Mcat Score Of 14???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to get into any carrib school with an mcat of 14? Its not for me, but for a friend of mine.

I know some carribean schools don't even require mcats. A friend of mine at ROSS (who is now a 3rd year, so this may have changed) said that even though ROSS requires MCAT, it doesn't play much in the admissions process. Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that a 14 is probably not good enough for Ross or St. George. I am not a expert but I am starting to realize the schools that don't take the MCAT and is a carribean school arent worth going to. Your friend might need to retake the mcat again.

NRAI2001 said:
Is it possible to get into any carrib school with an mcat of 14? Its not for me, but for a friend of mine.

I know some carribean schools don't even require mcats. A friend of mine at ROSS (who is now a 3rd year, so this may have changed) said that even though ROSS requires MCAT, it doesn't play much in the admissions process. Is this true?

You friend got 14? its okay i got 15! what is your friends GPA.. and does he have or is he loaded with any of research/volunteering/shawdoing experience?...

i am in the same boat as yoru friend??
What are our chance of getting into a decent Medical school with 3.0/MCAT 14/15??? with **** load of research/voulnterring and shawdoing experience..

Please help US!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
dazedguju said:
You friend got 14? its okay i got 15! what is your friends GPA.. and does he have or is he loaded with any of research/volunteering/shawdoing experience?...

i am in the same boat as yoru friend??
What are our chance of getting into a decent Medical school with 3.0/MCAT 14/15??? with **** load of research/voulnterring and shawdoing experience..

Please help US!!!

My friend has a 3.1 - 3.2ish gpa (don't know for sure, buts its around that) and has a bit of volunteering, and a bit of research. I recommend for her to retake the mcat but she was very against it.

I personally would try to get my mcat up into the 20s and apply to DO schools.

The top 3 med school in the carribbean are getting very competitive. One of my friend that is in the Ross University MERP program for students that didnt gain acceptance due to low stats. The MERP program is to prove that you can do the course work with taking medical school classes. His stats was a 3.0 with a 21 on the MCAT. The average GPA and MCAT is increasing for Ross. If your friend isnt going to retake the MCAT again then she is not going to get into any DO OR MD schools.
Medical school wants a good reason to reduce the applications and with a 15 and 3.0 she will not make the cut, probably a 3.0 and a 28 on the mcat or maybe a 3.0 and a 25 :confused:

Seriously, look at the percentile scores.
You are in the bottom 10% of test takers. Also the top 3 are getting more competitive as the schools in the states are getting more competitive.

BrettBatchelor said:
You are in the bottom 10% of test takers. Also the top 3 are getting more competitive as the schools in the states are getting more competitive.

Well not me, I ve been scoring mid 30s (practice exams), 3.4 GPA, neurosurgery research at UCSF and public health research at CAL. This is for a friend of mine.

BrettBatchelor said:

Well not me, I ve been scoring mid 30s (practice exams), 3.4 GPA, neurosurgery research at UCSF and public health research at CAL. This is for a friend of mine.

you should tell your friend that they will have to be taking standardized exams for the rest of their career and if their score is that low they have some serious work to do. One might be able to find a school to sponsor them but if they cant pass usmle or speciality boards due to poor test taking skills they will be in big trouble and have some serious debt to pay off with no job

DasN said:
you should tell your friend that they will have to be taking standardized exams for the rest of their career and if their score is that low they have some serious work to do. One might be able to find a school to sponsor them but if they cant pass usmle or speciality boards due to poor test taking skills they will be in big trouble and have some serious debt to pay off with no job

Yes true, this person probably could have done better, but they are just not willing to take the mcat over. I can't convince them otherwise.

I heard saba doesn't require mcat scores?

What is the point of wanting to be a doctor when some of your competitors made higher scores on one section. There are people on this board who beat a 14 on one single section!!

You really should want to at least have a comparable ability to take this test before going to school. Have some pride...

If your friend got a 14 and is not willing to retake the MCAT, let alone come to SDN him/herself and fish for advice, then perhaps medicine may not be an appropiate career path. I'm anything but a snob, but under normal circumstances, a 14 is laughable and I wouldn't even consider applying. Some people (myself very much included)are bright, but aren't very good at standardized exams, and a 26-29 may be the best we could realistically accomplish.

My MCAT experience wasn't a walk in the park either. I ran in to a wicked tension headache following the PS portion, and spent my lunch break driving around for a fast food joint that didn't have a 30 minute line. had I scored a 14, you better believe I would have taken it again. Just think of how it looks to ADCOMs to take the MCATs once and only rock a 14.

mark v said:
If your friend got a 14 and is not willing to retake the MCAT, let alone come to SDN him/herself and fish for advice, then perhaps medicine may not be an appropiate career path. I'm anything but a snob, but under normal circumstances, a 14 is laughable and I wouldn't even consider applying. Some people (myself very much included)are bright, but aren't very good at standardized exams, and a 26-29 may be the best we could realistically accomplish.

My MCAT experience wasn't a walk in the park either. I ran in to a wicked tension headache following the PS portion, and spent my lunch break driving around for a fast food joint that didn't have a 30 minute line. had I scored a 14, you better believe I would have taken it again. Just think of how it looks to ADCOMs to take the MCATs once and only rock a 14.

This person (not me, and I wouldn't be afraid to admit it if it was me) was set on going to the carribean since the first semester they started college.

Their whole plan was to graduate in three years and then go straight to the carribean. She did finish in three years, with decent grades (3.2 gpa from cal berkeley), and was hoping to get in the lower to mid 20s on the mcat and from what she told me, she was scoring low 20s on the mcat.

She knew that realistically she could get into some carrib schools with perhaps a 23 mcat and a 3.2 gpa. She just didn't get the 23, but probably could have. She was being realistic and so far she does have an interview from ROSS and is waiting to hear from sgu, auc, and saba.

Members don't see this ad :)
mark v said:

This person (not me, and I wouldn't be afraid to admit it if it was me) was set on going to the carribean since the first semester they started college.

Their whole plan was to graduate in three years and then go straight to the carribean. She did finish in three years, with decent grades (3.2 gpa from cal berkeley), and was hoping to get in the lower to mid 20s on the mcat and from what she told me, she was scoring low 20s on the mcat.

She knew that realistically she could get into some carrib schools with perhaps a 23 mcat and a 3.2 gpa. She just didn't get the 23, but probably could have. She was being realistic and so far she does have an interview from ROSS and is waiting to hear from sgu, auc, and saba.

i feel badly for your friend...she'll be paying off a lot of debt 4-6 years from now :rolleyes: tell her to take the darn test over...what a quitter. take this from someone who sat on a med school admissions committee AND a student evaluation committee (students that get KICKED OUT of med school) for 4 years.

no joke.

The situation isn't nearly as simple as laid out. First, your friend can get into many Caribbean medical schools with a 14 on the MCAT. Good credit or abillity to pay, plus completion of premed requirements, are the real determinants of admission.

However, your friend will not be able to enter AUC, Ross, St. George or SABA with that score. So, if he or she plans on going to Cali, it would be wise to consider schools in Europe, Asia, or Africa. There are many of them that are happy to take US money.

Whether the friend will flunk out or not cannot be determined. Simply stating that someone made a 14 isn't enough information. Yes, it's bad but what factors surrounded that bad.. Was the friend going through some horrible personal situation, an undiagnosed learning disabillity perhaps, a language barrier, ect.. There are so many factors that have come into play.

And yes.. there are plenty of students in the Caribbean with supposedly "impossible" scores that are now doctors. No one can say for sure whether any person is prepared.

Brandon123 said:
The situation isn't nearly as simple as laid out. First, your friend can get into many Caribbean medical schools with a 14 on the MCAT. Good credit or abillity to pay, plus completion of premed requirements, are the real determinants of admission.

However, your friend will not be able to enter AUC, Ross, St. George or SABA with that score. So, if he or she plans on going to Cali, it would be wise to consider schools in Europe, Asia, or Africa. There are many of them that are happy to take US money.

Whether the friend will flunk out or not cannot be determined. Simply stating that someone made a 14 isn't enough information. Yes, it's bad but what factors surrounded that bad.. Was the friend going through some horrible personal situation, an undiagnosed learning disabillity perhaps, a language barrier, ect.. There are so many factors that have come into play.

And yes.. there are plenty of students in the Caribbean with supposedly "impossible" scores that are now doctors. No one can say for sure whether any person is prepared.

The person had only taken 1 semester of chemistry and one semester of bio and 2 semesters of physics. But has since finished all but her last semester of O chem.

Are there any european schools that allow for clinical rotations in the US?

MoosePilot said:
What is the point of wanting to be a doctor when some of your competitors made higher scores on one section. There are people on this board who beat a 14 on one single section!!

You really should want to at least have a comparable ability to take this test before going to school. Have some pride...

Becoming a doctor isn't a competition.

Reactions: 1 user
NRAI2001 said:
The person had only taken 1 semester of chemistry and one semester of bio and 2 semesters of physics. But has since finished all but her last semester of O chem.

Are there any european schools that allow for clinical rotations in the US?

If your "friend" did not complete all of the pre-reqs before taking the mcat, then your "friend" would probably score something like a 20 if those courses were completed. There are many schools in the caribbean that will take an mcat score of 14, but the top three schools would most likely reject her because of the low mcat score. Most likely does not mean she will definately get rejected, there are students with gpa's <2.5 or mcat's <20 that get in. They get accepted to sgu/ross/auc because the admissions commitee feels that they can pass the classes and usmle, and not because they want to make money. There are far more students that apply than those that get accepted. If you want an 80% or greater chance of getting accepted apply to one of the newer schools, but it's silly to attend a school in which you will not be able to practice in some states. Especially when your "friend" is in a situation in which she has a good gpa, and now that she has completed her pre-reqs she can most likely score a 25 or higher is she studied for the mcat. And with her gpa and an mcat score of 25 or higher, there is a very good chance that she would get accepted to one of the more established schools.

NRAI2001 said:
Becoming a doctor isn't a competition.

No? Competition is certainly part of it. Otherwise I wouldn't be working so darn hard at these apps, knowing about 50% of applicants get accepted nowhere.

NRAI2001 said:

HI,

She could apply to St. Matthews in the Cayman Islands. They don't require an MCAT score and would basically look at her gpa and activities in college for admission. Even though they don't have strict requirements you'll still see high mcats/gpas in a lot of the students that go here. The island was surprisingly very much like the US and their usmle pass rate is 85%. Hope that helps.

Sheral said:
HI,

She could apply to St. Matthews in the Cayman Islands. They don't require an MCAT score and would basically look at her gpa and activities in college for admission. Even though they don't have strict requirements you'll still see high mcats/gpas in a lot of the students that go here. The island was surprisingly very much like the US and their usmle pass rate is 85%. Hope that helps.

She would, but she is a cali resident and hopes to come back to cali. I heard it isn't possible for SMU students to return and practice in cali.

MoosePilot said:
No? Competition is certainly part of it. Otherwise I wouldn't be working so darn hard at these apps, knowing about 50% of applicants get accepted nowhere.

I think the percentage is like 57% get in somewhere. I don't know if thats just to US allo schools or if it also includes DO and carrib schools. Everyone I know that wanted to go to med school, ended up in med school. It might have not been their first choice, but it was a med school none the less. Many of my friends who were gunning for california schools, ended up at the carribean (SGU and ROSS), and a few ended up at DO schools in cali.

Your friend will get into Ross or AUC with that score provided their GPA is above 3.0. They didn't even take the MCAT a few years ago. Those schools have so much turnover that they don't mind accepting some at-Risk students knowing 20% of their inital class will drop out of the program. They don't mind taking your tuition for a quarter or two so if you fail out, it doesn't hurt them.

Reactions: 1 user
mr.weirdscience said:
Your friend will get into Ross or AUC with that score provided their GPA is above 3.0. They didn't even take the MCAT a few years ago. Those schools have so much turnover that they don't mind accepting some at-Risk students knowing 20% of their inital class will drop out of the program. They don't mind taking your tuition for a quarter or two so if you fail out, it doesn't hurt them.

Do u really think she stands a chance at Ross and AUC? I knew that before Ross didn't require mcat, but a year or two ago they started requiring it.

Update, SGU unofficially declined her (on the phone, but no letter yet). Ross is a bit hesitant to give an answer (asking her to retake the mcat, but no definite answer, on the phone).

NRAI2001 said:
Do u really think she stands a chance at Ross and AUC? I knew that before Ross didn't require mcat, but a year or two ago they started requiring it.

Update, SGU unofficially declined her (on the phone, but no letter yet). Ross is a bit hesitant to give an answer (asking her to retake the mcat, but no definite answer, on the phone).

hey,

i read your post about your friend and feel pretty bad for her. please let her know that i am a cal grad that will be attending st. george's this fall, and if she has any questions regarding admissions that she can contact me, pm me for contact info or any questions.

tell her good luck,

anh