Mcat self help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shayeshaye123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently returned back to school to add science to my bachelor’s degree, in order to apply to medical school. I will be finish with all of my classes in spring of 2019, but I was told I could apply this year even though I’m not finished. I just have to take the MCAT; I know easy right, lol. Well I’m currently in calculus 1, Bio 1, Advance Chem 1. I will take Chem 2, and calc 2 in the summer. Physics 1 and 2 along with organic 1 and 2 i can’t take until the fall and spring. My question is do you think I could pass the MCAT or teach myself enough orgo and physics to pass? I have to take the mcat prior to applying; so around August. I don’t have many options on waiting, because my husband is active duty military and we move quite a bit so I need to get accepted somewhere to get grounded! Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I have recently returned back to school to add science to my bachelor’s degree, in order to apply to medical school. I will be finish with all of my classes in spring of 2019, but I was told I could apply this year even though I’m not finished. I just have to take the MCAT; I know easy right, lol. Well I’m currently in calculus 1, Bio 1, Advance Chem 1. I will take Chem 2, and calc 2 in the summer. Physics 1 and 2 along with organic 1 and 2 i can’t take until the fall and spring. My question is do you think I could pass the MCAT or teach myself enough orgo and physics to pass? I have to take the mcat prior to applying; so around August. I don’t have many options on waiting, because my husband is active duty military and we move quite a bit so I need to get accepted somewhere to get grounded! Thanks in advance.

Taking the MCAT in August is too late for MD unless you have an unbelievably strong app. That late would be acceptable for DO I believe.

My advice is to not rush things. Finish your classes, take the MCAT in the Spring, and use the intervening year to
-Nail that 4.0
-Write your personal statement, prewrite some secondaries, get all of that edited over and over until they shine like diamonds
-Create your AMCAS account and open an app and practice filling it out, including courses
-Consider what to put in your EC section with the related essays for "most meaningful experiences." Polish these short essays too.
-Study for MCAT with a proper foundation and study schedule, ideally looking to take next March to receive score in April and fire off app in May (because everything is already polished and will only require you to cut and paste, right?)
-Apply in the 2019-2020 cycle with confidence, and apply broadly.

Reactions: 1 user
Why is that too late if the school’s last test date that they accept is September 19? Also, I’m not so sure about studying abroad, because I’m not sure how that works coming back to the states. I’ve been told not to do that.

Why is that too late if the school’s last test date that they accept is September 19? Also, I’m not so sure about studying abroad, because I’m not sure how that works coming back to the states. I’ve been told not to do that.

You never want to be one of the last apps they review (unless you have an app that is just completely bonkers and guaranteed to land you an interview anyway).

I don't know how much you know about the application process, but I'll type it all out here for your benefit, and for anyone who uses the search function (ha) and somehow lands here.

1. Primary: this is the AMCAS. Consists of:
--Personal information going back to childhood incl parents information
--Every course you've ever taken since the start of your undergraduate career (in detail, some schools have limitations on how old your prereq courses can be)
--Your high school
--Your MCAT scores
--List of experiences (ECs; extracurriculars, shadowing, leadership, volunteering, etc) with 3 designated as most meaningful with accompanying short essays,
--Personal statement (PS; typically why medicine)
--Letters of recommendation (LORs; many schools place requirements on these)

2. Secondary: typically a collection of short essays and a fee, meant to give medical schools a better look at who you are and how you fit their mission/vision/culture and cover anything that needs to be covered but wasn't in the primary. Varies depending on school.

3. Interview: this can be traditional format, multiple mini format, or a combination of the two. CUSM includes a personality questionnaire in their interview format as well, not sure how many schools do that too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many medical schools will simply not review your primary until it is complete. Assuming you put together everything else, including getting your transcript verified by AMCAS, sending strong LORs via Interfolio, and polishing your PS... taking the MCAT in August means your scores will not be reported until September, which means your primary will not be reviewed until late September, so you won't even be issued a secondary until late September or early October. Assuming you submit ASAP, they might not get to reviewing your complete application until late October, November, or even December.

Doesn't sound like a big deal, what's a few months, but medical schools typically practice rolling admission, so they earlier the app is sent in, the better. Interviews are typically held starting late-Fall/early-Winter. Some will start earlier, some will start later. Consider that there are also thousands of applicants, to the point where many schools face ~100 applications per seat. For example, even CUSM which opened their apps in Feb, received over 2500 apps for an inaugural 50 slot class that will be taught at a temporary campus. CNUCOM received nearly 8000 applications for their 90 slot class (which is really more like 60 slots because they have 3 different accelerated BS/MD programs and a post-bacc program to account for).

A large majority of these thousands of applicants will be submitting in May, when the application cycle opens (1.5 weeks from now). So with rolling admissions, your app would really only get consideration AFTER the completed primaries + secondaries from May, June, July, August, and maybe September have undergone scrutiny and interview invites have been sent out for those deserving of them. If you think your overall application is strong enough to garner an interview invite at that point, when medical schools only have a few left and are typically holding them for any exceptional candidates that might appear, an August MCAT date would be acceptable. Now I'm not saying your application isn't strong, I am just trying to cover all the bases because I simply don't know what your application looks like.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I’m not so sure about studying abroad, because I’m not sure how that works coming back to the states. I’ve been told not to do that.

If you can, avoid Carribean and abroad (Australia, UK, Asia, Canada, etc). The issues with being an international medical graduate (IMG) are many. Schools that don't teach towards US Step board exams, plus being the last in the pecking order for residencies, will make your life extremely difficult. Not that it can't be done, but if you can go US MD or US DO, especially with the upcoming MD/DO residency merger, it will be so much better for you.

I will post a few details of my application for you, so you can understand at least once of the applicants you may be going against:

Personal details
-27yo non-traditional Asian male, graduated UC Davis in 2012, BS Medical Microbiology
-5 years work experience as medical coder/biller
-started successful small business in college
-517 MCAT (95th percentile at the time), taken Sept 2, 2017
-LizzyM score: 66
-Post-bacc program

ECs
-3 years basic science research experience
-2 research poster presentations, 1 nationally recognized undergraduate research award
-2 research publications
-3 years coaching experience at local elementary school for multiple sports
-2500 hours of clinical volunteering and shadowing (far too many really)
-various other leadership and volunteer experiences

And I consider myself a low/middle tier applicant because of my GPA. Long story short, I was told by a lot of schools that despite my strong MCAT score, it was so late in the game I would be better served completing my post-bacc program and applying May 2018 for the new cycle. One school highly encouraged me to send in an application, so I applied to that one school, got a late interview (Feb) and managed to get an acceptance in March.

I also applied to CUSM in late Feb when they opened their application, just in case I didn't get an acceptance, but I didn't even get an invite for a secondary. Fun stuff, but you live and you learn. Thankfully I was blessed with an acceptance, and now I can't wait to start in the fall.

These are just my 2 cents, and I hope they help you somewhat. If you want to push and try for the 2018 cycle, it can be done, but you're more likely to end up wasting money and ending up as a reapplicant for the 2019 cycle.

My question is do you think I could pass the MCAT or teach myself enough orgo and physics to pass?

I think the short answer is "no". It's just too much to take on board in that short of a time. Also, your MCAT score is arguably the linchpin of your application - you want to do as well as you possibly can. It's also something you don't want to take more than once if at all possible.

Use the extra time to get a top score and do some volunteering.

Reactions: 1 users
As a rule, you should never expect to be able to fully teach yourself new material (as in, before you took the class) to be sufficient enough to succeed on the MCAT. I would definitely echo what has been said about not rushing.

You never want to be one of the last apps they review (unless you have an app that is just completely bonkers and guaranteed to land you an interview anyway).

I don't know how much you know about the application process, but I'll type it all out here for your benefit, and for anyone who uses the search function (ha) and somehow lands here.

1. Primary: this is the AMCAS. Consists of:
--Personal information going back to childhood incl parents information
--Every course you've ever taken since the start of your undergraduate career (in detail, some schools have limitations on how old your prereq courses can be)
--Your high school
--Your MCAT scores
--List of experiences (ECs; extracurriculars, shadowing, leadership, volunteering, etc) with 3 designated as most meaningful with accompanying short essays,
--Personal statement (PS; typically why medicine)
--Letters of recommendation (LORs; many schools place requirements on these)

2. Secondary: typically a collection of short essays and a fee, meant to give medical schools a better look at who you are and how you fit their mission/vision/culture and cover anything that needs to be covered but wasn't in the primary. Varies depending on school.

3. Interview: this can be traditional format, multiple mini format, or a combination of the two. CUSM includes a personality questionnaire in their interview format as well, not sure how many schools do that too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many medical schools will simply not review your primary until it is complete. Assuming you put together everything else, including getting your transcript verified by AMCAS, sending strong LORs via Interfolio, and polishing your PS... taking the MCAT in August means your scores will not be reported until September, which means your primary will not be reviewed until late September, so you won't even be issued a secondary until late September or early October. Assuming you submit ASAP, they might not get to reviewing your complete application until late October, November, or even December.

Doesn't sound like a big deal, what's a few months, but medical schools typically practice rolling admission, so they earlier the app is sent in, the better. Interviews are typically held starting late-Fall/early-Winter. Some will start earlier, some will start later. Consider that there are also thousands of applicants, to the point where many schools face ~100 applications per seat. For example, even CUSM which opened their apps in Feb, received over 2500 apps for an inaugural 50 slot class that will be taught at a temporary campus. CNUCOM received nearly 8000 applications for their 90 slot class (which is really more like 60 slots because they have 3 different accelerated BS/MD programs and a post-bacc program to account for).

A large majority of these thousands of applicants will be submitting in May, when the application cycle opens (1.5 weeks from now). So with rolling admissions, your app would really only get consideration AFTER the completed primaries + secondaries from May, June, July, August, and maybe September have undergone scrutiny and interview invites have been sent out for those deserving of them. If you think your overall application is strong enough to garner an interview invite at that point, when medical schools only have a few left and are typically holding them for any exceptional candidates that might appear, an August MCAT date would be acceptable. Now I'm not saying your application isn't strong, I am just trying to cover all the bases because I simply don't know what your application looks like.

Thanks, I decided to wait and try for early acceptance for next year I think so should start in February? I’ll be done with orgo 1 and physics 1 so I’ll get some tutoring starting in December and build my application.