MCAT / Too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kelmed531

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm about to apply to strictly DO schools and according to AACOMAS, I've got a cGPA of 3.59 and an sGPA of 3.44. I have all my ECs in order and I'm shadowing a physician at the moment who I hope to get an LoR from. I took the Kaplan MCAT diagnostic today and I got a 20 (B:8, P:7, V:5), which I hope to bring up to the high 20s or higher. Now, I have yet to take the MCAT and I've signed up to take it on July 12th, which gives me just over 8 weeks to study for it. I'm planning on using Exam Krackers material as well as Kaplan resources.

Considering all this, I have a couple questions:
1. What should I be shooting for on the MCAT with my GPA? I'd ideally like to go to MSU, but that seems to be one of the tougher DO schools to get into unfortunately (I believe the average is a 27 there).
2. Is 8 weeks of intensive (6 hrs + / day; 5 days/week) going to cut it?
3. Would it be smart to give myself more time and take the MCAT in mid August or will that simply kill my chances of getting into a school since I'd be applying in September (i.e. late)?

I appreciate any useful feedback guys. Best of luck on your own applications.

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to know this too. Would it be too late if someone take MCAT on 8/2/14?

IMPORTANT FACT --> I'm a nobody. So, my thoughts are just my thoughts.

If you have everything done by the time your mcat comes out (early september), I don't think you are LATE. Definitely not "EARLY" but not LATE. Why? DO cycle is longer than MD, and september isn't really that late......?....

Or you could sit out this cycle and take more time to study....
(is this my way to get rid of a competition? maybe.....)

Members don't see this ad :)
High 20s.

1. What should I be shooting for on the MCAT with my GPA? I'd ideally like to go to MSU, but that seems to be one of the tougher DO schools to get into unfortunately (I believe the average is a 27 there).

Only you can answer that.

2. Is 8 weeks of intensive (6 hrs + / day; 5 days/week) going to cut it?

Yes, especially given your VR deficits. Are you ESL? The DO cycle is longer and even getting your app in by Dec will still be fine. End of Jan is pushing it.

3. Would it be smart to give myself more time and take the MCAT in mid August or will that simply kill my chances of getting into a school since I'd be applying in September (i.e. late)?

Thanks for your help, Goro. I am indeed ESL, and although I did well on the TOFEL, clearly I will need to really practice the verbal. I'll try to get at least an 8. I suppose what I will do then is take an August MCAT, see how I do and then take another one in October if need be (hopefully not). Any advice on how to study for verbal? I hear its mainly just tons of practice. Again, thanks for your insight, Goro.