MCAT vs. GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j306c954

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if there is anyone else out there who diligently prepared for a took the MCAT at some point (however many times), and is now preparing to take the GRE.

I have taken the MCAT (as well as prep courses) in the past, and now I have started going over some stuff and doing practice sections for the GRE. I wasn't putting all too much effort in because I was just curious to see how I would do, and ended up scoring at least 50th percentile in all the sections.

I have some friends currently in DPT programs telling me that I probably don't need to do all too much preparing for the GRE (even though I will). But I'm considering just taking it in a couple weeks to see how I do.

I feel as if compared to the MCAT, the GRE is child's play. Anyone else ever taken the GRE after the MCAT and feel the same way?

Members don't see this ad.

I have some friends currently in DPT programs telling me that I probably don't need to do all too much preparing for the GRE (even though I will).

I'd take this with a grain of salt considering the average GRE score for accepted PT applicants is around the 50% percentile or just over 150. There are quite a few schools that rank the GRE highly, and quality studying for even just 20-30 hours has the potential to benefit you tremendously and make a large difference in your application. I'm a huge proponent of also preparing for the writing section, many people neglect this and in my opinion it's easy to boost your score by .5 with just some token preparation.

I haven't taken the MCAT, but I can imagine studying is more important for that test because it has actual biology / physics / chemistry conceptual content, for example differentiating between transcription, translation, and transformation. The GRE is more limited to logic and lacks the expectation that you remember your prereqs (and while you should know various math rules for the quant section, it's structured so that if you're sharp you can figure it out).

The MCAT is certainly harder, but the goal of the tests is different. The MCAT primarily tests factual knowledge . The GRE, while there is a bit of factual knowledge in the sense of knowing how to do basic math and knowing the definitions of words, is much more focused on evaluating your ability for logical reasoning and rationalizing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the MCAT before the 2014 test change. I scored a 30 which was right around 80th percentile at the time. All the studying I did was out of a Kaplan book a friend let me borrow and the practice exams offered on e-MCAT.
Took the GRE in 2014 and did considerably less studying. Q - 158, V - 160, W - 4.0
The MCAT requires a more extensive knowledge base. It just takes more time and dedication to prepare for. What is similar between the exams is test-taking strategy. Don't spend too much time on a question, mark it, move on, come back if you have time. Test prep is similar as well since I consider one of the more important aspects of studying for a standardized exam is simply practicing taking that exam. Best way to study for the MCAT? Practice taking old MCAT exams. Best way to study for the GRE? Practice taking old GRE exams.
If you're prepping for the GRE as thoroughly as you would for the MCAT, you'll be more than prepared.

The MCAT is one thousands times more difficult as the material requires comprehensive knowledge on various bio-chem subjects. Also, the strong competition really makes the curve difficult. The MCAT is very important to admission committees because it tests material that directly relates to knowledge necessary for medical school.

The GRE is a general knowledge test unrelated to the direct study of physical therapy. It requires almost as no knowledge as it is mostly comprised of commonly used vocabulary and algebra. It shows some aptitude, but is not a direct measure of necessary knowledge like the MCAT. The average scores would probably be higher if it weren't for the fact that engineering grad students are very competitive on the math portion. Yes, it is important and you should try your best, but it is not viewed anywhere near as important as the MCAT or LSAT for admission purposes. Some schools just want to see you hit the 50% and don't really care much more about it. Other schools will give it more weight just not as much as medical schools give the MCAT. Either way you do not want to leave points on the board or end up having to take it again because you couldn't hit the magic number.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Why did you take the MCAT? Are your applying to both Medical School and DPT program? Just curious as most people would not sit for the MCAT unless necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

In my opinion, you can't compare the two as the two test things that are completely different.
I'm sure everyone would agree that the MCAT is extremely hard but saying that because you took the MCAT the GRE is child's play doesn't make a lot of sense to me because if you're great at sciences but struggle with reading, writing, understanding and quantitative reasoning then you could still struggle on the GRE.
If you want to do well on the GRE, study for the GRE. If you already feel like you don't need to study and you're satisfied with the grades you get on the practice tests without putting effort that's awesome, but don't let your previous MCAT experience give you a sentiment of false confidence.

Reactions: 1 user
Why did you take the MCAT? Are your applying to both Medical School and DPT program? Just curious as most people would not sit for the MCAT unless necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Originally I was planning on applying for an MD program. The first time I applied, I did not get in because of my MCAT score (I have taken it twice). This time around, I am going to apply for DO programs as well as DPT to keep my options open. I already have everything I need for DO so I figured I might as well! I am applying to DO programs that I meet the minimum MCAT requirement for.

In my opinion, you can't compare the two as the two test things that are completely different.
I'm sure everyone would agree that the MCAT is extremely hard but saying that because you took the MCAT the GRE is child's play doesn't make a lot of sense to me because if you're great at sciences but struggle with reading, writing, understanding and quantitative reasoning then you could still struggle on the GRE.
If you want to do well on the GRE, study for the GRE. If you already feel like you don't need to study and you're satisfied with the grades you get on the practice tests without putting effort that's awesome, but don't let your previous MCAT experience give you a sentiment of false confidence.
They actually both employ extremely similar test-taking skills, especially with reading comprehension. The verbal reasoning section of the MCAT is like the verbal reasoning section of the GRE on steroids. The MCAT is most certainly not simply being good at sciences. That's only maybe half of it. Have you taken both exams?

They actually both employ extremely similar test-taking skills, especially with reading comprehension. The verbal reasoning section of the MCAT is like the verbal reasoning section of the GRE on steroids. The MCAT is most certainly not simply being good at sciences. That's only maybe half of it. Have you taken both exams?

Ohhhh okay I see. My bad then, I wasn't aware of that. I took the GRE but not the MCAT. My sister is halfway done with medical school and when she was studying for the MCAT and telling me about it I was under the impression that it only tested sciences and social sciences. I apologize!

This time around, I am going to apply for DO programs as well as DPT to keep my options open.

Not attacking you here at all, just bringing up the point that you sound like you kinda still need to decide what you want to be when you grow up. The practice of medicine and the practice of physical therapy are very, very different and neither functions well as a "backup plan" for the other.

More importantly, if you don't have the stats to get in to at least one DO program you probably won't get into PT school either (unless your MCAT score really is your only issue and you do well on the GRE). Many PT schools have higher average GPAs than DO programs. And have you really spent the necessary time shadowing both physicians and PTs to be able to apply to both?

Seems like if you have, and if you are in a position to be able to attend either program, you ought to be thinking about which field you truly want to go into. You will spend your career as a PT wondering what might have been if you do it just because you happened to get accepted to a PT program and didn't happen to get accepted to medical school.

Last edited: