MCAT test date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobaholic05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there an ideal time to take the MCAT, besides taking it when you are ready? Not the end of summer since many study during the summer?

Members don't see this ad.

Summer before you apply would be best if you can get all your pre-reqs done in time.

After you finish your prereqs but before June of your application season.

Members don't see this ad :)
I won't be applying until 3 years from now though. I heard that the AAMC establishes a curve beforehand

You can take up until august of the year you are applying. It will be a late and risky application but it is still an application. I would recommed, the summer before junior year, the winter break of junior year or may/june of the application cycle.

I'd say the summer before you apply, after you've finished as many of your pre-reqs as possible. Use your summer to really study and focus to knock it out of the park. If worse comes to worst, then you have the year to re-take. I'd say the latest you should be aiming to take it is April or May of the year you are actually applying.

I think the summer of application worked best for me because the "all or nothing" feeling helped motivate me to study. Then again, this might come back to haunt me when I get score back. I don't think retaking in August is a viable option for me.