MCAT Score Improvement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hugh2012

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What did you guys score on your first MCAT pretest and what score did you end up achieving? Advice would be great too!

Members don't see this ad.

495 on NS diagnostic, 514 on real thing 3 months later. Big thing for me was to not panic, and I realized a lot of people score low when they start. Also realized the scoring of FL's from the prep companies are really deflated. I personally don't think they're a very reliable predictor for your performance on the real thing. The AAMC material is much more accurate.

497 on Kaplan diagnostic, 518 on the real thing. Test prep company tests were reallyyyy hard compared to the real thing but were great to hammer down the knowledge. Only gauge your progress using AAMC material.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was informed yesterday by my junior brother his score on the MCAT was low. He wrote the MCAT twice because he wanted to improve his score from 17 but only received a 20.

Against the wishes of some family members I can't fantom him putting all that effort to switch careers to nursing.
mad.gif
He is young only 24 and discouraged about the increase of merely 3 points on his MCAT score. So it's difficult to talk to him at this moment, but I hope you would help arm me up to talk some sense into him.

My question presently are:-
  1. What is the lowest MCAT score one needs in order to enter into medical school?
  2. Which American medical schools would consider him? With a GPA of 3.3 at college plus good grades in the sciences.
  3. What about medical schools in the island? Which would give him a chance?

http://goo.gl/MwMbbU | http://goo.gl/n4mThN

I'm only another undergrad so take my advice for what its worth, but currently his chances are pretty much zero for MD in the US. The MCAT score cutoffs vary between schools, but I'm guessing he's below all of them. There might be schools that don't autoscreen, I don't know , but unless he's got some CRAZY AWESOME Ec's or life story, he doesn't stand a chance there either.

He might be able to get an acceptance in the carribean, I don't know, but make sure he does his research before applying there. Look around SDN and you'll see all the flame wars debating Carribean MD schools. Pretty much all credible sources on SDN mutually agree Carribean is a horrible idea though.

If you make this post in the "What are my chances?" area in the pre-allo forums you'll get more responses from much better sources than me.

I took the AAMC Scored Practice about two weeks before my test date and got a 518. I got a 517 on the actual exam, so it was pretty spot on, despite some frantic studying between the practice test and the actual thing.

This was a decent improvement over my other official score though:
  • April '14 (vintage): 32 = 88th percentile
  • April '16 (MCAT 2015): 517 = 96th percentile

Last edited: