT but in reality, using Q's criteria, it was probably closer to a year.

Yeah typing that out made me realize how insane it sounds :oops:

Every time I hear about these high scores, I always hear a "but".

Yeah he scored a 40 but

Yeah she scored a 42 but

I'm a very small sample, and these were some common things that usually ended those sentences

- couldn't tie his own shoes
- had a 2.0 GPA in college
- had a criminal record

Like I said, this in no way is reflective of people who score that high. It just happens I probably live in some strange corner of the universe. :)

You seriously don't want to go there. The main people who are impressed are pre-meds and my parents. No one else really cares. And even my parents, who are utterly shameless when it comes to telling people about how wonderful I am, had to stop telling people. It's a total conversation-stopper.

People are impressed with it at my med school. So was my mother when she found out some of her friends' kids high MCAT scores. It depends on who you're talking to. It's like the SATs, people don't care if you did good or bad once you're IN, but it's still impressive enough that if people hear of it, they do think you're smart or something. People get annoyed when you rub it in their faces, but that doesn't mean that they will think nothing of it if they found out.

Interesting sentiment, especially coming from someone who is almost certainly well above the population average in intelligence. (The average college student is more intelligent than the average person in the population at large.) If you mean that you'd like to know that people who score 40+ aren't super geniuses, actually, most of us probably aren't. I suspect that most of the highest achieving people tend to be those who are brighter than average but not so bright that everything comes easily for them. In other words, hard work *is* important for achieving a super high MCAT score. Even those who claim that they didn't study for the test have no doubt spent several years studying and reading on their own, and I suspect in many cases they are underestimating how much time they spent preparing. :)

I would add that it's best to focus on improving your own abilities rather than spending a lot of time looking at what other people are doing. You'll improve your score more that way. And I promise you that once you are accepted to medical school, no one will ever care about your MCAT score again. :)

Good post!!! If these people were super geniuses that had gotten 40+ scores like you and the rest of the SDN folk, I think you guys would have gone in cold and gotten those scores.

The majority of the students who get those scores still need to do some degree of studying for the test. It might just mean that they are better test takers then the standard person to a certain degree. Or maybe they have a certain degree of knowledge that is higher then the average student from a PhD or Masters degree. Or they studied like 6 months in some cases. Or in other cases, engineers tend to do very high and can pull this off because of the nature of the way their major teaches them to conceptualize and think in terms of logic. These are just a few sampling of reasons. There could be a host of others.

The only person I know to date who went in that test cold and got a 41 was Shrike. But even he's had courses in logic and what not from being in law school for a few years before things happened in his life.

My point is that these people aren't geniuses but they are very intelligent. The only true genius I knew was someone who with minimal college got a 15 on the VR with 45 minutes to spare out of 85 that were given at the time.

This guy was the kind of guy who had read about anything and everything and knew a lot about almost every subject you could think of. But he like a lot of true super geniuses had the bad habit of not being able to focus because what he wanted to do was something more expressive like music or writing.

People are impressed with it at my med school. So was my mother when she found out some of her friends' kids high MCAT scores. It depends on who you're talking to. It's like the SATs, people don't care if you did good or bad once you're IN, but it's still impressive enough that if people hear of it, they do think you're smart or something. People get annoyed when you rub it in their faces, but that doesn't mean that they will think nothing of it if they found out.

I think it depends on who we are talking about. Some people will be really impressed, but some people just don't care.

Every time I hear about these high scores, I always hear a "but".

Yeah he scored a 40 but

Yeah she scored a 42 but

I'm a very small sample, and these were some common things that usually ended those sentences

- couldn't tie his own shoes
- had a 2.0 GPA in college
- had a criminal record

Like I said, this in no way is reflective of people who score that high. It just happens I probably live in some strange corner of the universe. :)
:laugh: Well, for the record, I CAN tie my own shoes, I had no GPA at all in college b/c my school is totally P/F, and I have no criminal record. Go figure. :p

NonTradMed said:
You know, NTM, you're talking about an awfully select group of people here. Most people have very little conception of what these academic numbers and letter even mean. One person who heard that I have a PhD wanted to know what kind of job I will be able to get with a philosophy degree. And I've had a few people ask me what questions I got wrong that made me miss those two points on the MCAT. Which just goes to show you that in the whole scheme of things, impressing med students is a lot easier than impressing regular people. ;)

:laugh: :laugh:

I think Q has a point. I think premeds look highly upon those who do so high because they see that those kind of scores are likely to give you a shot at a lot of top tier schools if you have the GPA to match it and extracurriculars. And because a lot of premeds struggle to get even a 30 or don't struggle toget 30 but could probably never get 40, they see it in a different light.

its like that with anything in life i suppose.

I can tell you that there have been a number of times when non premed people asked me what a certain score meant like they didn't understand that a 35 was considered 95th percentile or how things worked with the whole med school app process. So I'd say Q probably has a great point at hand.

In my community its only the people in medicine or desi people who are really impressed because their own kids are also going into medicine and/or they themselves are in medicine. Ok with that said I'm out for the night.