MCAT Study Schedule Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cugatron

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm taking my test on 5/19 so starting tomorrow it'll officially be 19 days till my test. I work full time so it's been kinda tough, but I've been pulling through. I took the MCAT for the first time on April 2015 and scored a 499 (126,126,125,122). I was still in school at the time and I didn't really study as much as I should have. This time around I'm more on top of it. So far I've done the following:

Sample test: 53%/77%/58%/76%
SB: CP 42%, BB 52%, PS 63%
NS Diagnostic: 123, 125, 125, 127
NS FL1: 127, 125, 126, 128

My schedule till the day of my test is as follows (will be taking a vacation from work from 5/10-5/22):
5/1 Review CP Section bank + Bio QP1
5/2 NS FL 2
5/3 Review NS FL 2
5/4 Bio QP 2
5/5 Review Bio QP 1 and 2
5/6 NS FL3
5/7 Review NS FL 3
5/8 CARS QP 1
5/9 Chemistry QP + Retake PS SB
5/10 AAMC FL 1
5/11 Review AAMC FL1
5/12 CARS QP 2 + Retake BB SB
5/13 NS FL 4
5/14 Review NS FL 4
5/15 Physics QP + Retake CP SB
5/16 AAMC FL 2
5/17 Review AAMC FL 2
5/18 REST DAY
5/19 TEST DAY

I know it's a long post but I would appreciate any input on ways to improve my schedule. I'm really aiming for a 508+

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

That sample test was taken before or after content review?
Took it some time into my content review, but had been mainly focusing on the PS section. I never took Psych and had a crappy Sociology teacher in undergrad so I had to teach myself all of the important concepts. I think I'm okay with that now so I've been focusing on making sure the other sections are up to par.

Ok. I was just going to say that the score would be worrisome if it was after finishing content review.

I think you may be overloading yourself with FLs. I'd take away a couple of the NS FLs to focus on content - flashcards, going over your notes, re-watching videos or whatever you do.

Also, I'd write AAMC FL #1 ASAP, before the cancellation deadline for your MCAT passes. Should you get less than your target score, I'd strongly consider putting off your test.

I would take AAMC FL's as soon as possible, since the full length practice exams are written by the same people who write the actual exam. For most people, the AAMC FL's serve as the most accurate gauge of their performance and really simulate test day conditions.

I see a sufficient number of FL practice exams within your last few weeks, but please please please make sure you DO NOT burn yourself out prior to taking the actual exam. Rule of thumb, even with most exams you take, is that you know what you know within the last week prior to your exam administration.

Best of luck, and I hope you get your improved score you are aiming for!