MCAT Study Plan and Resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deweystrontium

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm an incoming college freshman and I'm interested in studying for my MCATs. Currently, I'm going through Khan Academy's course in its entirety just to familiarize myself with the topics. I'm entering college as a bio-medical engineering major and I'm planning on ordering my Princeton Review Master Complete Set.

I'm planning on taking my MCAT early junior year. I've taken Organic Chemistry 1 and Psychology during high school (at a university). I've taken AP Chemistry and Physics. I haven't officially taken biology but I've worked in various labs (done westerns, protein purifications, transformations, mouse models) so I guess I know biology, at least molecular biology.

Most of the resources I'm currently using are MOOCs. I'm currently studying biochemistry online through EdX and I've watched MIT OCW Physics lectures. Thankfully, nothing on the MCAT topics list is unfamiliar to me (excluding some obscure physics things and stuff like the Nernst equation which I studied a while back). I complete the MCAT Question of the Day, and I've used Quizlet to memorize things like the amino acids, blood clotting cascade, hormones, etc. The only anatomy and psychology experience I have is with an introductory online class on Coursera. Are there better A&P resources?

I know it may seem really odd that I'm starting to prep this early and I know that I'll probably take the classes in school, but I really want a perfect 99th percentile score on my MCAT and a near perfect GPA. Since bio-medical engineering bogs people down with advanced math classes and stuff, I hope to at least make my pre-med requirements bearable. The earlier start I get on the material, the better.

For sociology, I've read the free OpenStax textbook and I don't know if that's adequate. I've printed out the topics list and foundational concepts, but I would really like to know what study plans people suggest.

Also, can someone give me some advice as to how to study for the specific MCAT subjects? Like for psychology, I've been studying from flashcards since its mostly just terms and definitions. I don't know if that's the best way to study for the new 2015 test, since it's apparently so integrative.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh god... I don't even know where to start. What is up with these neurotic premeds who haven't even begun college yet?? Just relax!!! You haven't even started college. It's great you're so motivated but you will experience severe burn out if you continue at this rate. This is your summer between high school and college... Please take some down time and reward yourself for starting college soon. Don't worry about the MCAT right now.

Reactions: 1 users
Read the MCAT 2015 FAQ in my signature. Check out the various resources available.

Then close the tab, take a deep breath, realize that many people are able to score very highly without studying 3 years in advance, and vow to spend your time enjoying life while you can. Your focus should be doing well in your prereqs and getting involved in meaningful activities, not studying for a test that is only one (albeit major) part of your application.

Hey all. I'm an incoming college freshman and I'm interested in studying for my MCATs. Currently, I'm going through Khan Academy's course in its entirety just to familiarize myself with the topics. I'm entering college as a bio-medical engineering major and I'm planning on ordering my Princeton Review Master Complete Set.

I'm planning on taking my MCAT early junior year. I've taken Organic Chemistry 1 and Psychology during high school (at a university). I've taken AP Chemistry and Physics. I haven't officially taken biology but I've worked in various labs (done westerns, protein purifications, transformations, mouse models) so I guess I know biology, at least molecular biology.

Most of the resources I'm currently using are MOOCs. I'm currently studying biochemistry online through EdX and I've watched MIT OCW Physics lectures. Thankfully, nothing on the MCAT topics list is unfamiliar to me (excluding some obscure physics things and stuff like the Nernst equation which I studied a while back). I complete the MCAT Question of the Day, and I've used Quizlet to memorize things like the amino acids, blood clotting cascade, hormones, etc. The only anatomy and psychology experience I have is with an introductory online class on Coursera. Are there better A&P resources?

I know it may seem really odd that I'm starting to prep this early and I know that I'll probably take the classes in school, but I really want a perfect 99th percentile score on my MCAT and a near perfect GPA. Since bio-medical engineering bogs people down with advanced math classes and stuff, I hope to at least make my pre-med requirements bearable. The earlier start I get on the material, the better.

For sociology, I've read the free OpenStax textbook and I don't know if that's adequate. I've printed out the topics list and foundational concepts, but I would really like to know what study plans people suggest.

Also, can someone give me some advice as to how to study for the specific MCAT subjects? Like for psychology, I've been studying from flashcards since its mostly just terms and definitions. I don't know if that's the best way to study for the new 2015 test, since it's apparently so integrative.

I would sign up for all the MCAT question of the days. As for A&P you could always just get a textbook and find some test banks and use your Quizlet. Make sure you talk to your adviser and see what he/she thinks but make sure to get 2nd and 3rd opinions. Register for your classes as early as possible so you don't get shafted into taking something you don't want or at a time you don't want. Start wondering what is the best way to retain stuff in the long-run as that course you take Freshman year will show up on the MCAT so you don't want to have the knowledge gone. I venture to say the more work you put into those courses the better off you will be come review time.
You can "enjoy" life after you get your perfect GPA and perfect MCAT. Starting now is better than later.