Mcat Verbal Sources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
V

vo-zhd

Hey guys, i know that TPR recommended a list of books to read for verbal, such as Theory of literature, hero and 1000 faces, etc. I checked the aamc practice tests and passages from those books indeed appear very often. The other sources in aamc practice tests are the newspapers like scientific american, harper, nyer,etc.

But also in TPR diagnostics, TPR verbal book, and EK practice passages they often use passages out of completely different books/novels. for example autobiography of mozart is completely different from the books cited above. so those of you who've taken the real mcat, do you think i could expect passages from books like autobiogrpahy of mozart, hemingway, montaigne or any other random stuff? or it would be mostly what i've described in the 1st paragraph?

Members don't see this ad.

When did TPR give a list of reading material? Can you list it here? Thanks.

When did TPR give a list of reading material? Can you list it here? Thanks.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=3199405&postcount=7
they give this list in the tpr course, or at least they used to before it became cbt. also you could compile a similar list of books if you just went over aamc tests 3-9.

but i've never taken a real mcat. and the tpr, ek, or any other practice tests often do not use these texts nearly as much as the aamc test 9 for example. so i was wondering if those who have actually taken a real mcat encountered these texts or any other texts you might suggest? i.e. "biography of mozart" or some random psych book has come up often in tpr diagnostics!

reading books that MCAT passages may have come from seems like overkill to me. The chances that even one passage will come from the book are probably slim, and you won't even remember it well enough to have it help you. I think its better just to practice tons and get used to reading boring stuff and answering the types of questions they like to ask..

No you may not specifically remember a passage on the MCAT, but it will show you what kind of reading level you need to be at in order to do well and understand the passages.