MCAT while taking ochem 2 and fall schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

k12123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I searched this topic but most of the threads were about taking the MCAT before taking ochem 2 altogether and they were relatively old. I am hoping to apply next cycle and intend to take the exam in January. My planned schedule for the fall is:

(15 units)
Ochem 2 w/ lab
Directed UG Research
French 1
Statistics

French should be fairly easy since i've had 4 years of the language in the past. Stats should be doable, and research from what i've heard is very easy. So the only challenging course should be chem. However, is it risky to be studying for the MCAT while ochem 2 is still in progress?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you are already naturally good at VR, remember most of the PS topics since you last took the prereqs, AND have really good time-managment skills, I think it's a bad idea.

Unless you are already naturally good at VR, remember most of the PS topics since you last took the prereqs, AND have really good time-managment skills, I think it's a bad idea.

I'm naturally decent at VR, remember most of the ps topics and have ok time management skills. I took the bare minimum class load and I'm still struggling to find consistent study time. OP will still be learning mcat material whereas I have been reviewing everything.

Avoid the noid op. Find a time where you can study mcat and only mcat. Trust me, you'll score better doing it that way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice guys! I can probably pull it to april of next year so I can have my score back by May just in time to apply as early as possible. The only thing is that if I have school, which of course means midterms and quizzes and whatnot. The reason I wanted to take it late January is so that I have about a month of sheer studying without schoolwork to worry about. Is it wiser to take it in April when I have all of the prereqs under my belt even if coursework is involved rather than late January? Thanks!

Studying for the MCAT during the school year is often a challenge. I would recommend preparing intensively for the MCAT this summer, including covering the Organic II material. This would position you ideally to review the material in your fall/ spring courses and take the MCAT in Spring '14.

Studying for the MCAT during the school year is often a challenge. I would recommend preparing intensively for the MCAT this summer, including covering the Organic II material. This would position you ideally to review the material in your fall/ spring courses and take the MCAT in Spring '14.

I plan to start studying around September or October using SN2ED's 3 month plan. Since school ends around mid-December, I have more than a month to just practice with ochem II under my belt if I take it late January. Do you guys think I should add genetics to my schedule? I hear mixed reviews about it, some deem it to be essential, others think that the material covered isn't something you can't learn from a reviewer. My fall schedule will then look like this:

Ochem II/L
Genetics
French I
Psych

Thanks!

I would keep the stats and take the genetics later. Stats is an easy A that helps your BCPM, genetics requires more effort which equals less time for MCAT studying.

Thanks for the advice guys! I can probably pull it to april of next year so I can have my score back by May just in time to apply as early as possible. The only thing is that if I have school, which of course means midterms and quizzes and whatnot. The reason I wanted to take it late January is so that I have about a month of sheer studying without schoolwork to worry about. Is it wiser to take it in April when I have all of the prereqs under my belt even if coursework is involved rather than late January? Thanks!

If you have the capability of taking a light/easy class load in the Spring then I would wait until April. You could still put in the time prepping in January, it doesn't hurt to start studying early. With that being said, I'm going to take the MCAT in a few weeks without having taken Ochem2, and it is much easier "reviewing material" then "learning material" as you study.

If you have the capability of taking a light/easy class load in the Spring then I would wait until April. You could still put in the time prepping in January, it doesn't hurt to start studying early. With that being said, I'm going to take the MCAT in a few weeks without having taken Ochem2, and it is much easier "reviewing material" then "learning material" as you study.

All the luck to you Jazzy! Let me know how it goes!