MCAT score decrease!!! (31 to 30), 3.61 cGPA, 3.74 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superq460

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I am looking for some feedback on what I should do. I have already started applying this cycle, and I was planning on adding more schools upon getting my MCAT scores.

Well I got them back today and got a 30...10/10/10 for PS/VR/BS. Last summer I got a 31 (14/8/9). I retook the exam because I was averaging 33-34 on AAMC exams, and I really underperformed on BS. So I studied again this summer, admittedly focusing more on improving VR and ended up getting that 10/10/10...Really have no idea where the 10 in PS came from because I never got lower than a 12 on the AAMC practices (honestly thinking about a re-score, although I am skeptical that it will change anything).

I have a cGPA of 3.61, sGPA of 3.73...I went to a top 25 undergraduate institution. Biochemistry major, math minor.

Extra-curricular wise, I have 1000+ of hours working as an EMT from high school to sophomore year in college. I have done research at Columbia for two summers and done some on-campus research but no honors thesis (change my major to biochemistry middle of my junior year and these invitations were closed by then). I volunteered as a peer-advisor on campus, tutored college and high school students, was fairly involved in club sports, and am currently doing a research fellowship at the NIH for my gap year. Shortcomings of my EC's are no shadowing, and no leadership. I have relatives who are doctors though so I know what it's like.

Personal statement is very good according to my school's pre-med committee and recs are fairly strong. English professor I took two classes with who enthusiastically wrote one for me. Lab professor who I took several classes with although nothing else besides that (probably weakest). Biochem professor who was my advisor and supervised some of the part-time research I did in his lab. I would often just talk to him during his office hours about life, science, etc....got along with him well. And the PI of the lab I worked in at Columbia over the summers (very very very well known and famous in his field).

So yea, my main concern is the MCAT score decrease. My composite looks good but only a handful of schools look at that. It's a small decrease but does it really matter considering my improvements in two subsections?

I am applying to some lower tier med schools already. NJ resident, so NJMS, RWJ, Philly schools and schools in New York. I will probably apply to Columbia and my undergrad school as big big reaches. Do I have a chance getting in anywhere? especially with that MCAT?

Sorry for the long post y'all. Thanks for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have some feedback???

This is my school list so far. I am verified and completed by AMCAS.

Georgetown (undergrad/reach)
University of Maryland (reach)
NJMS (secondary done)
RWJ (working on secondary)
Drexel (secondary done)
Temple (secondary done)
Jefferson (secondary done)
NYMC (secondary done)
Rush
VCU

Schools I am thinking about adding (need help narrowing this list, unless you feel otherwise :scared: :

Albany
Cooper Rowan
Columbia
Medical College Wisconsin
Commonwealth
GWU
BU
Hofstra
Loyola
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Wake Forest

I would like to know any additional suggestions!

Your MCAT performance shows that you have plateaued out, so any more re-takes would not be worthwhile. I don't see it as being lethal.

You're fine for all low-tier MD schools and your NJ schools. No shadowing might hurt you; you should show you know what a doctor's day is like. If you have no luck with any MD school, you're going to need some MD or DO LORs for DO programs. Oh, Columbia will appreciate your donation in the form of the app fee. Save your money.

I am applying to some lower tier med schools already. NJ resident, so NJMS, RWJ, Philly schools and schools in New York. I will probably apply to Columbia and my undergrad school as big big reaches. Do I have a chance getting in anywhere? especially with that MCAT?

Sorry for the long post y'all. Thanks for reading.[/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright thanks for the feedback Goro, Yea after looking at MSAR I probably have no chance on Columbia. Right now I'm kind of just crossing my fingers and hoping to get into one of the state schools or GWU since they take a composite score...does anyone know other schools that do this?

Luckily, both of your scores are acceptable to many schools. You have them on your list. Good luck on interviews.

Cut GW, BU, Tufts and of course Columbia if you must.

Thanks gyngyn. Yea I agree with cutting BU and Tufts.

Is there any particular reason I should cut GWU?...MSAR says their MCAT median is 30...and they also take the highest score from each section making me a 34...I think I should at least try, but if you know something about GWU that doesn't quite fit my app then I would like to know!