MCAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

worried

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT in the Spring and scored a 20 combined. I am not pleased with my score. I was wondering what are my options. Can I still be competative with other aplicants, should I retake the test in August? I am worried that my scores will keep me out of Med school. I am currently in graduate school, and am doing well grade wise. I am kind of looking for advice and reasurrance that I should still apply

Members don't see this ad.

Was time management a major problem on the exam? If so, there are a lot of ways to work on that and you can vastly improve your score. However, it is my humble opinion that aside from time management, scores are very difficult to raise. If you speak English as a second language, there are ways to practice and improve your VR score. If you feel like you had a bad day and you could have done better, then take it again. These days, you are really needing to aim at a 30 or higher. Of course there are many other considerations for admissions.

AD

Worried,

Yes, you should be worried. However, don't let anyone, especially not the numbers squirrels that frequent these types of pages (and the misc.education.medical newsgroup), automatically rule you out based on a single data point (your MCAT score).

There is a student in my class, who's sporting a class rank well into the upper half of our class, that got a 21 on his MCAT. He's not alone; I know of at least one other that earned a 21 (on his second try, no less) and is currently 300 days from becoming a doctor.

I, on the other hand, barely had a 3.0 GPA, and got interviews at EVERY school I applied to (yes, smart guy, there were several), and NEVER got a rejection from ANY school at which I interviewed.

By this, I don't want you to think that numbers aren't an important part of the process, or that I'm suggesting that you not consider retaking the MCAT.

All I'm saying is that numbers don't tell the whole story.

Members don't see this ad :)
Worried,

Since the August MCAT is only about 4 weeks away, taking that may not be the smartest thing to do. I'd put off medical school for a year and study like a punk for the April 2000 exam. A composite of 20 is a pretty low score, as the national average is 24.

Unless there are other things about your application which may serve to explain the 20, your chances of getting into medical school in Fall 2000 are slim. While it seems true from the stories posted on the net, I've personally never heard of anyone getting into medical school with a 20 (or even getting interviews with that score).

Retake it. Study.

Tim of New York City.

Take a prep course and try the MCAT again. Frankly, 20 is kind of weak, although I won't say that it is impossible to get into med school with that score; but it is harder.

Try to get at least 24. If english is your second language, don't worry. Some schools will accept you even if you have 6 or 7 in verbal. However, you need to show strong science score. If you can get at least a 10 and a 9 in either science sction, your chances will increase.
Don't get discouraged. Getting into medical school is a " tough sport" You really have to work your way up and "sweat" a lot. However, if your strategy is well-planned, you can receive good reward at the end.

Good luck

[This message has been edited by Henry (edited July 22, 1999).]

Retake it, no doubt.

Jim Henderson, MD of http://medicalstudent.net