MCAT this Spring, how am I looking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pichot

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA:3.4 (I've made 2 B's in the past 2 years. Terrible Freshmen year. If all goes according to plan this will be at 3.5 when I graduate.)
sGPA:3.75

EC's:
- President for two years of religious organization on campus (through this organization had 300+ hours of volunteering)
- 150 hours at the VA hospital fooling around in the nuclear medicine clinic
- Short term medical mission to El Salvador
- Counselor at a summer youth camp for 3 months
- Lots of pedi E.R. shadowing. Helped with gluing kids heads shut etc.
- 2 month internship in Brazil at a church. Some clinical experience involved.
- Campus job in student admissions.
- I'l be shadowing an orthopedic surgeon and internist this Fall, and will also be involved in the pre-med club on campus and will also hopefully be going to Haiti for some volunteering.

I understand I have fairly good stats for getting into a D.O. school assuming I do well on the MCAT, but at the moment I really want to attend M.D. I'm a Sociology major and will be done with all upper division major courses this Summer and will be finishing the pre-reqs this Fall and Spring.

Any suggestions for improving my shot at an M.D. school?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

cGPA:3.4 (I've made 2 B's in the past 2 years. Terrible Freshmen year. If all goes according to plan this will be at 3.5 when I graduate.)
sGPA:3.75

EC's:
- President for two years of religious organization on campus (through this organization had 300+ hours of volunteering)
- 150 hours at the VA hospital fooling around in the nuclear medicine clinic
- Short term medical mission to El Salvador
- Counselor at a summer youth camp for 3 months
- Lots of pedi E.R. shadowing. Helped with gluing kids heads shut etc.
- 2 month internship in Brazil at a church. Some clinical experience involved.
- Campus job in student admissions.
- I'l be shadowing an orthopedic surgeon and internist this Fall, and will also be involved in the pre-med club on campus and will also hopefully be going to Haiti for some volunteering.

I understand I have fairly good stats for getting into a D.O. school assuming I do well on the MCAT, but at the moment I really want to attend M.D. I'm a Sociology major and will be done with all upper division major courses this Summer and will be finishing the pre-reqs this Fall and Spring.

Any suggestions for improving my shot at an M.D. school?
Thanks

Assuming you end with a 3.5, an MCAT of 26-28 puts you in good standing for DO schools (note that some would require a DO letter). An MCAT of 29-30 gives you a shot at interviewing --> waitlist --> possible acceptance at MD schools. You would be a great candidate for DO.

MCAT 31-33 = reasonable candidate for 'low' tier MD schools, distant shot at 'mid' tier.
MCAT 34-35 = strong candidate for 'low' tier, great shot at 'mid' tier.
MCAT 36-37 = 'low' tiers become 'safety,' several 'mid' tier interviews, a shot at interviewing at 'top' tier.

You can extrapolate the rest.

Note that your apparent lack of research combined with 3.5 GPA will make it tough at top tier. The rest of your ECs are great.

150 hours at the VA hospital fooling around in the nuclear medicine clinic

Sounds promising... lol :laugh:

GPA - ok
ECs - above average. No research may limit you from top schools.
MCAT - ? Aim for 32+
LORs - ?
PS - ?
Interview - ?

What you have right now is good, but your acceptance will be largely dependent on your MCAT and the rest of the empty fields. As long as you do good in those, I'd say an MD acceptance is very likely.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you get a 30 or above there is no reason you shouldn't get an M.D. acceptance somewhere. Just make sure you apply broadly and maybe throw some DO schools in there for true "safeties."

Your chance at MD schools rests with your MCAT score, so consider taking a formal prep course, maybe Kaplan or Princeton Review so you rock it the first time around. Two to three months of dedicated study time will help a lot, too.