MCAT Verbal Question!!!~~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matrix

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!!~~~

Ok, here's my question. my professors + advisors told me that to increase my MCAT scores on any section; practice! practice! practice!!!! doing MCAT questions + go back to the questions that i got wrong and study them by going through old lecture notes, or find out why i got it wrong by looking at the explanation in the answer section.
Now, for Bio + Phys sci sections, this method kind of works for me. When i get a question wrong, i know why i got it wrong + it helps in the future practice questions because i can see which information i was lacking when i read the answer section. For example, i'll know i got #7 wrong because i was lacking information on protein synthesis. Next time when a bio question related to protein synth pops up, i would have already studied + know detailed info about protein synth and get that question right.
The verbal section is a different story. No matter how many times i analyze that passage or know the reason why i got a question wrong, it still won't help in the future practice exams because the chances for a similar passage or info coming up on the verbal section ... 0 .... will it help if i analyze + read the answer keys in detail about a passage about the French revolution for my future verbal practice MCAT ... not for me ..
i know some of the tactics about how to approach the verbal section, for example, start with the passage that you're most confident with ..etc ... but how can you 'actually' review or study the questions that you got wrong so that you won't make the same mistake in the future?? .... is there a point in going back to the questions that i got wrong and analyze the entire passage again + try to figure out why i got the question wrong??? (for the science sections, i think this method works pretty well because while you're doing this, you get to pick up so much more information that you may have forgotten or just didn't know about)
or shall i just continue doing verbal passages, analyze what i got wrong using the description from the answer keys, so that oneday, something will just 'click'???
is there any other way of studying for this section other than continously doing the verbal practice questions + read Times, JAMA, The Economist, The NYT etc everyday??
English is my second language by the way and i just can't get a score higher than 6 on my practice verbal exams!
help!!!~~~~

Members don't see this ad.

hi, Im in about the same situation as you..but one thing that helps is to read the passages for structure and not content. pay close attention to how ideas are organized within the passage..dont pay attention to words you dont know or details because you will lose time if you try to do that. I need help with it too...if anyone else has any tips. My verbal scores have always been the lowest and I never understand why.

Another question if anyone holds the answer: If you have low verbal scores and an good score on the writing sample, can the writing sample score offset a low verbal score? Ex: 6V/R

The writing section is usually ignored by ALL schools...during interviews...I have NEVER had anyone comment on the "Q" I got on my writing sample...but they have commented on the 11 I got on the verbal section.
I wouldn't count on the writing sample for any type of counterbalance..Sorry..
As far as improving Verbal...read the New York Times, Scientific American..acclimate yourself to that style of writing..as it is a bit of a higher reading level.
Best of Luck!!