Mcat Test Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kittii

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Anyone took kaplan in-person prep course ? I might take it in summer . Any feedback would be valuable

Thankyou

Members don't see this ad.

TL;DR: I found the Kaplan books really helpful but the course itself fairly useless.

You spend a lot of the time just practicing their tactic of making outlines for all the passages, which I found just ate up precious time since I rarely even looked at it. Could vary person to person, but I got a 519 without making any outlines at all. Other than that, I honestly couldn't tell you what we did in class because in hindsight it just seems like filler. Their materials are solid but the classes are just unnecessary and add very little IMO.

Sorry I don't mean to change the topic of the thread, but I was wondering if anybody knew if the new Kaplan MCAT 2015 Second Edition (July 2015) was any different than the First edition (July 2014)?

Members don't see this ad :)
yes I have both copies and they are EXACT same. I wasn't thinking right when I purchased the first copy and that too for a lot of money:yeahright: :bigtears:

yes I have both copies and they are EXACT same. I wasn't thinking right when I purchased the first copy and that too for a lot of money:yeahright: :bigtears:

Thanks for letting me know! I'm trying to work with a very low budget. Hope you have luck selling one of them back out!

Reactions: 1 user
I would suggest saving your money and studying on your own. My friend and I both performed similarly in Organic Chemistry, and my friend went with a prep company and I decided to study on my own for the MCAT. He scored a 515 and I was able to score a 522. I am sure we both worked equally hard, but I think the difference comes from being able to control your study and being able to use the best resources. Test prep companies will train you using their resources, which includes very few of the official AAMC practice problems (problems written by the people who wrote the MCAT!). During my study I found test prep companies' practice exams and practice questions to be subpar. I feel like they take you off track more than help you. I would suggest making a study plan that uses various resources (AAMC, Khan, Kaplan, Princeton, ExamKrakers). Variety is your friend.

Also, if you feel like you need more structure/someone to guide you through the study process and help you with challenging questions, I would suggest finding a tutor. Test prep companies will charge you outrageous prices for tutoring. If you search around online, you can find better deals on tutors. It is helpful to tutor with someone that performed well on the exam already and can give you peace of mind about your preparation.

Lastly, I enjoyed studying on my own because I was able to make the plan that worked for me. I was able to study from home and study only as much as I could each week (very helpful since I was still taking classes during my exam prep). Best of luck with your preparation!

Last edited: