MCAT Test Date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmb129

Pre-med Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone... just looking for some opinions here.

I know that applying early is a HUGE must. So, I want to get everyone's opinion on a taking the MCAT for the first time on June 17th. The MCAT is a test that you only want to take once, so I want to be sure that I am ready. With Spring Semester classes in full swing, it makes it rather hard to study for the MCAT as well. So, by taking it in June, that will leave more time to devote strictly to MCAT. But is that too late to take it?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

It is important to take the MCAT when you are ready; like you said, no one really wants to take this test twice.

If you take the MCAT on June 17th, your results will not be available until 4-6 weeks later (usually 4), at best mid-June, worst case early August, which means that your AMCAS application will not be complete until that time at the soonest.

Late applications affect students in different ways. If a student is a stellar applicant, then they may not feel any of the effects of a late application. If the student is either an average or below-average applicant a late application can translate into fewer interviews; in some extreme instances, no interviews. Also, a late application usually translates into later interview dates, which can obviously have a negative effect when schools practice rolling admissions.

If you do decide to take the June 17th MCAT and still plan on applying this cycle, there are a couple strategies that are commonly used. If you are confident that you are going to apply regardless of your score, you can submit your AMCAS application in early June. That way while you are waiting for your MCAT results, AMCAS will be verifying your transcripts (a process that can sometimes take 2+ weeks). Obviously, you don’t want to wait until you receive your MCAT results to submit because that can tack on an additional 2 weeks to an already late application. If you are not sure about applying to lots of programs given that you won’t know your score, you can simply submit your application with one school listed (the AMCAS application only needs one school to submit and start verification, once your results are available you can decide to add more schools, a process which does not delay further dissemination of your application).

Good Luck.

- admissions committee interviewer / senior medical student

Hey everyone... just looking for some opinions here.

I know that applying early is a HUGE must. So, I want to get everyone's opinion on a taking the MCAT for the first time on June 17th. The MCAT is a test that you only want to take once, so I want to be sure that I am ready. With Spring Semester classes in full swing, it makes it rather hard to study for the MCAT as well. So, by taking it in June, that will leave more time to devote strictly to MCAT. But is that too late to take it?

Thanks for the help!

I am in a very similar situation. I will be taking the MCAT on June 17th (though I originally had set out to take it in Apr. 23 so results come in well before June 1st). I decided to stick to the June 17th date but at the same time work on the application itself. You can begin working on the AMCAS app. online starting begining of May. Not to say that you cant be doing anything in the mean time. Use this time to request for your LORs and around the last week of Apr. request all your transcripts to be sent to AMCAS. Complete your application well before June 1st and submit the app. in June without your MCAT scores. The score wont be available until sometime around mid July or early Aug. at the latest like the above post mentioned. But once that score is in your complete up until that point. Pretty much Ive summed up a portion of my app. process.
As far as being considered an early applicant; true we wont be complete until around mid July but I dont know how much that will hurt us. I considered waiting until next cycle to apply due to late MCAT date but I decided (with many factors considered) that I will apply this cycle.
Lastly, take this forum for what it is... advice from people who have been there and done that but dont let dictate your actions. Good luck:)