MCAT Test Fear

Started by walden2
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

walden2

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I am a student who took MCAT 2 twice but voided both tests because of the fear. I could not even finish the exams.
I just had really bad test anxiety both times and I did fine in tests during my college years. And, I have to overcome this fear and finish the test next time.
I guess my anxiety comes from the fact that I cannot predict what I will receive on the test. I also have fear and hope to get really good score on the MCAT exam.

I took Kaplan course. And, the practice Kaplan exam gave me scores from 30 to 33
but I only received 29 or 30 in AAMC practice exams. So, I cannot predict an honest score of what I will receive....
Also, English is my second language that I have some insecurity in reading and always feels like native speaker test takers wll have breeze on reading questions and passage while I am struggling. I would like to know the comprehension difficulty levels the native English speakers feel on the passages and problmes in science and reading sections.

A wise advise would be very well appreciated, Thank you very much.
 
Arent kaplan scores much harder than the actual exam?

Anyway, you really have to let go of this fear otherwise you're literally throwing 240 dollars down the drain per exam and, more importantly, wasting time, every time you void the test means another 2-9 weeks for review for the next exam, 2-9 weeks that could be used more productively. This time gap also keeps you from applying to medical school which can lead to a year gap (depending on when you take the time MCAT).
Seriously man up and try not to void. (or only void if you are confident (not a hunch) that you are gonna get a sub 30 score.)

As for your question on VR, alot of people (foreign born or not) have problems with VR. Its just a matter of working at it till you get it down.
 
I agree with the above post. I was born and raised in the US, and I still have trouble getting a 10 on verbal. And the general consensus is this - after your exam, you're not going to feel confident. No one does. You just have to hope for the best and submit it. I've heard of people complaining about thinking they got sub 25 and ending up with a 39. You NEVER know which passage they'll toss out for being experimental and you never know how generous the curve is. Quit wasting time and money. Get it over with, buddy!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree with the above post. I was born and raised in the US, and I still have trouble getting a 10 on verbal. And the general consensus is this - after your exam, you're not going to feel confident. No one does. You just have to hope for the best and submit it. I've heard of people complaining about thinking they got sub 25 and ending up with a 39. You NEVER know which passage they'll toss out for being experimental and you never know how generous the curve is. Quit wasting time and money. Get it over with, buddy!

They throw out passages? What?
 
They throw out passages? What?

If your test has an experimental passage, it won't get used towards/against your score. So it won't matter if you get it right or wrong. The idea behind it is to set up a statistical bell curve for future test takers.
 
This is directly from the AAMC website:

"Note: Each of the three multiple-choice sections includes some experimental items. Experimental items do not count toward your score."
 
Thank you for everyone's feedback
I received 30 on the MCAT with 8 on the verbal.
It is not an excellent score, but I think it is good.
and in future if anyone reads this, you can do the MCAT. dont fear it!