MCAT topics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thechairman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
are we supposed to know:

1. the pinacol rearrangement, Hoffman rearrangement/degradation, and other reactions involving nitrogen based compounds, such arenediazonium compounds, hydrazine, wolff-kirshner, etc?

2. co-ordination compounds

Members don't see this ad.

Geeze i hope not, i dont know any of those by memorization, i just learnt the basics on how functional groups work, and so far in my PTs its been working.

If you know how something works you can usually deduce the answer, although knowing all those reactions would make it easier

yeah i haven't encountered those so far, save a passage on hoffman, but EK says we really need to know them

The EK can be full of s*** sometimes :)

I wouldn't really worry about those, as long as you know the general trend of the mechanisms and you know why they happen. If it does show up, I am sure there will be information provided in the passages so that you may deduce the right answer.

"The EK can be full of s*** sometimes"

And that goes both ways. Careful how much stock you put into the EK authors telling you what will or won't likely be on the test -- they've been wrong before.